John Schneider interview about his post draft thoughts

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Couple notes of interest:

LINEBACKERS:

Said they considered taking some linebackers in the later rounds (5th-7th), but strategically decided not to because they could sell UDFAs on the fact that they didn't take any linebackers and that they would have an opportunity to compete for a spot. They opted to pick up o-linemen instead because they're actually deeper in that position, which makes it a harder sell to UDFA linemen.

RUNNING BACKS:

Said Michael and Ware were the two tougest, most aggressive runners in the entire draft. "The top two."

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":pw1ah76n said:
Said Michael and Ware were the two tougest, most aggressive runners in the entire draft. "The top two."

He's right. And Ware is #1.

The more I study Ware, the more I think Seattle got the highest upside RB in the draft (Michael) and also the most under-rated (Ware).

SDHawk

Reaction score
Kearly, in your opinion, was it Ware's vision or his oline that was responsible for his terrible rushing average?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SDHawk":3d5oti70 said:
Kearly, in your opinion, was it Ware's vision or his oline that was responsible for his terrible rushing average?

I didn't watch enough LSU games to know this for sure, but I think I've read that he was used in a lot of short yardage situations. This probably skews his YPC average down quite a bit.

SDHawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":hnj9vbnu said:
SDHawk":hnj9vbnu said:

I didn't watch enough LSU games to know this for sure, but I think I've read that he was used in a lot of short yardage situations. This probably skews his YPC average down quite a bit.

Thanks David, that actually makes lots of sense. He was the power back in their RBBC.

Hawks46

Reaction score
His average probably got screwed by the fact that the guy actually looks for contact. Hell, he thrives on it.

It's uncanny; I look at Ware and see Marion Barber with a spin move.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
THE JUGGERNAUT!!!
Spencer ran like a man on a mission. He was one of my favorite players to watch the past few seasons.
He started getting lost and used less when LSU had some more RB's start tearing it up, Michael Ford, Alfred Blue, Kenny Hilliard, Jeremy Hill, and most considered good enough to be starting for A LOT of teams .
But he was by far my favorite and most exciting one to watch. I will miss his Gold tipped tiger dreads.
He was also pretty good on the Baseball team too.