Sounders Season Thread - Sigi is STAYING

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Defense (from the midfield back) was a shambles last night. But really more the back line. The cbacks were awful in marking and horrific with the ball.... and that is with a near 60-40 possession advantage. Yedlin again at fault for the goal. Naive marking as Wondo ran past and he failed to drop and mark. He just has to realize that's the MLS' best scorer there.

Everything about the Sounders attack (aside from the cbacks having the ball) was solid except the final third. And this is why I asked the question on identity. Zak seemed genuinely irritated to be taken off but wasn't adding much down his side. The best attacks came down the right swinging in switches to Yedlin. Dangerous there. But even with some decent attempts they lacked finality and cohesiveness in the box. Maybe it is as simple as missing Montero but what I saw last night was much different in build up then the counter attacking style with Montero last year.

3 games in, 1 goal, 1 point. Only 3 against but they need a finisher. I know EJ was missing, and the Earthquakes away was always a tough test. But I think there are some signs for concern there

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Sounders had a decent game, fairly solid, they did enough for a draw, just didn't get it. We are at the bottom of the table right now, and its going to be tough to change that in RSL. Estrada and Ochoa were a handful upfront but they couldn't get the job done. I thought Zakuani was one of our better players vs San Jose (either him or Traore). He went at the RB all game, and is showing some big leadership on and off the field. IMO he will have the armband by the end of the season. We just missed the final ball.

Yedlin has been called up to the U-20 USMNT, and will miss time this season. Which concerns me a bit. Johansson was our back up there, and with him out of the picture, that leaves Zach Scott to take the spot in the 11...that, or Brad Evans. Which is extremely possible. Sigi loves Evans, and we have a really, really crowded midfield. It'd be nice to get Brad on the field and I think he could play right back pretty well.

Both Evans and Shalrie Joseph are reportedly fit now and available for selection vs Salt Lake. Martins is back as well. EJ and Mario are still with the national teams I believe.

I'm curious to see how this team evolves.

Oh, The Sounders also put a little bit of that Johansson money to use (around 60k of it) by signing Defender Ashani Fairclough (20, Jamaica/South Florida) and Striker/Midfielder Phillip Lund (23, Denmark).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Its getting late early on this Sounders campaign

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Can't score, can't stop the other team from scoring, can't consistently hold onto the ball in the midfield. And I'm getting real tired of constantly seeing shots of Sigi standing on the sideline with a befuddled look on his face. Seattle's lucky MLS doesn't have relegation.

Tattooedseahawk

Reaction score
I would say in response to the idea that they should be lucky there is no relegation with that simple fact. They don't and in any league with a playoff system, one has plenty of time to turn it around.

I think many people are getting spoiled as the Sounders have had far more success during it's short time in the MLS than I ever expected. Sure, there are many aspects of their game that frustrates the heck out of me which I hope they can turn around. That said, it is only a handful of matches.

As for the semi final, it is yet another home first leg in which they don't take an advantage of before heading down south for the 2nd leg.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
SeatownJay":14mi61zt said:
I think the Sounders have replaced the Mariners as the Seattle sports team with the worst offense.

They have a group of willing creators but nobody wants to brace the ball. It is considerably worsened by the fact that Johnson and Martins are nursing injuries.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Please, someone, anyone in rave green, put the ball in the back of the net.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
It's times like these when it would have been nice to have Montero. At least, he knows how to put the ball back of the net. I felt at the time, they were a bit hasty in letting Montero on a loan. I know it had to do with DP and finances. They should have planned better before loaning him that they had a solution in place. Even with Montero, they have trouble scoring now it's much worse. It's more compounded by the fact that Martins and Johnson are hurt. However, Johnson hasn't had much effect in the games he's played thus far this year. I think they should try to bring Hercules Gomez into the fold. I think he would be a great add. He's the attacking forward (type of player) they need.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3m0qz1ao said:
I think they should try to bring Hercules Gomez into the fold. I think he would be a great add. He's the attacking forward (type of player) they need.
There's no way Gomez leaves Mexico for MLS. The money and the quality of competition are too good down there for him to come back right now.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":5hr93txt said:
hawkfan68":5hr93txt said:
I think they should try to bring Hercules Gomez into the fold. I think he would be a great add. He's the attacking forward (type of player) they need.
There's no way Gomez leaves Mexico for MLS. The money and the quality of competition are too good down there for him to come back right now.

Good point. I know it's a bit of pipe dream. I believe Sporting KC has rights to him should he come back to the MLS.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
There is a rumor out right now that the Sounders have entered preliminary talks with Santos Laguna and Sporting KC to bring Herculez Gomez to Seattle. That would be absolutely awesome.

knownone

Reaction score
Smurf":15yeigwu said:
There is a rumor out right now that the Sounders have entered preliminary talks with Santos Laguna and Sporting KC to bring Herculez Gomez to Seattle. That would be absolutely awesome.
Odd, where would he play? Seattle already has 2 talented forwards, do they intend to move on from EJ? Who is younger and ATM a lot cheaper than Herc would be.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
I would not mind moving on from EJ. As effective as he has been, when on the pitch, he presents himself as the player that worries about personal accolades more than the team's effectiveness.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2ovtb6er said:
I would not mind moving on from EJ. As effective as he has been, when on the pitch, he presents himself as the player that worries about personal accolades more than the team's effectiveness.

I just dont see that in EJ. He's always going to be pushing his time at the Sounders to lead into an invite from the USMNT, but i dont see that as negatively impacting the team. Maybe im missing it.

With the struggles the Sounders have scoring (it seems historic at this point) shouldnt they look to keep as many goal scorers as possible? Martins and EJ up top, Gomez underneath. Keep Traore and Zak out wide, tuck Alonso in with Gomez to protect.