So NBA player Jason Collins is gay.

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
So NBA player Jason Collins is gay.
Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:49 pm
  • Does anybody care? Good for him for having the balls to come public with it, but its too bad he had too. If youre straight, be straight. If you're gay, be gay. You don't have to announce either one to me.

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... out-as-gay
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Re: So NBA player Jason Collins is gay.
Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Does anybody care? Good for him for having the balls to come public with it, but its too bad he had too. If youre straight, be straight. If you're gay, be gay. You don't have to announce either one to me.

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.

I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-o ... out-as-gay

Well hopefully one day we'll be there.

Where no one cares either way. But until that point, dude has some guts to step out. Good for him. :th2thumbs:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 pm
  • I don't think its big news because he's gay, it's big news because someone finally broke the ice.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:04 pm
  • It's a non issue to me. Hopefully the media doesn't make it bigger than it is.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:09 pm
  • Nice to see so many fellow players supporting him. Gay people aren't going anywhere, it's time to stop expecting them to hide so that the mentally small people of the world don't have to "feel uncomfortable" with it.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:26 pm
  • Nobody cares. The bigger news is David Stern coming out as a giant douche.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:28 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Nobody cares. The bigger news is David Stern coming out as a giant douche.

He might be playing for the other team too.

But anyway, good for Collins, probably took a lot of courage, I'm sure we'll get some more athletes coming out now.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:43 pm
  • Contrary to the media saying so, he's not the first athlete to come out and say he's gay. Former OS DL and Packer Esera Tuala was open about being gay in the 90s.

I beleive most people dont honestly care about this, it's just the media trying to stir the pot. If a hawk came out today, it wouldn't change my view of him at all.
    Last edited by CPHawk on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:49 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Nobody cares. The bigger news is David Stern coming out as a giant douche.

+1
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:53 pm
  • Hawknballs wrote:Nice to see so many fellow players supporting him. Gay people aren't going anywhere, it's time to stop expecting them to hide so that the mentally small people of the world don't have to "feel uncomfortable" with it.

Growing up I heard so many adults say "we are giving up too much" and I wondered what they were talking about. Now that I have kids and am older I understand and can see the trend and where it is leading. The future isn't going to be a pretty place for our children.

There are many things that people used to consider "wrong" that have become "alright". While some of those things may not have been as wrong as others it has changed our quality of life.

A bolt is made for a nut, you can't hold anything together using 2 bolts, or 2 nuts. If your selling one without the other, sorry, but no matter what you say, I ain't buying.

Gay people want acceptance so they can deal with thier guilty consience. We all make choices in life and we all have to live with the consequences. I see no reason why anyone should accept something they consider to be wrong. To me the issue couldn't be any clearer and I find it disturbing reality of the state of our society. Reality people, get there
    Last edited by sprhawk on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    sprhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:19 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    Seahawk Sailor wrote:Nobody cares. The bigger news is David Stern coming out as a giant douche.

He might be playing for the other team too.

But anyway, good for Collins, probably took a lot of courage, I'm sure we'll get some more athletes coming out now.

Yeah, ha ha. Stern has kind of got that big fat bottom, J. Edgar Hoover, vibe goin.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:21 pm
  • sprhawk wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:Nice to see so many fellow players supporting him. Gay people aren't going anywhere, it's time to stop expecting them to hide so that the mentally small people of the world don't have to "feel uncomfortable" with it.

Growing up I heard so many adults say "we are giving up too much" and I wondered what they were talking about. Now that I have kids and am older I understand and can see the trend and where it is leading. The future isn't going to be a pretty place for our children.

There are many things that people used to consider "wrong" that have become "alright". While some of those things may not have been as wrong as others it has changed our quality of life.

A bolt is made for a nut, you can't hold anything together using 2 bolts, or 2 nuts. If your selling one without the other, sorry, but no matter what you say, I ain't buying.

Gay people want acceptance so they can deal with thier guilty consience. We all make choices in life and we all have to live with the consequences. I see no reason why anyone should accept something they consider to be wrong.

What about two bolts and four nuts?
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:29 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:What about two bolts and four nuts?

Now your talking a whole other ball game (pun intended)

I say upfront that it is extreme but pedofiles have to live in hiding too and guess what they don't think they are doing anything wrong either.
    sprhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:45 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:Contrary to the media saying so, he's not the first athlete to come out and say he's gay. Former OS DL and Packer Esera Tuala was open about being gay in the 90s.

I beleive most people dont honestly care about this, it's just the media trying to stir the pot. If a hawk came out today, it wouldn't change my view of him at all.

The difference is that Tuaolo came out after he retired, Collins is the first athlete to come out while still active.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:04 pm
  • What the hell is the nba? First currently active openly gay athlete doesn't count if its in a league that doesn't exist
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 pm
  • Does anyone really care? I think most reasonable folks have better things to do in their life then worry about if somebody's gay.
    Last edited by Shock2k on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm
  • Threads like this are perfect for updating my ignore filter.

Good for him, and I'm glad he did. It may seem like not that big a deal to people who live on the West Coast, which I think speaks to the progressiveness of the region in general, but leave coastal Washington/Oregon/California and you'd be surprised.

Maybe someday it genuinely won't be an issue and won't need to be announced, but for now, it's a pretty big milestone for professional sports.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:27 pm
  • Hmm, according to some post here, an active professional athlete coming out as gay is a big deal to some.

I think it's great, bigots are losing this battle and this 'should' not be a big deal but it is as long as people care about what sexual behavior others practice.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 pm
  • 12th_Bob wrote:Hmm, according to some post here, an active professional athlete coming out as gay is a big deal to some.

I think it's great, bigots are losing this battle and this 'should' not be a big deal but it is as long as people care about what sexual behavior others practice.

Just like with everything if it doesn't affect you why care right? Nice attitude maybe someday you might care about someone other than yourself. My brother was lured and almost molested by a gay man who tried to get him drunk. My brother introduced him to baseball and the famous Wilson line of bats.

Crazy people are only a little step below gay people imo. Dig a little into any gay person you know and you'll uncover the truth. Almost all of them had a childhood molestation occur. What makes it worse is they become convinced that if they can get others to accept them it will make it better. Sounds like a disease to me.

I hope no one ever has to deal with reality of effed up people but to support them isn't cool.
    Last edited by sprhawk on Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    sprhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Re:
Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:36 pm
  • sprhawk wrote:I hope no one ever has to deal with reality of effed up people but to support them isn't cool.

Great, that's why I'm taking your advice and adding you to my ignore list. It's a sad fact that small-minded bigots like you will always exist, but hopefully in another 10 years or so society will have evolved and left you as the small fringe minority you deserve to be.
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 am
  • sprhawk wrote:
    Lords of Scythia wrote:What about two bolts and four nuts?

Now your talking a whole other ball game (pun intended)

I say upfront that it is extreme but pedofiles have to live in hiding too and guess what they don't think they are doing anything wrong either.

Yeah but they are, that's the difference. If you've ever seen what that does to a kid you would absolutely know why it is. HUGE, HUGE difference between 2 consenting adults having sex and what a pedophile does. (Child molesters should be executed on their 2nd offense IMO.)

Oh, and learn to spell a word before breaking it out.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:16 am
  • There's something oddly familiar about sprhawk.....
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:12 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:There's something oddly familiar about sprhawk.....

Luckily, I'm never going to have to find out what it is. Welcome to the ignore list, bigot.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:34 am
  • Great for him to do this and I am quite sure there will be more to follow. I remember when one of my favorite metal singers of all time came out....Rob Halford.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:35 am
  • volsunghawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:There's something oddly familiar about sprhawk.....

Luckily, I'm never going to have to find out what it is. Welcome to the ignore list, bigot.

When in Rome eh. Maybe the true hatred is on the other foot.

Notice I'm not angry? People with mental problems need help. Hear of any bad news stories lately, just keep on ignoring the problems, I'm sure they will go away.
    sprhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:44 am
  • sprhawk wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

Notice I'm not angry? People with mental problems need help. Hear of any bad news stories lately, just keep on ignoring the problems, I'm sure they will go away.

Interesting you mention mental problems. :roll:

I hope someone goes away.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:45 am
  • sprhawk wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

Yep. I'm sure of it.

hi prelag.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:52 am
  • Either that or some crazy Westboro Baptist Church member wandered unto our board.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:01 am
  • sprhawk, this thread is about Collins and the impact of him coming out, not your own bigotry. Please step out of it.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:17 am
  • It's nice that humans can finally start being openly gay like they were in Greek and Roman times and like so many other animal species are, without shame.

Hooray progress.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:58 am
  • There's gay black dudes? From Stanford? Huh...not what Ahmajinedad told me.

I'm just glad its an NBA player. The NBA is simply BETTER at handling such issues. It's PA, players, ownership everything are light years more progressive than any other sport. It's the ONLY professional sport without instituionalized racism. MLB, NFL, NHL, Soccer all have loads of juicy racism that can be seen.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:20 am
  • sprhawk wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:Nice to see so many fellow players supporting him. Gay people aren't going anywhere, it's time to stop expecting them to hide so that the mentally small people of the world don't have to "feel uncomfortable" with it.

Gay people want acceptance so they can deal with thier guilty consience. We all make choices in life and we all have to live with the consequences. I see no reason why anyone should accept something they consider to be wrong. To me the issue couldn't be any clearer and I find it disturbing reality of the state of our society. Reality people, get there

100% in agreement
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:42 am
  • Another bigot, welcome to Ignore.
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:21 am
  • It's fine to have conflicting views on these types of high-interest topics, but if you feel the need to openly express your views on the subject, please take it to the PWR forum and keep it out of our sports forums. Thanks.
    Love ya Les! You're in my thoughts every time I "Check my PM's"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:22 am
  • RockHawk wrote:It's fine to have conflicting views on these types of high-interest topics, but if you feel the need to openly express your views on the subject, please take it to the PWR forum and keep it out of our sports forums. Thanks.

Wow, yet another bigot. Welcome to my ignore list.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 am
  • lol
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 am
  • pehawk wrote:Wow, yet another bigot. Welcome to my ignore list.

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats other people with hatred, contempt, and intolerance on the basis of a person's:

race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, language, socioeconomic status, or other status.

So let's play a game, what doesn't belong in the list above?

Answer - Sexual orientation / Gender identification are asking you to believe a lie.

All others are Truths.

There are good and bad people in every walk of life.
    sprhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:06 am
  • Lol hope you had fun on the board, bro.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:08 am
  • I guess the bright side is that this thread has only caused 2 bigots to pop their heads up ... they'll always be there, and there's no way to reason with them or change their minds: the prejudices and misinformation are just too ingrained ... but the numbers are dwindling. Society evolves slowly, but it does evolve.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gay_marriage
    I'm sick of chasing after my dreams. I'm just going to find out where they're headed, and catch up with them later.
    - Mitch Hedberg
    vedthree
    * NET Sage *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:17 am
  • As long as homosexuality is a minority group I expect "coming out" to be a deal. However, I expect eventually that "coming out" will be something done much sooner and with more support. Of course when it comes to the player's prowess on the court I expect a time very soon where their sexual openness has absolutely nothing to do with whether they make the team or not.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 am
  • jack_patera wrote:A bolt is made for a nut, you can't hold anything together using 2 bolts, or 2 nuts. If your selling one without the other, sorry, but no matter what you say, I ain't buying.

If only simple colloquialisms could solve all of societies great debates. Yet, they don't, because they are just ignorant generalizations.
    12evanf
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:29 am
  • lol I don't see what the big deal is, whats the harm in letting people do their business if it isn't hurting someone?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:41 am
  • sprhawk wrote:
    Answer - Sexual orientation / Gender identification are asking you to believe a lie.

Funny, every legit scientific study I've heard of points to these things bring inborn, not choices.

What evidence have you to the contrary?
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 am
  • It absolutely amazes me that an athlete can literally commit murder and fans will continue to support them yet those same fans can't forgive someone because they like to put a body part somewhere that they don't.
    35!
    AHH-OOH!
    KK84
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:01 pm
  • Spounge84 wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:Contrary to the media saying so, he's not the first athlete to come out and say he's gay. Former OS DL and Packer Esera Tuala was open about being gay in the 90s.

The difference is that Tuaolo came out after he retired, Collins is the first athlete to come out while still active.

Yeah, but barely. He isn't signed by any team, and he's 34 almost 35. There is no guarantee he will be the first "active" athlete who's gay.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:40 pm
  • Wow, that was some of the most reactionary, anecdotal bull I've come across in a while. Most adults here seem to have a strong grip on reality (I applaud those); but sometimes you have to step back in amazement and almost shock at the responses an action like this will get out of people.
    NFL, all your Owlz are belong to us!
    12th_Bob
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:39 pm
  • I wonder what sprhawk would think of Russell Wilson came out. Would you support him?
    SkittlerLynching
    NET Practice Squad

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:42 pm
  • SkittlerLynching wrote:I wonder what sprhawk would think of Russell Wilson came out. Would you support him?

That would be hilarious. I doubt it, but hilarious none the less.
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:44 pm
  • SacHawk2.0 wrote:
    SkittlerLynching wrote:I wonder what sprhawk would think of Russell Wilson came out. Would you support him?

That would be hilarious. I doubt it, but hilarious none the less.

I'm thinking 75% of this board would be trying to date him.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:48 pm
  • :lol:
    SkittlerLynching
    NET Practice Squad

Next

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information