My favorite part of this draft...

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
...is that it was no stress. It was really fun to just watch the off-the-wall approach. Normally, I'm on the edge of my seat hoping we address an urgent need. I didn't feel we had any urgent needs this time around. Were there some positions we wanted to address? Sure. Obviously, as most of us expected, DT was on the slate. But the rest kind of seem like luxury/depth/future picks.

There was no stress, because the roster was stacked heading into this one. Making a killing in free agency/trades (Harvin, Avril, Bennett, Winfield) combined with an already talented roster allowed us to take a different approach this time. And I'm cool with it.

We drafted for the future way more than we did in Pete and John's first 3 drafts. It's nice having a roster as talented and as deep as ours that allows us to do that. LT and FS screamed "need" in 2010...Okung and Thomas were picked. QB, DE and MLB screamed "need" in 2012...Wilson, Irvin and Wagner were born.

This front office will have some hard decisions in the coming years, mostly cap driven. In these picks, you can see they are more than aware of that - no surprise. I would not be stunned to see Robinson, Rice and Miller potentially packing after this season, let alone quite a few other "name" guys. Our 2014 UFA list is a pretty good crop of core players.

Anyways, this draft just felt different.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Agreed. In fact it was just downright exciting seeing what talent we added to this loaded ass roster.

They didn't disappoint

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to this new era where the team isn't scrambling to fill holes. They'll be planning a year, two, even three in advance and working to keep replacing the middling/depth guys with new blood each season. And if we continue to perform well, lots of teams will be coming after our middling FAs.

I predict that we'll start to see the Seahawks collecting mid-round compensatory picks with regularity, and relying even more heavily on the draft to keep the roster young.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2kwbpkec said:
I'm looking forward to this new era where the team isn't scrambling to fill holes. They'll be planning a year, two, even three in advance and working to keep replacing the middling/depth guys with new blood each season. And if we continue to perform well, lots of teams will be coming after our middling FAs.

I predict that we'll start to see the Seahawks collecting mid-round compensatory picks with regularity, and relying even more heavily on the draft to keep the roster young.

Yep. You said it better than I did.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
volsunghawk":2wlcr85h said:
And if we continue to perform well, lots of teams will be coming after our middling FAs.

Good point.

Throwdown

Reaction score
You didn't get atleast a tad antsy when it said our pick was in, in round 2? I did.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Throwdown":5hf3khqo said:
You didn't get atleast a tad antsy when it said our pick was in, in round 2? I did.

Excited? Yeah. Antsy? No... because I just knew it was going to be something completely different than what people other than Kip were expecting. :p

Jac

Reaction score
My favorite part of this draft is that there was definitely a theme of athletic violence throughout. We're going to outright bully teams outside our division.

salamander

Reaction score
Way to rest on your laurels! It's our duty as fans to be as stressed and antsy and critical as possible. You've really let the team down this year.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Definitely the case with this draft. Nailed it beautifully. It has gone from "OMG OMG OMG I hope they don't screw this up with a bust!" to "Hmm, wonder who our next rookie studs will be."

And count me in as someone who has thought of getting a bunch of mid-range compensatory picks in the upcoming years too. This team has just way too much talent not to let some real great guys walk.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I was pretty stress free on this draft as well.
I watched it with a Miami fan, and he was perplexed at them not getting a left tackle the whole draft. He is still perplexed. I wonder if Ireland and Ruskell are related...

My least favorite part of this draft was NFLN's terrible coverage. Mayock is the only guy worth listening to on their broadcast, and the last few rounds were pretty much the alternating Barkley/Geno Smith show.

Jac

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2ndsltly said:
My least favorite part of this draft was NFLN's terrible coverage. Mayock is the only guy worth listening to on their broadcast, and the last few rounds were pretty much the alternating Barkley/Geno Smith show.

I love when Mayock visibly showed his disgust when Eisen brought up Teo yet again. The only reason that Teo's draft position was a story was because of the off field stuff. ILBs tend to start going in the second as a matter of practice unless the talent is truly elite.

rsm650

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":p9niy47j said:
We drafted for the future way more than we did in Pete and John's first 3 drafts. It's nice having a roster as talented and as deep as ours that allows us to do that. LT and FS screamed "need" in 2010...Okung and Thomas were picked. QB, DE and MLB screamed "need" in 2012...Wilson, Irvin and Wagner were born.

And in 2011, Sherman was born :thirishdrinkers:

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":138ahh0u said:

The ESPN coverage suffered this year as well. They replaced Chris Berman and John Gruden with Trey Wingo. I really hope that isn't a permanent change. It was extra disappointing for me because I'd been waiting months to hear Gruden call "I told you so" during the 2013 draft.