Projecting impact for Seattle's rookie's in 2013

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
A piece looking at the rookie's and how they might fit into the 2013 picture. I think Jordan Hill in particular could have a surprisingly big impact. Think there's also an interesting take on Christine Michael's role.

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/projecting ... es-rookies

"Arian Foster arrived in 2010, establishing himself as one of the best running backs in the NFL. Houston still spent a second round pick on Ben Tate in 2011. That year, Foster recorded 1224 yards and ten touchdowns. Tate managed 924 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie. The move allowed the Texans to spell Foster and limit his carries to 278 for the season (49 less than 2010). When Tate got injured during the 2012 campaign, Foster again had to pick up the slack and had a career high 351 carries. Lynch had 315 in 2012 (5th most in the NFL) and the Seahawks might want to get that down to around the 260-285 mark (Frank Gore had 258 carries last year). Drafting Michael allows them to do that and like Tate in 2011 he could see around 175-200 snaps."

Feel free to aggressively disagree. Or, if so inclined, you know... agree.

Tumblr m1cvznb1881rqfhi2o1 400

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Brock was sayin Jordan Hill as well...... Im going to say Jesse Williams, I think he starts from day 1.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2fccv52i said:
A piece looking at the rookie's and how they might fit into the 2013 picture. I think Jordan Hill in particular could have a surprisingly big impact. Think there's also an interesting take on Christine Michael's role.

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/projecting ... es-rookies

"Arian Foster arrived in 2010, establishing himself as one of the best running backs in the NFL. Houston still spent a second round pick on Ben Tate in 2011. That year, Foster recorded 1224 yards and ten touchdowns. Tate managed 924 yards and four touchdowns as a rookie. The move allowed the Texans to spell Foster and limit his carries to 278 for the season (49 less than 2010). When Tate got injured during the 2012 campaign, Foster again had to pick up the slack and had a career high 351 carries. Lynch had 315 in 2012 (5th most in the NFL) and the Seahawks might want to get that down to around the 260-285 mark (Frank Gore had 258 carries last year). Drafting Michael allows them to do that and like Tate in 2011 he could see around 175-200 snaps."

I agree with this line of thinking, but that's a bad example. Tate was drafted in 2010 before Foster emerged as a superstar. He got injured his rookie year, and Foster took off. They sort of stumbled into that two-headed RB situation. Foster also missed a few games in 2011, which sort of accounted for his overall drop in carries. His per game average was actually higher in 2011 (w/ Tate) than in 2010 (w/o Tate).

jlwaters1

Reaction score
I think Turbin has just as big a shot as Michael. The two are virtually the same athlete. Same size, speed, ect. I like them both and am interested to see who wins the backup job. It would be neat to see all 3 contribute in a significant way this year.

chihawk

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":3llgtmkq said:
Brock was sayin Jordan Hill as well...... Im going to say Jesse Williams, I think he starts from day 1.

I'm leaning towards Jesse Williams as well. The question with him isn't so much the talent as the knee health. His knee is supposedly healthy now but based on the issues/procedures he has had the concern that dropped him from ~2nd round to 5th round is the longevity of his career if there isn't a whole lot of cartilage left in his knee. He could have an immediate impact but won't be able to play for many years.

Basis4day

Reaction score
jlwaters1":a9u0wks4 said:
I think Turbin has just as big a shot as Michael. The two are virtually the same athlete. Same size, speed, ect. I like them both and am interested to see who wins the backup job. It would be neat to see all 3 contribute in a significant way this year.

Not sure either is a true backup. I think it will be more of a rotation.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2iv595s1 said:
I don't think that they are the same athelete or even close to being the same player. Despite similar 40 times, Michael plays faster and has more burst than Turbin. He has better balance, and burst and change of direction than Turbin does as well. Michael, to me looks like the more fluid runner and overall more dynamic runner than Turbo.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
jlwaters1":2d4d9kn1 said:
What I see in Michael's tape that I don't see in Turbin's is 1) a higher gear, maybe two higher gears, and 2) elusiveness. Michael can make tacklers miss in the 2nd and 3rd level. I didn't see that in Turbin's tape. He's purely a N/S runner with little or no wiggle. Michael's got wiggle.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I think unlike the receiving corps, there are enough carries to go around. I do believe Michael was added to give Turbin a sense of urgency. Not like that's a damning prospect. That's the expectation. But Turbin didn't have that. Lynch has to have fewer carries. His availability late in the year is paramount. And it would be severely advantageous for us to have the ability to sit him a game or two when his back flares up.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
English,

You make a great and interesting point... I'm sure this draft would been a surefire A+, no questions asked, winning over pundits and fans alike had the Seahawks selected their picks in this order:

1) WR, Percy Harvin
2) DT, Jesse Williams
3) RB, Christine Michael
4) DT, Jordan Hill
5) CB, Tharold Simon
5) WR, Chris Harper
5) LB, Ty Powell
6) TE, Luke Willson
7) FB, Spencer Ware
7) OL, Ryan Seymour
7) OG, Jared Smith
7) OT, Michael Bowie