HOLY hell, the NFC West, looks so scary right now.

SirTed

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":64cheua7 said:
frase32":64cheua7 said:
I think all four teams had above average drafts and you can make the argument that the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams killed it. This division is going to be a slugfest. I cannot wait for the season to start. I will be happy with a split for the 49ers against the Hawks this year again cause your team was a nightmare last year and you guys looked to be improved. Here's to two, maybe even three, absolutely amazing games next season. :thirishdrinkers:

Not being a hater, but I think the seahawks actually drafted very average, and possibly the lowest grade in the NFC-W. I mean yeah your team used their 1st pick on harvin, so I dont hold that against them. But the first player taken was a runningback??

I actually sort of agree with this. I think the Seahawks had the worst draft out of the NFC West if you exclude the Harvin deal, and even with him I don't think our place is cemented at the top as far as the draft is concerned. IMO though, this has more to do with how well the other 3 teams in the division drafted. I was really surprised that I didn't see a thread specifically about the 9ers in the NFL forum.

I don't go to 9ers websites, so, 9ers fans, if you're out there, good on ya. That was a great draft. Same for the Cardinals, actually.

However, I disagree that the Michael pick was a reach at all. I think he'll be outstanding. Yes, there were other "holes" to fill, but if you concentrate too hard on need you really handicap yourself. I think when you "spend" your 1st rounder in other ways it's EVEN more important to make sure you get good players in the draft and concentrate less on need - which is exactly what the Hawks did.

2013 is going to be brutal year for the NFC West. Good luck to everybody, hope we all stay injury free, and I hope the Seahawks kick all your asses.
:49ersmall:

amill87

Reaction score
FriscosFinest":3qnxu34y said:
Not being a hater, but I think the seahawks actually drafted very average, and possibly the lowest grade in the NFC-W. I mean yeah your team used their 1st pick on harvin, so I dont hold that against them. But the first player taken was a runningback??

uhh the Niners just used a second round pick on Lamicheal James when they had Gore and Hunter on the roster...

amill87

Reaction score
As far as the drafts for each team, it needs a bit of context.

The Hawks had literally zero holes to fill. I can't think of another team in the league that had no holes to fill via draft. Can we really fault the Hawks for killing the draft the past 3 years so they've built an incredible roster?

I honestly don't even know how to grade the Hawks this year. It's almost like the entire draft was a luxury for us, just icing on the cake.

The Cards had the furthest to go and therefore will likely have the most impact players out of this draft. They are just starting a new regime there and their draft reflects that, it's a solid foundation building type of draft.

The Rams will probably rank "second best" almost entirely off of Austin alone. They seem to like taking risky players and you have to wonder if that's gonna bite them one day.

The Niners had holes to fill. They filled the hole of their incredibly thin d-line depth but Idk if they really improved at safety. I think at the very best, they might stay the same as they were. Remember though that safety is rumored to have arthritic shoulders. They did not solve their CB issues. While Nnamdi may be a decent/good stop gap, they got nothing for the future there.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
amill87":3r8zaos0 said:
The Hawks had literally zero holes to fill. I can't think of another team in the league that had no holes to fill via draft. Can we really fault the Hawks for killing the draft the past 3 years so they've built an incredible roster?

Crazy that they have gone from one of the worst Seahawks offense you have ever seen, to have zero holes to fill. I wonder what has changed?

amill87

Reaction score
HawksFTW":2lo121br said:
amill87":2lo121br said:

Crazy that they have gone from one of the worst Seahawks offense you have ever seen, to have zero holes to fill. I wonder what has changed?

I was wrong. I was an emotional fan watching his team lose games they should've won. If you have a problem with me, take it to the shack and stop derailing all the threads I post in.

BASF

Reaction score
amill87":3bbog0pk said:
The Hawks had literally zero holes to fill.

So many people say this and it is so incredibly wrong. After we cut Leon Washington, we had a huge hole at the third running back spot. We filled it with our first pick in the draft and a lot of people kind of freaked out. It was really the only choice we could have made that is pretty much guaranteed to make the team.

amill87

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1m82ntaj said:
Just remember: having zero holes to fill is not a reason for crappy picks. It's a reason for picking great players that won't see the field as early as they should.

It makes it difficult to know how good the players really are though.

BASF":1m82ntaj said:
amill87":1m82ntaj said:

So many people say this and it is so incredibly wrong. After we cut Leon Washington, we had a huge hole at the third running back spot. We filled it with our first pick in the draft and a lot of people kind of freaked out. It was really the only choice we could have made that is pretty much guaranteed to make the team.

Turbin fills the role of 3rd down/change of pace back. Tate/Harvin fill the hole of return man. Saying 3rd running back is a hole is like saying kicker is a hole. Sure you need the player on the team but is it really a hole?

HawksFTW

Reaction score
amill87":bpjnjja1 said:
HawksFTW":bpjnjja1 said:
amill87":bpjnjja1 said:

I was wrong. I was an emotional fan watching his team lose games they should've won. If you have a problem with me, take it to the shack and stop derailing all the threads I post in.

How was that derailing the thread? I was asking you an honest question. I don't think I have even replied to you since the middle of last season, nor have I derailed ever thread you post in.

It is odd to me that someone would do such an about face, I was wondering what changed your perspective, that is all.

BASF

Reaction score
amill87":2g8hnhfh said:
Seahawk Sailor":2g8hnhfh said:
Just remember: having zero holes to fill is not a reason for crappy picks. It's a reason for picking great players that won't see the field as early as they should.

It makes it difficult to know how good the players really are though.

BASF":2g8hnhfh said:
amill87":2g8hnhfh said:

Turbin fills the role of 3rd down/change of pace back. Tate/Harvin fill the hole of return man. Saying 3rd running back is a hole is like saying kicker is a hole. Sure you need the player on the team but is it really a hole?

Interesting that you mention kicker alluding that it wouldn't be a hole to fill, and yet every team carries one of them. Third running back on a roster is an incredibly important hole. First and foremost they almost always are kick and punt coverage. Second, if one of the top two backs are hurt for more than a game, you need to have that running back who is familiar with your system who can step in and get 5 or 6 carries a game as well as be able to pickup blitzes or run one of your routes (as opposed to bringing in a guy off the street who doesn't know your playbook).

amill87

Reaction score
BASF":2udg6u86 said:
Interesting that you mention kicker alluding that it wouldn't be a hole to fill, and yet every team carries one of them. Third running back on a roster is an incredibly important hole. First and foremost they almost always are kick and punt coverage. Second, if one of the top two backs are hurt for more than a game, you need to have that running back who is familiar with your system who can step in and get 5 or 6 carries a game as well as be able to pickup blitzes or run one of your routes (as opposed to bringing in a guy off the street who doesn't know your playbook).

I get what you're saying and I'm not saying the third running back isn't important but it's not a high priority type of need. Compare it to the needs our division rivals had and it's not that big of a deal. Not many teams have talent three deep at running back, in fact I can only think of one other team that has a similar situation and it's the Niners.

Without looking, can you tell me who the third RB is on the Ravens? And how much did he help with their Super Bowl run?

BASF

Reaction score
amill87":x9gi08r5 said:
BASF":x9gi08r5 said:

I get what you're saying and I'm not saying the third running back isn't important but it's not a high priority type of need. Compare it to the needs our division rivals had and it's not that big of a deal. Not many teams have talent three deep at running back, in fact I can only think of one other team that has a similar situation and it's the Niners.

Without looking, can you tell me who the third RB is on the Ravens? And how much did he help with their Super Bowl run?

To the Ravens question, no I can't. Both Rice and Pierce were healthy all season. In regards to the rest, I agree it wasn't a high priority need, but we did have an open roster spot there and we got a very good prospect for it. He was on the top of our board and fit the bill. Watching his 2011 highlights when he was healthy, he jumps off the screen. There wasn't really any other players there that you could say he would definitely make the roster.

amill87

Reaction score
BASF":1l46ymwn said:
To the Ravens question, no I can't. Both Rice and Pierce were healthy all season. In regards to the rest, I agree it wasn't a high priority need, but we did have an open roster spot there and we got a very good prospect for it. He was on the top of our board and fit the bill. Watching his 2011 highlights when he was healthy, he jumps off the screen. There wasn't really any other players there that you could say he would definitely make the roster.

Oh I love the Micheal pick. I like most of the draft. All the picks make somewhat sense when you look at a purely depth/future insurance type of angle. But that makes it really hard to compare to the rest of the division who needed actual impact players from this draft and for the most part, got some potential impact guys.

NinerBuff

Reaction score
Hello, I am a Niner fan, and therefore most of you can disregard everything I say :D. But I am a football fan too and I recognize that the Seahawks are definitely a top 5 team.

Regarding the NFC-W drafts...

Cardinals: They had a solid, but overly impressive draft. They needed to replace Adam Snyder, the sieve, at G. Cooper will obviously be a solid, if not boarder-line Pro-Bowler, but at #7 it's a steep price for a Guard. Minter and Okafor should be solid starters. Mathieu is the headliner of their draft, and makes a good impact with the new additions of Harvin and Austin into the division. Taylor represents good backup RB value and Swope is a late round burner at WR, which can be similar to Denarius Moore for Carson Palmer. Overall, I see 3-4 starters, and some situational players.

Rams: Had a great draft, but had a lot of draft capital to work with. Finally addressed the playmaker issue. Olgetree has the potential to be a very solid ILB, and McDonald, Bailey, and Jones represent good value and potential starters. Overall, I see 3 starters, with one of them being a dynamic playmaker.

Seahawks: Harvin was a great pickup, I'll be the first to admit I was very disappointed he ended up going to SEA. I don't put much credence into the past injury situation. His contract is steep, but not as burdensome as Wallace's, and he's better than Wallace. Also, until Wilson get's a new contract, the Seahawks can afford to pay him. Chistine Michael was an interesting pick, but he has elite athleticism and represents good value for the post-Lynch future. Not very high on the Hill pick, but I think the Williams pick was one of the best picks in the draft. Some Niner fans were mocking him in the first round. I like the Harper pick, and I also think Simon fits the CB mold that Seattle has created. Overall, I see 1 starter in year one (Harvin), with the potential for 3-4 starters down the road. A lot will depend on who they end up paying in their secondary.

49ers: I thought the Reid pick was a slight reach, but given the draft capital, I will forgive. Would have liked to trade up and get Star Lotulelei, but alas, Reid should be a plug-and-play FS. The Tank Carradine pick was who I thought we'd draft in the first round. Huge pickup, given he heals (which isn't a small issue), can become the heir apparent to Justin Smith. The McDonald trade-up was curious, and I was slightly disappointed we didn't take Travis Kelce, but McDonald played all over the field and should fill in well for Walker. Lemonier and Patton offer good depth and provide some insurance against high-priced FAs. Lattimore (like Carradine) has the potential to be a game-changer at RB in a year or two. Overall, I see 2 starters (Reid and McDonald, as we run 2 TE sets a lot).

How will these drafts affect the NFC-W next year...

Even with the new additions of Austin and Ogletree, I still don't think the Rams will fair any better than they did last year. I think they over-achieved last year. They beat both the Hawks and Niners in STL, which will be tougher to do with Wilson and Kaep getting more experience. Until futher notice, the Cardinals are a dumpster fire. The addition of Carson Palmer will improve the fantasy stats, but I see only 5 or 6 wins.

Now, between the Niners and Hawks...

The Hawks have a distinct homefield advantage. It would be surprising if they lost a game in SEA. But, they don't travel as well as 49ers. They also have a harder schedule than the 49ers with 5 10am games vs. 1. I think they split the series and both teams end up 12-4. It'll come down to tie-breakers. Obviously, the 49ers would like to win the tie-breaker and play at Candlestick as opposed to the CenturyLink.

49ers: 12-4
Seahawks: 12-4
Rams: 8-8
Cardinals: 5-11

... Fire away, Seahawk fans

RedAlice

Reaction score
frase32":3xzuv4nj said:
No one said this was a weak draft class. It has been said that it was lacking at the top of the draft. All I see in this thread is a lot of "We had no needs, therefore our draft was better because we weren't picking need in a weak class." Everyone turns into such a damned douchebag when discussing rival teams. As I originally said, on paper, all teams in the NFC WEST seemed to pick up quality players in this draft.

I was responding to a direct quote regarding the Rams and Niners. And I gave my opinion in response.

I agree with regard to all NFC W teams doing great for exactly what each needed. Love it.

I'm so excited for this season! I hate Dallas and the Steelers. Tired of those teams getting all the attention...as I looked at the calendar for this year to plan out when I can attend some games, the highest percentage of games that are exciting include an NFC W team. And not only because I'm a fan, but because they are going to be great games!

This season would not be so exciting if all NFC W teams did not look so competent right now. All. I think that was the point of this thread.

RedAlice

Reaction score
They are too much of a mess to solve everything. But, Palmer is an upgrade immediately over last year, and improving an already strong D will help them this year.

I think it was a matter of most improvement from point A to point B. And they had the lowest point A, so the most amount of room for improvement.

I don't think anyone is saying they are at Niner or Hawk level, just that they did well to make themselves better than they were last year. They are good enough now to steal wins. In my opinion.

RedAlice

Reaction score
NinerBuff":fymbahjj said:
Hello, I am a Niner fan, and therefore most of you can disregard everything I say :D. But I am a football fan too and I recognize that the Seahawks are definitely a top 5 team.

Regarding the NFC-W drafts...

How will these drafts affect the NFC-W next year...

Even with the new additions of Austin and Ogletree, I still don't think the Rams will fair any better than they did last year. I think they over-achieved last year. They beat both the Hawks and Niners in STL, which will be tougher to do with Wilson and Kaep getting more experience.

49ers: 12-4
Seahawks: 12-4
Rams: 8-8
Cardinals: 5-11

... Fire away, Seahawk fans

Good analysis.

I will add though that the two games the Rams played at C-Link and Candlestick were not easy games for either opponent. So, it's way too simple to just say, Rams won in St. Louis.

I expected a major blow-out in Seattle (especially after that brutal Niner loss) and watched the game with Hawk fans. That was a tense, feisty game - even in the C-Link. It was the end of the season, so I don't think experience was the issue.

The Candlestick game was just bizarre all around, with Jenkins and Givens being benched and then Smith injured out. I would never like to see a game like that again, ever.

I was at the Ed for the Niner game, and I'm not convinced there was a home field advantage. Rams don't have that yet, maybe St. Louis will figure that out later. Kaep had experience by that point.

I think 8-8 is fair. But I expect a win at either Candlestick or C-Link this year. And from what I saw in St. Louis, I see no home field advantage unless they amp it up this year.

amill87

Reaction score
Yeah the Cards can get the most impact from their drafted players because they need the most impact.

Which is why I don't like grading drafts. With a team like the Cards, it's pretty easy to grade their draft, we will see most of their draftees right away and get a pretty quick feel for how they drafted.

On the other end of that spectrum is the Hawks and Niners. Drafts that will be very difficult to determine if they are good or not.

So if we are grading drafts, what can we base the grading scale on? Can't really compare the Niners and Cards because their drafts have completely different purposes.

amill87

Reaction score
RedAlice":1xxu4372 said:
I think 8-8 is fair. But I expect a win at either Candlestick or C-Link this year. And from what I saw in St. Louis, I see no home field advantage unless they amp it up this year.

If the Rams pull a W from either Candlestick or C-link, that would be pretty damn impressive. That's some pretty lofty expectations.

themunn

Reaction score
RedAlice":rablj8b0 said:
Bobblehead":rablj8b0 said:
So 49er fans.. Ram fans.. Good luck on your elite players taken out of this mediocre class of recruits, they surely are the stars of mediocrity and will be the mother of your disappointments when all is said and done.

It was a weak draft.

I believe this was made very clear by almost every team being unwilling to deal 2014 draft picks for anything. I think only 3 teams did.

Good thing the Rams still have two picks in the first round next year in what is supposed to be a strong draft. Rams are still young.

As to this year, I think you will find when you struggle against the Rams again, that even the elite out of mediocre as you call it is an improvement over what Fisher inherited and now coaches.

I'm not a Niner fan, so you can't call up your 30 point win for last year as a rebuttle. You lost once and struggled to get 7 the second time, against a team wtihout these new "mediocre" players, at the end of the year when you were your best.

We both improved. Excited for this coming year!

And, don't discount the Cards. They improved as well. No such thing as an easy win in the NFC West now.

We will destroy the Rams this year.
Yes we had a "tough" game in the last game of the season with nothing to play for and no reason to give playoff teams an idea of our playbook, and yes you beat us at the start of the year with that same vanilla playcalling, a fake FG TD and two 60 yard field goals. But that won't happen again this year.