Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: My favorite part of this draft...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:32 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

...is that it was no stress. It was really fun to just watch the off-the-wall approach. Normally, I'm on the edge of my seat hoping we address an urgent need. I didn't feel we had any urgent needs this time around. Were there some positions we wanted to address? Sure. Obviously, as most of us expected, DT was on the slate. But the rest kind of seem like luxury/depth/future picks.

There was no stress, because the roster was stacked heading into this one. Making a killing in free agency/trades (Harvin, Avril, Bennett, Winfield) combined with an already talented roster allowed us to take a different approach this time. And I'm cool with it.

We drafted for the future way more than we did in Pete and John's first 3 drafts. It's nice having a roster as talented and as deep as ours that allows us to do that. LT and FS screamed "need" in 2010...Okung and Thomas were picked. QB, DE and MLB screamed "need" in 2012...Wilson, Irvin and Wagner were born.

This front office will have some hard decisions in the coming years, mostly cap driven. In these picks, you can see they are more than aware of that - no surprise. I would not be stunned to see Robinson, Rice and Miller potentially packing after this season, let alone quite a few other "name" guys. Our 2014 UFA list is a pretty good crop of core players.

Anyways, this draft just felt different.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post subject: Re: My favorite part of this draft...
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:33 am 
* NET Sage *

Agreed. In fact it was just downright exciting seeing what talent we added to this loaded ass roster.

They didn't disappoint

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 am 
NET Starter

It's true. Unfortunately for me, that made the draft kind of boring!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:03 am 
NET Veteran

I'm looking forward to this new era where the team isn't scrambling to fill holes. They'll be planning a year, two, even three in advance and working to keep replacing the middling/depth guys with new blood each season. And if we continue to perform well, lots of teams will be coming after our middling FAs.

I predict that we'll start to see the Seahawks collecting mid-round compensatory picks with regularity, and relying even more heavily on the draft to keep the roster young.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

volsunghawk wrote:
I'm looking forward to this new era where the team isn't scrambling to fill holes. They'll be planning a year, two, even three in advance and working to keep replacing the middling/depth guys with new blood each season. And if we continue to perform well, lots of teams will be coming after our middling FAs.

I predict that we'll start to see the Seahawks collecting mid-round compensatory picks with regularity, and relying even more heavily on the draft to keep the roster young.

Yep. You said it better than I did.

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 am 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Money ball :D

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:12 am 
NET Veteran

volsunghawk wrote:
And if we continue to perform well, lots of teams will be coming after our middling FAs.

Good point.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:14 am 
* NET Baller *

You didn't get atleast a tad antsy when it said our pick was in, in round 2? I did.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:17 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *

Throwdown wrote:
You didn't get atleast a tad antsy when it said our pick was in, in round 2? I did.

Excited? Yeah. Antsy? No... because I just knew it was going to be something completely different than what people other than Kip were expecting. :P

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:24 pm 
NET Veteran

My favorite part of this draft is that there was definitely a theme of athletic violence throughout. We're going to outright bully teams outside our division.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:31 pm 
NET Rookie

Way to rest on your laurels! It's our duty as fans to be as stressed and antsy and critical as possible. You've really let the team down this year.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:41 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *

Definitely the case with this draft. Nailed it beautifully. It has gone from "OMG OMG OMG I hope they don't screw this up with a bust!" to "Hmm, wonder who our next rookie studs will be."

And count me in as someone who has thought of getting a bunch of mid-range compensatory picks in the upcoming years too. This team has just way too much talent not to let some real great guys walk.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:47 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*

I was pretty stress free on this draft as well.
I watched it with a Miami fan, and he was perplexed at them not getting a left tackle the whole draft. He is still perplexed. I wonder if Ireland and Ruskell are related...

My least favorite part of this draft was NFLN's terrible coverage. Mayock is the only guy worth listening to on their broadcast, and the last few rounds were pretty much the alternating Barkley/Geno Smith show.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:02 pm 
NET Veteran

Scottemojo wrote:

My least favorite part of this draft was NFLN's terrible coverage. Mayock is the only guy worth listening to on their broadcast, and the last few rounds were pretty much the alternating Barkley/Geno Smith show.

I love when Mayock visibly showed his disgust when Eisen brought up Teo yet again. The only reason that Teo's draft position was a story was because of the off field stuff. ILBs tend to start going in the second as a matter of practice unless the talent is truly elite.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:58 pm 
NET Starter

FlyingGreg wrote:
We drafted for the future way more than we did in Pete and John's first 3 drafts. It's nice having a roster as talented and as deep as ours that allows us to do that. LT and FS screamed "need" in 2010...Okung and Thomas were picked. QB, DE and MLB screamed "need" in 2012...Wilson, Irvin and Wagner were born.

And in 2011, Sherman was born :thirishdrinkers:

Post Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:31 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *

Scottemojo wrote:

The ESPN coverage suffered this year as well. They replaced Chris Berman and John Gruden with Trey Wingo. I really hope that isn't a permanent change. It was extra disappointing for me because I'd been waiting months to hear Gruden call "I told you so" during the 2013 draft.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]