At 194 Seattle selects: Spencer Ware, RB LSU

morgulon1

Reaction score
NYTwelve":1kufayxf said:
Most FBs aren't taken too early anyway. Heck the best rated FB going into the draft was taken in the 4th

A lot of teams don't even have true FBs anymore.I bet he doesnt even make the final cut. Possible PS guy to see if he can develop into something for us. MRob isnt going anywhere (this year atleast) IMHO

DJrmb

Reaction score
Wow, some people still don't understand how the Seahawks approach things.

We have an open spot at RB with Leon gone. Since when have Pete and John abandoned competition???

We have a spot open at RB3 so they are bringing in multiple guys to compete for that spot giving them a better chance at finding the best player. Not too sure what's hard for people to understand about that...

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
After watching all the clips available on youtube, I would not put this guy on PS. That would be a huge mistakes. He will be picked up within a minute. His tape looks very similar to Lynch's tape.

Teams are always looking for tough RB's. Jets traded for Chris Ivory and gave up a 4th rounder. NE traded for Blount.

Spectre

Reaction score
[youtube]_8Hfl0SlXRQ[/youtube]

Just gonna leave this right here while I drool over this. 2:40. Dat footwork and ability to change momentum!

NoChops

Reaction score
With the new rule this year, kid is going to have to rework his game. Watching his clips he leads with his hat in almost all of them.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
NoChops":96i37np1 said:
With the new rule this year, kid is going to have to rework his game. Watching his clips he leads with his hat in almost all of them.

He converting to FB, Im not sure that is critical to his overall performance.

polarbill1999

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":1hor9uif said:
NoChops":1hor9uif said:

Plus isnt' the rule more of an open/down field type thing? If he gets the ball he is going to be smashing through the middle and as far as I understand the rule you can lower your head as a RB near the line of scrimmage.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
polarbill1999":3rru4qvn said:
T-Sizzle":3rru4qvn said:
NoChops":3rru4qvn said:

Plus isnt' the rule more of an open/down field type thing? If he gets the ball he is going to be smashing through the middle and as far as I understand the rule you can lower your head as a RB near the line of scrimmage.

Yea, watching the highlights I didnt see a single carry that would have been flagged. He lowers his helmet to absorb contact but I never saw him lead with the crown of his helmet.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
This gives the Hawks flexibility to carry either a 5th back in the 48-53 inactive list range or to dump Mike Rob and his $2.5m salary if they think Ware is ready to take on a starting FB role or some form of shared duty with Turbin. I always thought when the season ended Leon and Mike Rob were two of the most vulnerable guys on the roster... higher salary vets who weren't key pieces and have limited shelf life

General Manager

Reaction score
One things for sure when they decide to address a position they don't mess around were set a RB for a long time.

NoChops

Reaction score
JSeahawks":18fo96nh said:
Yea, watching the highlights I didnt see a single carry that would have been flagged. He lowers his helmet to absorb contact but I never saw him lead with the crown of his helmet.
[/quote]

kinda my point, we don't know what we are gonna get with the new rule. I see a few of them where you could make the argument he is using his helmet to put a lick on a guy. it gonna be a judgement call and we know how well that goes, just ask Kam

Zowert

Reaction score
By drafting two runningbacks, this could mean PC is looking toward the future. A Lynch-less Seahawks. Marshawn may only be 27, but he has already been a starting RB in the NFL for six seasons. How much longer is he going to be able to run the way he does and continue to produce the numbers we want from him? Two? Three? Not many 30 year old runningbacks in the league. At least ones that can produce.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I've been reading some LSU fan forums about Simon and Ware. They say that Ware has great hands as a receiver. Maybe he could be a John L Williams style fullback for us.

chris98251

Reaction score
TheWebHead":352k90f8 said:
This gives the Hawks flexibility to carry either a 5th back in the 48-53 inactive list range or to dump Mike Rob and his $2.5m salary if they think Ware is ready to take on a starting FB role or some form of shared duty with Turbin. I always thought when the season ended Leon and Mike Rob were two of the most vulnerable guys on the roster... higher salary vets who weren't key pieces and have limited shelf life

2.5 million isn't high, in fact most players get that as a signing bonus let alone a whole contract, Mike Rob plays on special team, on offense and is a leader. He earns every dime of his cheap salary to lead the way for the best power back in the game today. I would wonder how many remember how we struggled when Mack Strong retired, how many remember trying to find his replacement and not being able to, even when Holmgren was coaching. When you have a good one you don't try to push them out the door until you know you have the guy.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
chris98251":24sfgo2i said:
TheWebHead":24sfgo2i said:

2.5 million isn't high, in fact most players get that as a signing bonus let alone a whole contract, Mike Rob plays on special team, on offense and is a leader. He earns every dime of his cheap salary to lead the way for the best power back in the game today. I would wonder how many remember how we struggled when Mack Strong retired, how many remember trying to find his replacement and not being able to, even when Holmgren was coaching. When you have a good one you don't try to push them out the door until you know you have the guy.
This. He isn't just a FB. He's even been a key part of the NFLPA. Mike Rob isn't expendible, IMO. That and he and Lynch are actually pretty tight despite the videos and Lynch will often key on what he sees.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm not so sure we don't carry 5 this year. We'll still run the ball more than anyone, which almost guarantees maximum Wilson effectiveness. Carrying 5 isn't a bad idea with Lynch's back problems.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Just watched the highlights. This is a serious smack-you-in-the-mouth bruiser. He seems like a demolition machine who just loves his job of delivering horrible blows. He might just as well be a strong safety.. I love his style of play and cant wait to see him humiliating defenses. A great pick, but then again, I'm a running back guy. My favorite players tend to be running bulldozers (LYNCH).

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I don't understand all the hate - if M Rob were to go down - who would replace him? Do we just throw away part of the playbook.

Another skill he has that Turbin and Michael don't is pass blocking. I have read that his pass blocking is well above average. At this point Lynch is probably our best pass blocking back.

Moreover, from a special teams perspective, it doesn't appear that too many LBs will be carried. We still need special teams players and who better for a player to learn from than M Rob.

Lastly, everyone thought we were set at RB before this draft but one injury to either Lynch or Turbin turned that position paper thin. I am glad we got some depth and an RB/FB/ST swingman going forward.

It's a 6th round pick? What other player would have been a better pick in the 6th?

polarbill1999

Reaction score
The LSU sports writer that Mitch talked to this morning laughed off the idea that Ware should be moved to FB. He says TB all the way and that he could easily have a better career than Lacy. HE thought he should trim down a little to boost his speed and agility some. Interesting thoughts from the LSU guy although he sounded like an arrogant ahole kind of. Also said humblethug should of stayed in college another year. Doesn't think he is ready.