Seahawks & the NFL (Not For Long)

HawkWow

Reaction score
It is clear the league is changing and the Seattle Seahawks is changing with it. You can see it across the board in this 2013 draft.

I believe the rookie cap will be the ultimate un-doing of fan favorites & beloved vets. I predict in another 10 years (or less), only QBs will be making the obscene money many vets (Revis) enjoy today. Vets will be forced to settle for 'realistic' money, or they will be replaced with 2nd or 3rd year men (and so on). If all owners play this the same way (and they will) the public won't even detect a drop off.

Strikes, threats of strikes and hold outs, have seen the owners feet held to the fire for many years. Now, the writing is on the wall and the owners will surely get the last laugh (the rich always get richer).

Sooner than later, we will see this up close and personal with our beloved Seattle Seahawks. Most are not going to appreciate it when this reality hits home (Sherman). This is what I'm seeing, but I'd actually like to be wrong, so your (intelligent) counters will be welcomed & appreciated.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
QB alone can't win the race. Sorry, but not happening. Truly elite players at several key non-QB positions will continue to make boatloads of cash. Corner, tackle, WR, and anybody that can rush the passer regardless of position.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think Sherman is an elite talent, and elite talent will always be able to get paid, at least at certain positions. Elite CBs, elite pass-rushers, and elite QBs are all in that group. Otherwise, I think what you are saying is true.

DeMaurice Smith is just an awful negotiator. How he's still running the NFLPA, I don't know. The NFLPA needs to just start a lockout fund right now where everyone gives a proportion of their salary and then they need to threaten to blow up the next league season after this current CBA is done. Also, they should fire De Smith.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Right before Aaron Rodgers signed the richest contract in NFL history, Green Bay also signed Clay Matthews to an "obscene money" contract. They let Jennings walk, but obviously QB isn't the only position that teams can afford to pay guys. The cap is also going higher.

I think you're overstating things a bit. Yes, a great team with a franchise QB probably can't keep all of its fan-favorite players, but there will be a handful of core guys that it plans around financially and keeps. In Seattle's case, that likely includes Russell Wilson, Percy Harvin, Russell Okung and most of its secondary (Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor).

mikeak

Reaction score
This whole argument falls in the fact that the salary cap is what it is and teams have to spend a certain percentage.

Why pay the qb 90%, others 7% and rookies 3%????

When qb gets injured then you have nothing else.....

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Where are all these great non-qb, fan favorite players going to go? If no one is paying them, do you really think they will just drop out of the league rather than "settling" for a 7 figure salary. You speak of the rich getting richer, referring to the owners hoarding money rather than paying it out, but the new CBA instituted a salary floor. The structured contracts for rookies in actuality frees up more money to spend on those fan favorite players worth keeping.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I think op is sorta on to something, but it's not going to be just qbs that get paid. Elite talent will still get the big paydays, but i think the criteria for what we consider elite is going to be a lot higher than in years past. The cheap talent coming in from the draft isn't that much of a downgrade from a vet considering the cost savings.

One thing op isn't accounting for though, the new cba has a salary FLOOR to go along with the salary cap. Teams will have minimums they need to reach, and i can't see the savvy ones blowing the wad on one position.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Some excellent points. I probably should have left out the word only before the word QB. As soon as I hit enter, I thought of the QBs blindside. That tackle will need to be paid and unlike a wideout or RB, his replacement would not be as easy to find, or as easy to groom. The money will have to be spread out as I understand the owners can't pull a Marlin and sit on the cash under the conditions of the current agreement. Elite corners will also get paid but I don't think to the tune of 16 mil per year.

Which brings me to Richard Sherman. I loathe the day he no longer shuts down the opposing WR for our Hawks, but I don't think we will re-sign him. Sherm will demand Revis money...and rightfully so. There are teams that will break the bank to sign him. They can build their secondary around him. That said, I don't see us paying him the same money we will likely be paying Mr. Wilson. You?

BTW, I don't write this in a doom and gloom manner. I actually prefer college to the pros so my feelings won't be crushed when we sign my favorite college players to replace my favorite pro players. Many will feel differently.

Steve2222

Reaction score
As long as Russell is on this team, we will always be relevant. Its going to be tough seeing some stars leave, but we're in great hands with him. Look at Peyton's Colts for example. They've had excellent seasons without much a supporting cast for him (talking post XLI years). Even during their SB season, the defense was pretty atrocious outside Freeney and Mathis.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I believe JS and PC when they said they'd keep core players who deserve to be here. Sherman fits that description, so I do believe they will keep him when his deal is up.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
Steve2222":11cfsysi said:
As long as Russell is on this team, we will always be relevant. Its going to be tough seeing some stars leave, but we're in great hands with him. Look at Peyton's Colts for example. They've had excellent seasons without much a supporting cast for him (talking post XLI years). Even during their SB season, the defense was pretty atrocious outside Freeney and Mathis.

Absolutely. And it was like 1 year ago today that I wanted Pete fired for picking him. LOL. I was so pissed and screamed (at the televison) Well, Russell Wilson better be the best 5'10" QB in history, PETE!

And guess what? ;)

kearly

Reaction score
Until there are 32 teams with coach/GMs that are on par with Carroll/Schneider, I don't really see teams having that much success and confidence in the draft to be so expenditure adverse.

That plus, even Seattle spends their money. Every team has a lot of money to spend. Even after Baltimore bled out to sign Flacco, they still have 85% of their salary going to other players.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":2vr7knwc said:
Until there are 32 teams with coach/GMs that are on par with Carroll/Schneider, I don't really see teams having that much success and confidence in the draft to be so expenditure adverse.

That plus, even Seattle spends their money. Every team has a lot of money to spend. Even after Baltimore bled out to sign Flacco, they still have 85% of their salary going to other players.

Great points and most FOs shouldn't be trusted to build through the draft.

In your opinion, and nothing that needs to be remembered later, do you think we will retain Sherm, Kearly?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Right track, wrong idea. What Pete and John have done this time is a: draft players that will put pressure on our highest paid players and b: to groom players that will likely replace players we can't afford to pay (a:Red & Clem b: Sherman)

Tical21

Reaction score
The players will form their own league before this would ever happen. It is only a matter of time before they figure out that they don't need owners. These are grown men. They are the product. We will watch them. They don't need to be "owned" by anybody. With as popular as football is, and as much money as we pay to watch and collect garb, the last thing the players need is some rich guy to take half off the top.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tical, we don't watch the players. We watch the team. How many here stop watching Seahawks games when their favorite Seahawk gets traded to another team? Yeah, I didn't think so. Sure, there are bandwagon fans, but they're not the ones that buy season tickets and buy stuff regardless of how well the team's doing.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Tical21":179lwr7b said:
The players will form their own league before this would ever happen. It is only a matter of time before they figure out that they don't need owners. These are grown men. They are the product. We will watch them. They don't need to be "owned" by anybody. With as popular as football is, and as much money as we pay to watch and collect garb, the last thing the players need is some rich guy to take half off the top.

The USFL and NFL Europe failed, I dont see how the players could form their own league when they can't even make it through a strike without borrowing money at 40% interest.

There is a reason rich people are rich and that players need to have a retirement fund. Rich people know how to make, and keep money. Neither players, nor the NFLPA are capable of planning for long term.

Hell, players cant even stay off dope long enough to get through the combine.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1k22d85k said:
Right track, wrong idea. What Pete and John have done this time is a: draft players that will put pressure on our highest paid players and b: to groom players that will likely replace players we can't afford to pay (a:Red & Clem b: Sherman)
There's one glitch in that theory, and that is, you can only cheapskate players for just so long, before those replacement players see that a lot of hard work, and commitment to laying your all on the line isn't being rewarded, and you are just another player that gets the axe for the next sucker in line.
Some players are over pricing themselves right out of the picture, while others (Tom Brady) realizes that he's not going to win games all by himself, and hell, even Matt Hasselbeck took some O-linemen to dinner to show his appreciation for their commitment to keeping him upright, and those guys deserve a decent paycheck for staying on board to continuity.
Hutchinson not only screwed the Seahawks, but himself and the Vikings for the larger than his worth paycheck.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Some of you guys are forgetting that most players love the game, and haven't even begun to prepare for earning money any other way. Plus, the rookie league minimum salary is $285k per year. At least 99% of players getting drafted are unable to make anything close to that through any other means right after they graduate. Give me a break.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I think that when the FO extended Kam they sent a message to our players, and a very loud one at that. Sherman WILL be taken care of, and he will be a Seahawk after his contract is redone. Of course, this is barring a catastrophic season, but I don't see Sherman tanking anytime soon.

Latest posts