Predicting the 53 man roster

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
...and...wow.

We are stacked. Most of the guys we took yesterday have a long, long shot to make the roster.

It's amazing what they have created in the last 3 years.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2k4hitky said:
I see 6-8 vets from last year being replaced.

Yeah, that's the interesting thing for me. The fringe guys already on the roster may be the ones most in danger. Martin, Bates, Howard, McGrath, even Scruggs.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3bbx7eyo said:
Coug_Hawk08":3bbx7eyo said:
I see 6-8 vets from last year being replaced.

Yeah, that's the interesting thing for me. The fringe guys already on the roster may be the ones most in danger. Martin, Bates, Howard, McGrath, even Scruggs.

Also Thurmond, maxwell, mcq, moffitt, Howard, McDonald, really any of the rfas. Lots of guys that could be gone if we don't envision resigning them long term.

Depth will shuffle a lot this year. I think.

el capitan

Reaction score
Michael is the only shoo-in as his roster spot was created when we dumped Leon Washington.

I wouldn't be surprised if only 3 or 4 new guys made the final 53.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
el capitan":1ulu9yi9 said:
Michael is the only shoo-in as his roster spot was created when we dumped Leon Washington.

I wouldn't be surprised if only 3 or 4 new guys made the final 53.

Yep, but then again like Coug said it could be pink slips for the fringe guys too.

The competition for spots is going to fierce.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2n78ok9n said:
I think Harper, Williams, and Michael probably have the best chance of making the active roster of any of the picks. Both have opportunities to snag a position of need, and seem to be the most field-ready of the picks.

Agreed.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I went from thinking Jeron Johnson was just a camp body to thinking that he well may displace Brady Quinn as Wilson's backup.

As for who may not make the roster, Clint McDonald probably should avoid signing a long-term lease. Also, MRob could well be gone, which makes me sad because he is one of my favorite guys on the team.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I think Harper is safe to pencil in as the 5th WR ahead of Kearse,Bates,Martin. Of course he'll have to earn it though.

I think the fight for 1 job between Willson,Fells and Mcgrath will be interesting.

All of the drafted olinemen will be in tough to make the roster, actually I don't see it.

Dline will be a huge battle between McDonald,Howard,Hill,Williams,Scruggs when you consider that Bryant,Mebane,McDaniel,Avril,Clemons,Irvin and Bennett account for 7 spots already.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":vecmigzr said:
I went from thinking Jeron Johnson was just a camp body to thinking that he well may displace Brady Quinn as Wilson's backup.

As for who may not make the roster, Clint McDonald probably should avoid signing a long-term lease. Also, MRob could well be gone, which makes me sad because he is one of my favorite guys on the team.

I don't know. If there is someone capable of filling Robinson's position this season he isn't currently on the roster. I don't see them going without a FB.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I could add Hill to that mix as well. Hill and Williams appear to be different styles of DT which would rotate in and out based on the play. One is predominantly pass rusher, the other a run stopper. Both are at about the same level, and would have been taken in similar positions if Williams hadn't gotten injured. We could easily see both as part of that rotational defensive package next year.

And Michael is about the best running back of the draft. I could easily see him getting some carries, especially if they're not as impressed with Turbin as they'd like to be.

With Harper, I think we have probably one of the safer picks to make the final 53. He won't be one of the top receivers on the team, but looking at the group as a whole, it appears he can easily rise to the 5th spot with his talent. He's got great hands and body control, and that's going to be important for him making the squad. Harvin, Rice, Tate, and Baldwin are obviously miles ahead of him so far, but I think he could easily slip into that 5th spot, and with those hands might even challenge Baldwin for the #4. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I really like this pick.

I might even think about Michael Bowie sliding into a backup spot on the roster. Heard somewhere he didn't allow a sack against Brandon Wheedon at OSU, and didn't allow a sack his senior year either. He looks like he might have been at least as big a steal as anyone in the draft. Bowie was graded at a 4th rounder before disappearing to Northeastern State.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Harper is exactly what we needed - big and physical. Our WRs are either skinny (Rice) or smallish (Harvin, Tate, Baldwin). They've been trying to find the big body type for awhile now...Williams did it in 2010, they tried Durham in 2011 and tried Bryant/Owens/Edwards last season.

If I was Kearse, Martin or Bates...I'd be a little worried.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
kobebryant":3h6rkxie said:
I don't know. If there is someone capable of filling Robinson's position this season he isn't currently on the roster. I don't see them going without a FB.

I think Spencer Ware is that guy, but I also do think that it's likely that Robinson is here for one more season while Ware develops if the coaches end up liking what they see from Ware.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1avspdsp said:
kobebryant":1avspdsp said:

I think Spencer Ware is that guy, but I also do think that it's likely that Robinson is here for one more season while Ware develops if the coaches end up liking what they see from Ware.

Yep, Ware is probably more of a future guy. 4 months is a short time to ask him to learn to lead block and feel comfortable with him in pass pro for RW.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm guessing that our practice squad will be raided several times during the year.

Just amazed at the job that John and Pete have done in such a relatively short time... simply amazed.

Talent-wise we caught up to the Whiners like overnight.

Mick063

Reaction score
Hill will be in the rotation this year. Williams will be in the rotation next year (I think he needs more work staying on his feet, but his brute strength will eventually get him there). Michael will edge Turbin for the second spot. Golden Tate will return punts leaving Harper an opening to get on the field a few plays.

Maxwell could be let go, but the battle between him and Simon will be fierce. Right now, a toss up. Luke Wilson could push McCoy out the door after a year of grooming. Perhaps the late offensive line picks can really compete for a spot or two as the depth guys they are pushing aren't world beaters. If Moffitt or Carpenter don't come up big next season, I see Seattle drafting heavy O-line next year. It isn't that they are not good, it is just the fact that they have to play up to their paychecks.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I really don't think MRob is going anywhere. Ware is potential insurance at FB and might also have some upside as a short yardage back. I think we were thinner at RB/FB then people really realize due to how good and healthy we were at top. If either Lynch or Robinson had gone down last year, it would have gotten pretty ugly, and we'd all be asking where the depth was.

If Ware makes the team, I see us carrying five backs (majority of NFL teams do):

RB - Lynch, Turbin, Michael
FB - Robinson, Ware

At WR, I could see us potentially going with just five WRs depending on if Ware makes the final roster (we carried six in 2012). So, it would break down like this:

WR: Harvin, Rice, Tate, Baldwin, Harper.

Kearse is on the fringe, but I think he's competing with players at other positions (e.g. Ware) for a roster spot.