My theory for why everyone's so steamed.

bellingerga

Reaction score
kearly":wxxbfjov said:
I liked the Christine Pick more than any pick last year that wasn't Russell Wilson. People that are bashing this pick misunderstand Seattle's long term outlook at RB while failing to value Michael's intense upside. When the haters see this guy in pads, they won't be hating for long. Trust me. Remember how pissed we were when Seattle dealt Ahman Green? Because Christine Michael is a virtual Ahman Green clone. I'd say he did alright for himself.

I feel confident that Seattle just drafted one of the core pieces a championship team today.

Some people have NO IDEA how much more explosive this team has gotten this offseason, and the Seahawks still have 10 picks left in a loaded day 3. Michael is as explosive as it gets at RB. Ditto Harvin at WR. We added some major spark on defense too. This was already an explosive team. This is a freaking scary team, and it just got downright disgusting with Michael added, IMO.

HOLY HAND GRENADE IM SO EXCITED I ACCIDENTALLY CAPSLOCK

*edit*

But seriously...I love this front office with a passion. I think they have not only built a championship defense, but now a championship offense for sure. Such a dynamic team.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I can think of a couple of guys who didn't pop off the charts initially when Pete and his staff were recruiting at USC. They were both considered too small, etc. But both guys had that non-stop motor, that will to outwork other guys. One worked his way into a scholarship out of high school by showing in camps that he could get the job done in spite of his size. The other walked on and worked his way up.

Those two guys are Ryan Kalil and Clay Matthews III.

Let's not forget that an awful lot of people thought a certain QB was too short, as well.

Athletic measurables are only part of the picture.

General Manager

Reaction score
I liked our draft . They filled the needs we had at DT Jordan Hill looks like a slightly smaller but quicker Kawaan Short , i'll take that. Williams is a huge space eating run stuffer that can collapse the pocket i'll take that to. And they may have gotten the steal of this draft with Michael. I really like the physical CB and WR they added as well.

Heyseed

Reaction score
Loved all of the media phone interviews after the picks were made

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I'm not steamed, but I'm not overly excited. I am sure that once we get to camp and the preseason, I'll get what these guys are all about, just as happened last year with Wilson, Turbin, Wagner, and Lane, all guys who knocked me out as I saw them play and progress.

I do really like the Jesse Williams pick, and if Michael can stay healthy, I think a Michael/Turbin backfield for our future is a great one. After that, I need to see everyone play. Believe me, I won't be shocked if a guy like Jordan Hill ends up making a Brandon Mebane cut possible next year, for one example.

kearly

Reaction score
sc85sis":it9oj6xr said:
I can think of a couple of guys who didn't pop off the charts initially when Pete and his staff were recruiting at USC. They were both considered too small, etc. But both guys had that non-stop motor, that will to outwork other guys. One worked his way into a scholarship out of high school by showing in camps that he could get the job done in spite of his size. The other walked on and worked his way up.

Let's not forget that an awful lot of people thought a certain QB was too short, as well.

Kalil and Matthews are incredible athletes with strong NFL bloodlines. Not the best examples, IMO. I think a much better USC example would be Brian Cushing. He was skinny as a rail when he arrived at USC, IIRC he was a walkon too. Sure, he roided up like a madman, but he's a great example of a guy with heart that turned himself into an NFL star at an athleticism dependent position.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
If the draft grade thread is any indication, people aren't steamed. Most seem to feel the draft was at least average with or without including Harvin. Dissonance may play a part, particularly like the OP is suggesting with our 3rd round selection, but I'd have to guess the biggest contributor to the negativity is the fallout from heightened expectations. Our FO was basically clairvoyant for the first three rounds last year and just about any selections we made this year weren't going to top that, particularly for our short-term speculation and gratification (which we've become much less patient with since the SB expectations emerged).

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":4t9887l3 said:
Anyone who is steamed over the picks needs to get over themselves. You really think you have a right to be angry because the team didn't pick who YOU wanted?

Thats like 90% of the draft day forum.... lol

xtm059

Reaction score
If I had to attach a grade to the Seahawks draft

c-

I'm not an expert, however, and I'll trust the administration is trying to do what they can to make the team better.

I think they drafted a lot for depth.

Don't really have anything good to say after that.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
xtm059":1sff354c said:
I think they drafted a lot for depth.

That's what you do when your roster is fairly set from the previous year and bolstered through wise free agency moves. It's such a novelty to many of us, we don't know how to rate it objectively.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wonder if Niner fans whined this much about "drafting for depth" after their team used a second on LaMichael James a year after drafting Kendall Hunter in the 4th to be their back up RB (sound famiiliar?). Good thing they did. Hunter got hurt and James won them the game in New England (and basically the division).

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
kearly":28hes1t1 said:
Because Christine Michael is a virtual Ahman Green clone. I'd say he did alright for himself.

Ahman Green ran a 4.19 40 yard dash at his pro day.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kearly":qiiarz8m said:
sc85sis":qiiarz8m said:

Kalil and Matthews are incredible athletes with strong NFL bloodlines. Not the best examples, IMO. I think a much better USC example would be Brian Cushing. He was skinny as a rail when he arrived at USC, IIRC he was a walkon too. Sure, he roided up like a madman, but he's a great example of a guy with heart that turned himself into an NFL star at an athleticism dependent position.
Nope. Cush wasn't skinny when he showed up. He got that way after hurting his shoulder his freshman year. We had so many injuries on D that he had to play anyway and was practically a one-armed man by the time we got to the Rose Bowl game against Texas. He had surgery a day or so after that game. He was a highly touted player that was on scholie from day one.

Lofa might be a better example. Likewise for Troy Polamalu. Neither was highly ranked and they both basically got scholarships as legacy guys at USC.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
sc85sis":2jsme2xi said:
kearly":2jsme2xi said:
sc85sis":2jsme2xi said:

Nope. Cush wasn't skinny when he showed up. He got that way after hurting his shoulder his freshman year. We had so many injuries on D that he had to play anyway and was practically a one-armed man by the time we got to the Rose Bowl game against Texas. He had surgery a day or so after that game. He was a highly touted player that was on scholie from day one.

Lofa might be a better example. Likewise for Troy Polamalu. Neither was highly ranked and they both basically got scholarships as legacy guys at USC.

Great post.

Latest posts