Does anyone dislike Mayock?

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Does anyone dislike Mayock?
Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:27 pm
  • For every single analyst/commentator in sports, there is always someone who can't stand them.

Whether it's Kiper, McShay, Gruden, Costas take your pick. There are people who like them, and people who can't stand them.

But does anyone honestly dislike Mike Mayock? Pretty sure i'm not alone in my respect for the man, and maybe his "GET OFF ME" call from the Beastquake game has blinded me to his faults.

Is there anything wrong with Mayock?
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Re: Does anyone dislike Mayock?
Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:58 pm
  • I also really like Mayock.

Costas is the one guy I can't stand. I just get this vibe that he thinks he's the coolest man alive. He just irks me, haha.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:20 pm
  • Loved Mayock since he first came on the scene a few years ago. Always says the right thing, and when he guesses wrong (which is not too often) he admits he was wrong and takes responsibility for it without excuse.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:22 pm
  • Anyone see the video of him getting loose at the senior bowl? Great stuff!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:51 am
  • Love Mayock. In fact I was watching the draft with a friend who has no draft knowledge (doesn't follow) and he pointed to mayock on screen and asked, "who is that guy? on the right? I like that dude."

He just a genuinely likable person. Old Bellichek is even a fan.
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:21 am
  • When Bellichick likes you enough to actually enjoy doing an interview with you, you're doing something right. Love the guy.
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:28 am
  • Mayock is the best media talent evaluator period. On top of that he presents the information in a professional manner whether it be positive or negative. If Mayock had a stroke on the set and couldn't even speak he would still be better than that ass hat Kiper. I don't even turn ESPN on anymore because I can't stand to look at or listen to Kiper.
    penihawk
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 am
  • I don't like him as much as everyone else does. He has turned into somewhat of a know it all. Most draft nics are. While he maybe one of the better talent evaluators out there I think some call him the best because that's what they hear everyone else say. To casual fans at least, there are really only 3 super recognizable "draft experts" and Kiper and McShay are idiots. I think where Mayock makes himself come off as easier to like he is rarely ultra critical. He doesn't come unglued after a pick the way Kiper does. When doing evaluation he will say " he needs to do this better." Kiper says " he can't do this."
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:45 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:I don't like him as much as everyone else does. He has turned into somewhat of a know it all. Most draft nics are. While he maybe one of the better talent evaluators out there I think some call him the best because that's what they hear everyone else say. To casual fans at least, there are really only 3 super recognizable "draft experts" and Kiper and McShay are idiots. I think where Mayock makes himself come off as easier to like he is rarely ultra critical. He doesn't come unglued after a pick the way Kiper does. When doing evaluation he will say " he needs to do this better." Kiper says " he can't do this."

You're right, his approach is lot more palatable, than Kipers. McShay while at times is a douche, he's not always one.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:48 am
  • I don't dislike him but i'd rather watch kiper and Mcshay. They all have knowledge, but the ESPN guys are far more entertaining, imo.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:I don't dislike him but i'd rather watch kiper and Mcshay. They all have knowledge, but the ESPN guys are far more entertaining, imo.

For the first 2 days ESPN was a lot better, NFLN wanted to spend all day 2 yacking about Geno Smith & Manti Te'o
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 am
  • I love Mayock, guy knows his stuff.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:20 am
  • Mayock as a pure draft analyst is great. However, I think as a TV presence he is pretty awful. He ALWAYS TALKS LIKE THIS, and often times gets a bit too heated/hard-headed with other analysts, making it pretty awkward to watch.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:25 am

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 am
  • I love Mayock. He's a breath of fresh air for me.

He's done his homework and he's straight forward.

He's also a no BS kind of guy who can also laugh at himself.

I find him knowledgeable and entertaining.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:32 am
  • seahawks875 wrote:I like mayock, but gruden is my favorite, and watch this:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=0rLOEvYULfY

Dude, that's hilarious!!

Thx for sharing.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:05 pm
  • If you don't like Mayock, you're nuts and your opinion doesn't count for anything. ;)
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:17 pm
  • I definitely like Mayock, but watching Eisen was painful.
    HolyEffinMoses
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:41 pm
  • I love Eisen, too. His personality is awesome. He's not big on football knowledge, though...
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:46 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:I don't like him as much as everyone else does. He has turned into somewhat of a know it all. Most draft nics are. While he maybe one of the better talent evaluators out there I think some call him the best because that's what they hear everyone else say. To casual fans at least, there are really only 3 super recognizable "draft experts" and Kiper and McShay are idiots. I think where Mayock makes himself come off as easier to like he is rarely ultra critical. He doesn't come unglued after a pick the way Kiper does. When doing evaluation he will say " he needs to do this better." Kiper says " he can't do this."

Well, he is an expert. I don't think that necessarily makes him a know-it-all. His criticism is backed up by clearheaded analysis (even if I don't agree with the analysis).

The problem with Kiper and McShay is that they don't even seem to understand team needs beyond two or three of the more media-covered teams in the league. If you asked Kiper and Mayock to explain what the 9-tech/LEO position is and how Bruce Irvin might fit that role before last year's draft, which of them would have had the clearer, more technically-advanced answer?
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:31 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Mayock as a pure draft analyst is great. However, I think as a TV presence he is pretty awful. He ALWAYS TALKS LIKE THIS, and often times gets a bit too heated/hard-headed with other analysts, making it pretty awkward to watch.

HOW DARE YOU!!! He suffers from voice immodulation. He's unable to control the pitch or volume of his voice. Also known as Van Horton's Syndrome, VI is a recognized psycho-medical condition which you may have read about in Newsweek or Crack Magazine. Numerous prominent Americans suffer from this debilitating disease, including the guy who played Rodge on "What's Happening" and tennis great Pete Sampras.

Imagine being at a high school dance, singing along with everyone else "and a little bit softer now, and a little bit softer now, and a little bit softer now." Or how about sitting in the privacy of your church confessional and whispering to your priest, "I've had impure thoughts about that hippy puppet in the Muppet Show Band."
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:44 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Mayock as a pure draft analyst is great. However, I think as a TV presence he is pretty awful. He ALWAYS TALKS LIKE THIS, and often times gets a bit too heated/hard-headed with other analysts, making it pretty awkward to watch.

I agree.

No wait, I AGREE WITH THIS STATEMENT, I'M TALKING LIKE MIKE MAYOCK!

You guys don't find him exhausting to watch?
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:06 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:You guys don't find him exhausting to watch?

Not in the slightest. His delivery may be lacking, but what he actually says almost always has real substance behind it.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:12 pm
  • I get the sense that Todd McShay and especially Mel Kiper lean towards the middle in their analysis. They watch a player and love him, but then see that everyone else has that player in the 4th round, so they put that player in the early 4th.

Mayock is far more courageous in his analysis, though that often leads to him having several "wtf" picks in his rankings every year. I think I actually agree with McShay's rankings the most of the three, but Mayock is a highly intellectual person and always has well thought out reasons for his opinions. I enjoy listening to Mayock's opinions the most, even if he's transmitting from Mars at times.

I've been watching Mayock do his thing for many years now, but it was just last weekend that I noticed he's left handed. If he's correspondingly right-hemisphere dominant in his brain, that would explain a lot regarding his unique nature and outlooks.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed May 01, 2013 2:36 pm
  • I find Mayock informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed that he was getting annoyed with Eisen always bringing the conversation back to Manti and Geno. Good to see somebody stand up to Eisen. I used to like Eisen, but his "smug" level is over the top these days and he rearely discusses football on his podcast anymore...just wants to talk about all the cool people he hangs with.
    canfan
    NET Rookie

Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 pm
  • canfan wrote:I find Mayock informative and entertaining. I especially enjoyed that he was getting annoyed with Eisen always bringing the conversation back to Manti and Geno. Good to see somebody stand up to Eisen. I used to like Eisen, but his "smug" level is over the top these days and he rearely discusses football on his podcast anymore...just wants to talk about all the cool people he hangs with.

That is my other issue with Mayock. He is surrounded by arse clowns. Miller, Prime, Irvin, Sapp, Eisen, pretty much everyone but him. Billick. Is a clown. Nfln is pretty much a low budget completely unwatchable network. He needs to go to NBCS or CBS Sports and take his followers with him.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed May 01, 2013 4:04 pm
  • NFL Network would be so much better if they'd just put Mayock and a presenter at a desk, discussing each pick. Break it up with some Daniel Jeremiah chiming in every now and again, or Charles Davis. There were times where Mayock was being cut off in his reactions, or having to rush through them. Why?

It's like they're pandering to the people who pay zero attention during the process and just watch the draft. As if those people are going to be any more or less interested because Michael Irvin is there too, or Brian Billick. Mayock is such an engaging listen it wouldn't matter. Now it'd be wrong to expect him to sit there for 4 hours talking non stop, but they don't have to dilute his output.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 01, 2013 9:04 pm
  • Actually I like him. As he is low key. Does not get excited. Just really seems that he is low key which I like!
    Happy NFL Training Camp!
    Passepartout
    NET Practice Squad

Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I love Eisen, too. His personality is awesome. He's not big on football knowledge, though...

I don't dislike Eisen, he's fine as a personality. I was more commenting on the point where it got to him having to apologize about bringing up Te'o, Geno, or Mathieu and then talk about Te'o, Smith, or Mathieu, or whatever non-story they wanted to push, for the next 5 minutes during the first round. I'm sure it was probably the producers trying to push these stories, and him being the lead anchor had to bring it up, but it just got painful having to listen to it over and over.
    HolyEffinMoses
    NET Bench Warmer

Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 pm
  • Holy, if you haven't done so before, you should listen to a couple of Eisen's own hour-long podcasts. He's in charge, I think you might like them.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu May 02, 2013 12:55 am
  • I'll give them a listen, always looking for a new podcast to help the work day go quicker. Thanks.
    HolyEffinMoses
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri May 03, 2013 4:52 pm
  • I like Mayock. He may be a little "dry" but I'd rather have a guy that does his homework and knows what he talks about vs the clowns like Kiper or Pissquick that are lazy douches that only follow 4 or 5 of the "glamour" teams and spend the rest of their time talking out of their overpaid asses!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun May 12, 2013 2:21 am

Mon May 13, 2013 9:04 am
  • Throwdown wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:I don't dislike him but i'd rather watch kiper and Mcshay. They all have knowledge, but the ESPN guys are far more entertaining, imo.

For the first 2 days ESPN was a lot better, NFLN wanted to spend all day 2 yacking about Geno Smith & Manti Te'o

The funny thing about that, Mayock was totally annoyed that Eisen kept trying to steer conversations back to Smith and TEO. He said a couple times he didn't care about the "Drama" of Smith and TEO falling. I was with Mayock.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

Sat May 18, 2013 1:11 pm
  • I echo Jazz's post exactly. I've liked him since I first started watching Mayock on draft stuff.

I also agree with the post saying he's more positive than Kiper who says "this guy can't do X".
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ NFL NATION ]

Information