OLB? Malcolm Smith? What is the plan

nitticanuck

Reaction score
Many thought including myself that a OLB would be drafted with one of our first pics. With the departure of Leroy what is the plans. I liked what I saw of smith last year. Korey Toomer? Or can Avril/ Bruce combo in a different sheme be on the field for most downs? I still believe there is a clear hole in our will linebacker. Am I missing something

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Think this years LB class failed Pete's speed tests by and large.

Possibly a switch to more 4-2-5 defensive schemes, especially with the signing of Winfield and Pete's statement he'll see a large amount of snaps, and the fact that Kam Chancellor is about as good of a SS/LB hybrid candidate as you can hope for.

An over abundance of LEO types in Clemons, Irvin and Avril that could see partial time at SAM LB.

Pete's confidence in Smith, Toomer and Wright to make up for the loss of Hill.

Pick your poison, quite possibly a combination of some or all these points.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Pete said in his presser Malcolm Smith would get first shot at WLB. But I wouldn't be surprised if we see Avril or even Irvin there at specific spots this season.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Already been discussed a lot, but I agree with those that think you'll see a lot of 4-2-5 this season. Winfield basically tackles like a linebacker anyway. Pete has also been saying throughout the draft pressers that they're going to use schemes that utilize Avril and Irvin at the linebacker position (likely at SAM with KJ sliding over to WILL). He made reference to some of the schemes he ran at USC with Clay Matthews and Brian Cushing.

Ultimately, I don't think the WILL position is as important as you, and many others, might think it is. I also think they feel pretty good about who they have competing for the spot now and the potential FAs they might be able to bring in later.

Biggiec76

Reaction score
Pete in a video had Harvin in the draft room, then Irvin came in and he said that Bruce was going to try to play linebacker

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt Bruce will play LB, at least in any kind of full time roll. But who knows.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
WLB is by far the easiest position to fill on our defense with low resource talent and it isn't a position that is worth a high draft pick or a large contract. Guys just need to be fast and tackle. Similar with MLB.

We made such a mistake years ago by putting a ton of money into that position at the expense of other positions.

I would say Smith is in the driver seat at this point but in the post draft presser, P/J mentioned that they were able to scoop up a couple UDFA LBs that were considered draftable - I expect one of these guys to make the roster as ST/OLB.

Snohomie

Reaction score
If Smith is healthy, I think he'll be pretty good. He's flashed some good ability.

My biggest concern is depth. Not sure what we have in Toomer, it doesn't seem like we have a ton of depth here. But, then again, with Winfield and the general move towards 3+ WR sets, we probably aren't going to get bit here.

Seafan

Reaction score
Can't be disappointed since the WLB/Leo positions have Clemons, Avril, Irvin, Smith, Powell, Toomer, Morgan, Boatwright, and Buchanan. Plenty of competition. Likely only five of them make the roster. The Leo position will also be the one of the two that will be manned on almost all defensive downs.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
My guess is that we could add a vet FA here at camp time, if necessary, purely for some experienced depth.

seahawks875

Reaction score
In Pete's press conference, he said that they love the speed in their line backing crew and Wagner and wright are the leaders there at MIKE and SAM. He said all the guys at LEO (Clemons, avril, Irvin, Powell) will play a little SAM but not enough that people really notice, and he also said that they have always done that with the LEO playing SAM, so don't expect any of the LEOs playing a lot at SAM. He said there will be a competition for the WILL position, but he said there is a competition at every position. He said Malcolm Smith has the first shot to start there

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Leroy Hill had lost nearly 10% of his speed by the end of last year. I watched him "grabbing air" several times as runners ran right by him. I think that Pete will "discover" in camp/Preseason someone who can outshine Leroy.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
This is definitely going to be interesting. It seems pretty obvious they have a plan and not one that requires a dominant Will. Maybe they are planning for playing with healthy leads that reduce most running games or maybe they have a plan that rotates guys through the Will and Sam.

I think those pointing out the lack of importance of the Will are probably right on and we likely have the personnel needed when called upon.

Definitely interesting though and will make for some interesting reviews from OTA's and camps as to how they handle it.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Avril seems to be the piece that plays some "pass rushing" LB with Smith locked into pass defending LB. They must really like Smith and the other LBs on the roster. Smith was faster than pretty much any LB available to us, his injury history is troublesome though.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
Could anyone explain the roles of the different LB's in terms of our scheme? I understand the concepts we use in the secondary and up front but not the lbs, for instance why is KJ's Sam position more important then the Will?

Axx

Reaction score
Considering how many CB's we got this off season I think we will see a nickel a lot more this season.
Malcolm Smith is not that bad though. Irvin with his speed would probably make a good OLB

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think it will start with Smith ( he had trouble wrapping up on tackles ) and Then try Irvin, Avril . Anyone think they will try the new guy Powell? Body seems a good fit.

They are trying for a Julian Peterson type IMO.

Latest posts