At 137 Seattle selects Jesse Williams, DT Alabama

TwilightError

Reaction score
The front office has really made a statement on d-line this offseason. Have we added 5 players there now?

hawk45

Reaction score
This fits the pattern of guys we get who do one thing well, requiring our coach to put them in the right scheme and situations to let them kill it.

Red Bryant: He'll never be a pass rusher but stonewalls the runs.
Jesse Williams: Red-lite. Not a pass rusher, takes up a lot of space, strong, gets in the backfield and disrupts running lanes.
Bruce Irvin: Never be stout on the edge against the run, but can bring the pass rush.

The Hawks don't always do the one-trick-pony thing, Jordan Hill for example is a more complete Dlineman, but Schneid seems to have a good sense to also snag those pieces that Pete will know how to arrange out there for best results.

Hey you gotta be smart like that unless you can stack your roster with years of first rounders like the niners were able to do by virtue of underperforming for a decade.

Wow we're going to have TON of options on the Dline for once. If Red's foot bothers him, if any of the other guys have an owie, next man up.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Man I wanted this pick when we took Hill so as I mentioned earlier I really love this pick now. Williams on 1st-2nd down and than Hill for passing downs, I like it. One question though, for those in the know, is Williams good at pressuring the QB as well or better as a 2 down player as I envisioned earlier?

warden

Reaction score
I would of been happy if we took this guy in the second. Great value for a fifth round pick.

Atradees

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3fl1ejtq said:
Man I wanted this pick when we took Hill so as I mentioned earlier I really love this pick now. Williams on 1st-2nd down and than Hill for passing downs, I like it. One question though, for those in the know, is Williams good at pressuring the QB as well or better as a 2 down player as I envisioned earlier?

From analysis I have heard a 2 Gap run stuffing guy. He says he can play the 1, 3 or 5. Big double teamed space eater. Certainly powerful with A 600 lb bench. Used at the one by Alabama came from Australia. Junior college transfer. 2 title rings. Has played rugby. Knee injury.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Could well be. If his knee is already healthy, he has all summer for conditioning and learning. A lot of guys were high on him well earlier than what we got him, even as high as the second round. This was a very well played move by the front office.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I still love the fact that we traded in front of ourselves to take him. They clearly wanted two players at that one pick so they decided that they should move up to get both Williams and Simon.

Atradees

Reaction score
Rob Rang compares him to Vince Wolfolk. Good write up at CBS sports. No Linky with my RAZR. Good to hear about the knee

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
This is an excellent pick. He could have played in a 3-4, but in this defense he could dominate like Dana Stubblefield did for a few years in it.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
The more I read about this guy the more excited I get , If Red's foot flairs up we now have a perfect replacement. Gotta love John and Pete