Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Post subject: PC/JS Strategy re: Linebackers
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:06 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

2013 draft so far is confirming a feeling that I had regarding PC/JS 's strategy. The feeling is they don't value LB position as high. In terms of defense, it's upfront or out back (DL and Secondary). Not much emphasis on the middle. In many ways it makes sense. Really if you have a strong secondary and defensive line, then the linebackers (middle guys) can just be "clean up". You don't need to have premium guys there. This draft and offseason defensive moves shows emphasis on that. With two DTs been chosen in the draft, 2 DTs signed in FA, 1 DE signed in FA, and a CB picked in the draft plus a vet CB signed. Thus far a goose-egg for any new additions in the linebacker area. I could be wrong they don't see LBs as a strength in this draft but they haven't signed any vet LBs either.

Post subject: Re: PC/JS Strategy re: Linebackers
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm 
* NET Moderator *

Well they did spend a 2nd on a LB last year. I think its just that one outside backer spot that they dont really value much.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:20 pm 
NET Veteran

Bet Irvin sees more LB duty, just a hunch.

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:36 pm 
NET Veteran

Irvin will not play WLB - that is guaranteed.

WLB is simply the least valuable position on the defense. Remember when we had a ton of money at the LB position - it was a terrible move. Flow and tackle LBs are a dime a dozen. I am more concerned with getting depth for Wright.

a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:27 pm 
NET Veteran

TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:

WLB is simply the least valuable position on the defense. Remember when we had a ton of money at the LB position - it was a terrible move. Flow and tackle LBs are a dime a dozen. I am more concerned with getting depth for Wright.

Thought I would quote this for when he does.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:34 pm 
NET Veteran

It sounds like they are looking for another Julian Peterson

Post Posted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:50 pm 
NET Veteran

T-Sizzle wrote:
TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:

Thought I would quote this for when he does.

No but Irvin can play SLB moving Wright to WLB. It had been discussed as much by Schneider I believe.

#3 taught Doubters, GREATNESS can be a product of HARD WORK.
#25 taught America, that we're ALL just CLASSLESS jerks.
#24 taught the Media, to REAP what you SOW.
#12 taught the NFL, TO BE LOUDER.

YOU WANTED THIS NOISE, AMERICA.
DON'T PLAY WITH DYNAMITE, IF YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE BOOM.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 am 
* Mr Random Thought *

I think it's pretty simple, and that's why I called this happening exactly as it did months ago.

#1: This was a terrible draft for fast linebackers. Seattle could have had Arthur Brown at #56 and still traded down, and Brown was clearly the best fast linebacker of a bad bunch.

#2: Seattle already plays a lot of nickle defense and that rate will increase next season thanks to the addition of Winfield. WLB might only see 20 snaps a game.

#3: Seattle has good depth at LB. Smith, Morgan, and Bradford are better players than most casual fans realize because those LBs don't get the playing time to amass sexy counting stats.

Seattle's in good shape. The next year that has a good draft for fast linebackers, look for Seattle to make an investment. In the short term, their LB situation is more than fine.

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]