Pick 231: Ty Powell, OLB/LEO, Harding

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Changed my mind. They all still deserve their own threads.

Finally an OLB. Mel Kiper likes him. Looks like an edge pass rusher.

[youtube]JmzKXntDOd4[/youtube]

The Outfield

Reaction score
Found these Facebook posts on NFL.com:

James LeClair · University of San Diego":1hw5x9kp said:
why has thank you not been drafted yet? if your looking for a complege package this guy can do it all at any position. He can throw, catch, pass rush, cover, and pretty much everything else. Played with him in jc when he was a safety and playing with a pinched nerve all year. Super athletic, good read skills, and very intimidating to receivers. This guy is strong enough to pass rush off the outside and quick enough to pass cover across the middle. Most importantly he can tackle.

JB Baez · Sales at In-Shape Health Clubs":1hw5x9kp said:
hes going to play lb watch I played with him at de anza where he was our strong safety his read skills are amazing and hes super fast and strong! I promise you hes going to be a shocker.

Take them for what they're worth.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Straight SLB for KJ Wright and ST player. May compete for WLB spot but will for sure play SLB first and foremost.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Another great late round pick. Played quarterback and cornerback in addition to DE.

Reactions:

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 1m
Powell's mesurables: 6'2/249, 4.62 40, 1.59 10-yard salit; 28 reps on bench, 37" vert, 6.98 3-cone, 4.4 short shuttle. Pretty explosive

Josh Norris ‏@JoshNorris 3m
Like this Ty Powell pick. SLB with pass rushing ability. Seahawks are finishing strong.

Dave Softy Mahler ‏@Softykjr 2m
Ty Powell was high on my board. Surprised he fell this far.

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest 3m
Seahawks pick Ty Howell transferred three times, had off-field issues, 37-inch vertical, 4.6 speed, 28 reps, DE/OLB/LB type.

Paul Allen ‏@PaulGAllen 5m
Hawks take Ty Powell OLB/LEO from Harding Univ in Arkansas @Seahawks

Derek Stephens ‏@DStephensScout 5m
Powell has played DE, LB and Safety. Granted...at Harding.

Derek Stephens ‏@DStephensScout 4m
Could potentially be a WSLB consideration as well. Moves that well in space, and looks good dropping back. Explodes downhill.

Derek Stephens ‏@DStephensScout 4m
Scouts have raved about his natural ball skills. Thinking more and more that he could be developmental WILL

Danny Kelly ‏@FieldGulls 37s
Pete Carroll says Ty Powell will be a LEO but mentions that their LEOs can play both sides (Sam and LEO) - can drop well, mentions PC

oldschlhwkfn

Reaction score
Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest 3m
Seahawks pick Ty Howell transferred three times, had off-field issues, 37-inch vertical, 4.6 speed, 28 reps, DE/OLB/LB type.

"off-field issues".....have heard this countless times during the draft, kinda getting tired of it, when was the
last time your heard a player that had "on-field issues". Seems like a lot of players have issues, their young
and invincible. BI had issues and seems like he's doin pretty good so far. give'm a chance to grow up and see what
they can do. Ty "Power"ell, u heard it here first.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Funny, first thing I looked at when I saw him was "looks to be about 6'3" and 240ish. decently fluid for that size, doesn't look to have super fast high gear but I like the explosion coming off change of direction"

6'2" and 249 is almost LEO size....if he's versatile I think he might stick. If he plays as well as a Morgan or Smith then we might see him make the roster due to those guys not stepping up enough and this guy might have the untapped potential. Probably PS material at first. TC is going to be interesting in a few spots.

parson420

Reaction score
I absolutely love this pick. Mainly because I went to Harding. No i didnt know him. I thought about posting a topic asking opinions on him a few months ago.

bigcc

Reaction score
oldschlhwkfn":ufis8nve said:
"off-field issues".....have heard this countless times during the draft, kinda getting tired of it, when was the
last time your heard a player that had "on-field issues".
tebow

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I like this pick a lot. And as old mentioned earlier, all of of picks seem to have off the field issues, I personally believe that we have a strong enough locker-room to deal with it, but hopefully they do not become a problem.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I just told my wife he's 25 years old and she responded "Is he Mormon?"

Funny.

ErikG803

Reaction score
I like the majority of our picks but I really think Powell is gonna be the guy who sticks out looking back at this draft

Of course, I kinda thought that about Toomer last year too :p