PC/JS Strategy re: Linebackers

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
PC/JS Strategy re: Linebackers
Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:06 pm
  • 2013 draft so far is confirming a feeling that I had regarding PC/JS 's strategy. The feeling is they don't value LB position as high. In terms of defense, it's upfront or out back (DL and Secondary). Not much emphasis on the middle. In many ways it makes sense. Really if you have a strong secondary and defensive line, then the linebackers (middle guys) can just be "clean up". You don't need to have premium guys there. This draft and offseason defensive moves shows emphasis on that. With two DTs been chosen in the draft, 2 DTs signed in FA, 1 DE signed in FA, and a CB picked in the draft plus a vet CB signed. Thus far a goose-egg for any new additions in the linebacker area. I could be wrong they don't see LBs as a strength in this draft but they haven't signed any vet LBs either.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Re: PC/JS Strategy re: Linebackers
Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:07 pm
  • Well they did spend a 2nd on a LB last year. I think its just that one outside backer spot that they dont really value much.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:20 pm
  • Bet Irvin sees more LB duty, just a hunch.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:36 pm
  • Irvin will not play WLB - that is guaranteed.

WLB is simply the least valuable position on the defense. Remember when we had a ton of money at the LB position - it was a terrible move. Flow and tackle LBs are a dime a dozen. I am more concerned with getting depth for Wright.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:27 pm
  • TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Irvin will not play WLB - that is guaranteed.

WLB is simply the least valuable position on the defense. Remember when we had a ton of money at the LB position - it was a terrible move. Flow and tackle LBs are a dime a dozen. I am more concerned with getting depth for Wright.

Thought I would quote this for when he does.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:34 pm
  • It sounds like they are looking for another Julian Peterson
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:50 pm
  • T-Sizzle wrote:
    TDOTSEAHAWK wrote:Irvin will not play WLB - that is guaranteed.

Thought I would quote this for when he does.

No but Irvin can play SLB moving Wright to WLB. It had been discussed as much by Schneider I believe.
    If I seem too passionate, it’s because I care. And if I come on too strong, it’s because I feel strongly. And if I push too hard, it’s because things aren’t moving fast enough. This is my home, you are my family, and I promise you, I’m not going anywhere.” - L.K.
    Pandion Haliaetus
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:01 am
  • I think it's pretty simple, and that's why I called this happening exactly as it did months ago.

#1: This was a terrible draft for fast linebackers. Seattle could have had Arthur Brown at #56 and still traded down, and Brown was clearly the best fast linebacker of a bad bunch.

#2: Seattle already plays a lot of nickle defense and that rate will increase next season thanks to the addition of Winfield. WLB might only see 20 snaps a game.

#3: Seattle has good depth at LB. Smith, Morgan, and Bradford are better players than most casual fans realize because those LBs don't get the playing time to amass sexy counting stats.

Seattle's in good shape. The next year that has a good draft for fast linebackers, look for Seattle to make an investment. In the short term, their LB situation is more than fine.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:37 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information