At 87 Seattle selects Jordan Hill, DT, Penn St.

Mick063

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1djmb018 said:
Mick063":1djmb018 said:
Hill looks like he will be overpowered by double teams in the run game, but his use of his hands to disengage and his closing speed appear top notch.

Most guys get overpowered by double teams. It takes a strange freak of nature to battle two NFL-caliber guys and come out on top. If he's a great interior pass rusher with great closing speed, then he's the right pick for this organization.

I'm not going to disagree with you, but some players hold up better than others. Sometimes an interior lineman just needs to anchor a 3 foot area for an extra half second so the mike linebacker can make a play. A guy like the Raven's nose tackle can anchor a spot long enough to be effective. Perhaps they all get beat by double teams. Some get beat a little worse.

I don't expect Carroll will put Hill in that position. Carroll will put Hill in a position to succeed.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
amill87":2gj1jmbg said:
kearly":2gj1jmbg said:
I would have waited at least two rounds later before taking him, personally.

I had a pretty good laugh today with Sando's blog about how predictable the Niner's draft is. He said it is because the FO has been around a few years and we can see their trends. I don't know if there is a person on this planet that can predict what our FO is gonna do next and I love that about them.

Just for the record and for fun, Kearly did hit on the Michael pick, and I myself has advocated Jordan Hill selection throughout the draft process mocking him to the Seahawks between the 2nd - 4th rounds. But Hill was the guy that I wanted, my one constant, I wanted him in Seahawk blue, much like I wanted Mebane, as well as, Bryant in Seahawks blue in their respective draft classes.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
I dunno...I like the pick and don't feel it's a reach. I love how nimble and slippery this guys is. He won't physically dominate in the sense of bull rushing or collapsing the pocket, but the dude is quick and slippery, and he gets behind the LOS quite regularly regardless of OL size. That could be Kryptonite for big, corn-fed OLs like the Whiners. The guy has some unique skills that are hard to grade in traditional fashion when looking at DL players. Yeah, he won't totally dominate, but I think he's gonna be a head scratcher to protect against. If anyone can maximize his unique skillset, it's Quinn and PC.

General Manager

Reaction score
He's underated i think he'll be a good player for us. Pete and John have a track record of identifying players that are better than there draft grade .

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Kearly knows his stuff and I respect his opinion. There's a contradiction here though. The guy kicked butt on Wisconsin. He kicked butt on some very good olinemen. I always say actions speak louder than words. And Quinn wanted him. I just don't think this guy's a reach. But hey, that's the fun of preseason, seeing who pans out and who doesn't. It's a crap shoot and the Hawks have shown they're better than most at crap shooting.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":ybudamo7 said:
Looks like our Justin Smith equivalent I like it!

LOL, no, Justin is a pocket collapser and run plugger who can occupy double teams. He doesn't rely on slipping by people, but instead dominates with power and brute strength. Very stout at the point of attack. Entirely different athlete.

McGruff

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":gnsphlk7 said:
Looks like our Justin Smith equivalent I like it!

Might be a stretch to compare him to the best all around DE in the game.

Reaction score
My favourite pick of the draft. Anyone who's compared to Geno Atkins excites me - he's almost the exact same height and weight as Geno and he looks like he can easily add more bulk up top. I don't know a whole lot about him but if he was nursing an injury at combine then his measurables can be even better when fully healthy.

Looking at those game highlights, he seems to have a knack for sliding around and making plays. Wasn't Geno Atkins's crutch that he didn't produce as much as he should in college? I think Hill could be the same sort of steal. If he is, then we've just found the last piece of a championship defense.

penihawk

Reaction score
I really like Hill to develop as a inside penetrating guy we don't really have. I think he could become Henry Melton.

drdiags

Reaction score
Getting to know your pick. Here is an article on Jordan Hill containing video of him talking about being picked, another of his mom on the day of the draft, a party at his home town the next day celebrating his selection and a slideshow with friends/family after they ran out and got Seahawks gear to wear to his celebration party.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/steelton_proud_penn_state_stan.html

They originally thought he was going to go in the 3rd round to Dallas with one of the Cowboys 2 picks.

Reaction score
drdiags":1jq95eld said:
Getting to know your pick. Here is an article on Jordan Hill containing video of him talking about being picked, another of his mom on the day of the draft, a party at his home town the next day celebrating his selection and a slideshow with friends/family after they ran out and got Seahawks gear to wear to his celebration party.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2013/04/steelton_proud_penn_state_stan.html

They originally thought he was going to go in the 3rd round to Dallas with one of the Cowboys 2 picks.

Seems like a good kid. I hope he's one nasty SOB on the field though.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Jordan Hill will be a stud tacking machine in a Seahawks uniform for a long time. Love the never say die motor on this guy.

There's a reason why they picked this guy to be a 3Tech runstopper before 'Jesse the Monstar'. And that right there says a lot. What I like most is that now that we have both, Hill will set the high energy tone, and also bring out the best in Jesse Williams' longevity, by saving him some wear and tear on the knees from too many double teams like at 'Bama.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Hill was elite vs Wisconsin. You can really see it from the 2:00 minute mark forward. His bullrush, swim and rip moves are very effective and he got his way against bigger opponents.

[youtube]dJcbDCuStPs[/youtube]