At 123 Seattle selects: Chris harper, WR KS

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Ex Duck QB. TOUGH TOUGH wr. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Brian Blades. Realy good run blocking WR as well. If you don't love the pick now I pretty much guarantee you'll love the player in a couple years.

I like it!

JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• The competition level for the WR's at training camp is just going through the roof. Dang.
    How many 49ers fans does it take to change a light bulb?

None, they will all show and talk about how good the old one was...
    hawker232
    NET Rookie

• Was hoping for Swope but he sounds enticing.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I'm thinking Anquin Bolden 2.0
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• Stupid ESPN was on a commercial break during our pick.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Great pick. Excellent pick. wow ... big body. Good route runner...
    Joe
    joeseahawks
    *The Prophet*

• Those moves look like he can be another Sydney Rice. I'm looking forward to watching him.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Rookie

• He sounds a lot like a slightly faster Jermaine Kearse
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• truehawksfan wrote:I'm thinking Anquin Bolden 2.0

Yea, Brian Blades, Anquin Boldin, Hines Ward.... physical, fiesty type WR.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• truehawksfan wrote:I'm thinking Anquin Bolden 2.0

Not a bad comparison. Great comparison actually. They're the same size and were both college QB's at one point that converted to WR.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Some Twitter reactions, all positive:

Derek Stephens ‏@DStephensScout 7m
    That's a great pick guys. Seahawks fans will LOVE Chris Harper. Looks/plays similar to A. Boldin.

Evan Silva ‏@evansilva 8m
    New #Seahawks WR Chris Harper had highest Wonderlic of all WRs at Combine (33). Ran 4.55. Physical receiver. Some Boldin comparisons.

Adam Wright ‏@BlueOsprey 7m
    Chris Harper is 6'1, 229 lbs. Ran a 4.55 40-yard dash. Benched 225 lbs. 20 times (most of all WRs at the combine).

Daniel Hill ‏@D_Hill80 12m
    Chris Harper was the only REAL playmaker to help out Collin Klein last season at Kansas State, phenomenal pick @Seahawks!

Cecil Lammey ‏@cecillammey 23 Jan
    One of my favorite players this week @seniorbowl is Kansas State WR Chris Harper-- size, crisp routes, reminds me of Anquan Boldin #NFLDraft

John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 1m
    Harper said ability to win jump balls stems from being a short post player in hoops, which gave him "mentality of playing bigger than I was"

Adam Wright ‏@BlueOsprey 2m
    Kirchner on Harper: "Not a big make-you-miss guy, but he's got the power to run through tackles. Does a great job high pointing the ball."

Matt Pitman ‏@mattpitman 2h
    Fourth round: WR Chris Harper, Kansas State http://bit.ly/ZE4f6h
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Shock2k wrote:Stupid ESPN was on a commercial break during our pick.

Every year they always are. The Seattle pick doesnt matter to the talking heads and when we pick they are always talking about someone else.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Such a great pick, worried about playing you guys this year - on the bright side, we have young and terrific CBs.
    Falcan Moore
    NET Practice Squad

• I've found my adopt a rookie.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• This is such a different draft experience than I've had before. It's nice to see us not drafting for immediate needs. It seems like we're drafting for future needs and salary cap flexibility. I get the sense that the success of this draft is more likely to be felt as these people replace players with higher cap numbers over the next couple years, not so much what they do this year. This seems like a replacement for Rice or Tate - maybe not this year, but next. I love our FO's forward thinking.
    Last edited by NorthwestSportsFan on Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
    NorthwestSportsFan
    NET Rookie

• I figured a WR there, but was expecting Patton or Mark Harrison. Interesting.
    I hate Tim Ruskell.
    Trrrroy
    NET Veteran

• rainger wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:Stupid ESPN was on a commercial break during our pick.

Every year they always are. The Seattle pick doesnt matter to the talking heads and when we pick they are always talking about someone else.

It's Round 4... they're done showing picks live.

Calm down.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Falcan Moore wrote:Such a great pick, worried about playing you guys this year - on the bright side, we have young and terrific CBs.

As a UDub fan watching Desmond play a ton, he never screamed above average NFL starter to me. Not trying to rain on your parade, but yeah.
    Steve2222
    NET Veteran

• NorthwestSportsFan wrote:This is such a different draft experience than I've had before. It's nice to see us not drafting for immediate needs. It seems like we're drafting for future needs and salary cap flexibility in the future. I get the sense that the success of this draft is more likely to be felt as these people replace players with higher cap numbers over the nect couple years, not so much what they do this year.

That's how I see it. This FO is very smart in preparing for the years ahead. All of our picks seem to be guys that can contribute PT initially, but take over when we face cap casualties coming up.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson just sent Chris Harper scouting info on the entire NFC West.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Steve2222 wrote:
    Falcan Moore wrote:Such a great pick, worried about playing you guys this year - on the bright side, we have young and terrific CBs.

As a UDub fan watching Desmond play a ton, he never screamed above average NFL starter to me. Not trying to rain on your parade, but yeah.

I'm far from thrilled with our draft. Actually pretty pissed with it. But apparently, if you rain on the parade, you're a "bad fan," so I'm holding my tongue till the draft is done.
    Falcan Moore
    NET Practice Squad

JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    rainger wrote:
    Shock2k wrote:Stupid ESPN was on a commercial break during our pick.

It's Round 4... they're done showing picks live.

Calm down.

You Calm down. I did not want them to show it live but at least TALK about the pick a bit. All they want to talk about is what the Jets/Giants etc are doing. I am allowed an opinion about the stupid media. You dont need to be my mother advising me.
    Member of 38 Plus club. Seahawks + PC/JS + Russell Wilson = Superbowl XLVIII +
    rainger
    NET Veteran

• Falcan Moore wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:
    Falcan Moore wrote:Such a great pick, worried about playing you guys this year - on the bright side, we have young and terrific CBs.

I'm far from thrilled with our draft. Actually pretty pissed with it. But apparently, if you rain on the parade, you're a "bad fan," so I'm holding my tongue till the draft is done.

Not at all. These players all have question marks, your concern is valid. However we only need to hit on a couple. There is not much room on this roster right now as good as it is.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

• Happypuppy wrote:
    Falcan Moore wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:As a UDub fan watching Desmond play a ton, he never screamed above average NFL starter to me. Not trying to rain on your parade, but yeah.

Not at all. These players all have question marks, your concern is valid. However we only need to hit on a couple. There is not much room on this roster right now as good as it is.

I'm talking about the Falcons draft haha. Seahawks draft has been pretty terrific from my perspective.
    Falcan Moore
    NET Practice Squad

• Rice and Tate threw the ball last season. Harper used to be a QB in Oregon so I expect to see the same from him.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

• Goodbye Charly Martin.
    nsport
    * NET Sports Handicapper *

• TwilightError wrote:Rice and Tate threw the ball last season. Harper used to be a QB in Oregon so I expect to see the same from him.

Well, instead of the 4WR offense, maybe we'll have a 5QB backfield.

:)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Falcan Moore wrote:
    Happypuppy wrote:
    Falcan Moore wrote:I'm far from thrilled with our draft. Actually pretty pissed with it. But apparently, if you rain on the parade, you're a "bad fan," so I'm holding my tongue till the draft is done.

I'm talking about the Falcons draft haha. Seahawks draft has been pretty terrific from my perspective.

Everybody else's draft is better than your team's. People want what they can't have. :thirishdrinkers:
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• JSeahawks wrote:Ex Duck QB. TOUGH TOUGH wr. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Brian Blades. Realy good run blocking WR as well. If you don't love the pick now I pretty much guarantee you'll love the player in a couple years.

I like it!

Looks like a very solid pick. Why did he transfer from Oregone????? Was he tired of the ugly uniform combos? :sarcasm_off:
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Ex Duck QB. TOUGH TOUGH wr. Actually reminds me quite a bit of Brian Blades. Realy good run blocking WR as well. If you don't love the pick now I pretty much guarantee you'll love the player in a couple years.

I like it!

Looks like a very solid pick. Why did he transfer from Oregone????? Was he tired of the ugly uniform combos? :sarcasm_off:

Lost the QB job.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I like this pick. Big receiver.

Adds more needed size and depth at receiver.

Overall, I like our receiver core, but the only thing we were missing was another bigger receiver.
    hawkmanj
    NET Starter

• Steve2222 wrote:

I am going to disagree with this - I think Desmond will above average ... he excels in tight coverage which to the extremely poor Pac-12 officiating means sometimes a flag and sometimes not, which makes it difficult for a corner to understand where lines are drawn.
    marymoorhawk
    NET Starter

• marymoorhawk wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:

I am going to disagree with this - I think Desmond will above average ... he excels in tight coverage which to the extremely poor Pac-12 officiating means sometimes a flag and sometimes not, which makes it difficult for a corner to understand where lines are drawn.

From the limited stuff I've seen of Desmond Trufant. To me he is KELLY JENNINGS 2.0, a guy with similar size and speed to Jennings. Who also is a "safe" pick. From what I've seen and Mayock has said, he doesn't make a lot of huge plays. The guy played 4 years and had just 6 INT's at least 1 of which was a gift as the QB of the opposing team overthrew it and it was easy pickings.

I wish him the best in ATL. I'm glad he's not in Seattle though.
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Depth at flanker - behind Rice. We don't have another big bodied WR on the team so this was needed.

Tate, Harvin and Baldwin are all slot/flankers.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

• Classic Pete WR. Big and fast that can catch in a crowd seems similar to Boldin possibly but faster.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:

Beautiful opening to the song on that highlight tape.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• I totally called this pick back during the Oregon-KSU Fiesta Bowl, or at least that's what my brother hit me up to give me props for, because I don't remember, I was DRUUUUUUUNK.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Falcan Moore wrote: But apparently, if you rain on the parade, you're a "bad fan," so I'm holding my tongue till the draft is done.

This is very true. Sad, but true. Or you are labeled as 'freaking out'. Such is life on an internet fan board.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• I'd like to see him get down the field a little more, but with Klein that might not have been his fault.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• jlwaters1 wrote:
    marymoorhawk wrote:
    Steve2222 wrote:As a UDub fan watching Desmond play a ton, he never screamed above average NFL starter to me. Not trying to rain on your parade, but yeah.

From the limited stuff I've seen of Desmond Trufant. To me he is KELLY JENNINGS 2.0, a guy with similar size and speed to Jennings. Who also is a "safe" pick. From what I've seen and Mayock has said, he doesn't make a lot of huge plays. The guy played 4 years and had just 6 INT's at least 1 of which was a gift as the QB of the opposing team overthrew it and it was easy pickings.

I wish him the best in ATL. I'm glad he's not in Seattle though.

I think he'll be more like his brother, a steadily reliable player but not an amazing player. I don't think they'll ever regret drafting him.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• This kid looks pretty impressive. He has the look of a NFL player.
    "God Bless Russell Wilson"
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• Worst thing I can say about Harper is that he demonstrates poor decision making. Decides he'd rather be a WR that catches passes in Bill Snyder's offense with Colin Klein as his QB, instead of in Chip Kelly's offense with Thomas/Mariotta as his QB??? Probably cost him 300+ yards this season alone.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

• Snohomie wrote:Worst thing I can say about Harper is that he demonstrates poor decision making. Decides he'd rather be a WR that catches passes in Bill Snyder's offense with Colin Klein as his QB, instead of in Chip Kelly's offense with Thomas/Mariotta as his QB??? Probably cost him 300+ yards this season alone.

If thats the worst thing you can say about him, then I'm good with that. He was an 18 year old kid when he made that decision; I think his reasons for transferring were reasonable considering his age, disappointment from having to switch from QB to WR, and wanting to be closer to home.

Harper is going to be a fan favorite for Seahawk nation.
    cover-2
    NET Veteran

• How many texts do you think he's gotten from Russell so far?
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Snohomie wrote:Worst thing I can say about Harper is that he demonstrates poor decision making. Decides he'd rather be a WR that catches passes in Bill Snyder's offense with Colin Klein as his QB, instead of in Chip Kelly's offense with Thomas/Mariotta as his QB??? Probably cost him 300+ yards this season alone.

I saw somewhere today that he transferred to Kansas to be a quarterback. It didn't work out so he switched. That would mean he wasn't considering switching before he'd already switched schools. Don't think it's that big a deal, myself. Hell, he's giving up yardage coming to the Seahawks, because we're going to be a pound-the-rock-first team, and he's well down the depth chart. Still, doubt that really matters to him. He's got a legitimate chance at being a solid, productive player here. I probably like this pick more than any of the others.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I like this kid a lot. He's exactly what I have been pounding the table for, a strong and physical type of WR that plays hard and will be an asset in the run game because of his blocking. Love this pick and I am rooting for this kid to become the next Boldin as some have compared him to.
    DJrmb
    NET Rookie

• I'm reading all these Boldin comparisons and thinking "right" how do all these draft scouts come up with the same player comparison... then I watch the vids in this thread... Yep, Anquan Boldin.

"Everyone hath a plan... until they get punthed in the fathe." -- Mike Tython on the 2014 Theattle Theahawkth.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• He fits the bill as the big, physical WR that I felt Seattle really needed. I like that he can catch outside his body and power opposing DBs for possession. He's also a very clean route runner. I don't love his apparent lack of downfield speed. I feel like he might have a modest ceiling, but he seems to add a much needed element to this receiving corps.

Interested to see how he looks with a legitimate QB.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information