My theory for why everyone's so steamed.

oasis

Reaction score
Over the last 3 years, our overall strategy was to take players with upside/tremendous physical tools and coach them up to success with the whole competition, swagger, etc.
So even though a bunch of people on here did not like the Michael pick, they were still able to digest it. The guy owned the combine.

But... from the shadows and depths of the dark and unruly Penn state... comes an "effort" guy.
High floor?
Low ceiling?
We've been conditioned to fear anything that looks or smells like a Ruskell pick. And for good reason.

But that's the idea of conditioning.

It's subconscious. We've learned to trust PC & JS. But sometimes our body becomes aversive to what had made us sick, :pukeface: and from where we stand, this guy is not a high upside/tremendous-physical-tools guy.

And another thing.
Somehow, with Hill, we are trying to imagine him as a physical freak because he was drafted by our own GM, but it's just not working. Cognitive dissonance (thinking of two opposing things at once) is uncomfortable.

And yes. I'm a psych major. And I'm bored. Let's go back to drafting some more big nasties on day 3.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
It's not the Michael pick that steams me, I can live with it; I just don't get the Jordan Hill pick. I should trust in JS&PC by now, but this one just reaks to me at the moment, I don't like it at all.

More than likely I'll be eating crow sometime about it probably, who knows, not I

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
This board is always entertaining...

We will never have 100% agreement, which is a good thing. Even now, I guarantee you there are posters who haven't bought into Pete, John, Russell Wilson, etc.

Just the way it rolls.

I nitpicked everything Ruskell and Mora did. I've learned to embrace the idea that Pete and John are operating on a much higher level than I can speculate.

OP
OP
O

oasis

Reaction score
City Of Reign":15in8gga said:
It's not the Michael pick that steams me, I can live with it; I just don't get the Jordan Hill pick. I should trust in JS&PC by now, but this one just reaks to me at the moment, I don't like it at all.

More than likely I'll be eating crow sometime about it probably, who knows, not I
Exactly. It reeks to me also. It's the conditioning. We were all expecting a workout warrior with bad tape or character issues. Instead we got an "effort guy." I think this was the first "effort guy" we ever drafted.

Although he seems like good competition for Bennet, methinks.

Spounge84

Reaction score
I think part of the problem is that PC & JS have had such success over the last three drafts that we're expecting every pick they make to be a difference maker. The draft is bit like batting in baseball, even the best only succeed 1/3 of the time.

Basis4day

Reaction score
PC and JS have earned the benefit of the doubt with the draft. Have there been some misses? Of course. But look at the impact players they have chosen. I don't need to waste your time naming them. We know.

Do i get the picks on the surface? Not really. But i'll hear an interview or two explaining the rational at the end of the draft and be excited again until camps start.

In PC/JC I trust.

drdiags

Reaction score
I think NFL fans just love the draft, after reading every scouting report they can put their hands on. All the video highlight film they can find and just the dedicated art it has become to folks. It is like Fantasy Football but as a GM. People figure they have followed the team, so they have a good feel for the strengths and weaknesses of the team. They build their top 100, put in all kind of time doing Mock drafts.

Then the draft comes and a big curveball gets thrown or a pick that doesn't seem to be of much worth and a huge disappointment follows. I wouldn't try to analyze the behavior of the NFL fan. It's like trying to understand what is love.

Just give the folks their space unless they pick up sharp objects or start threatening you. Then take dead aim.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I don't know remotely enough to judge the Jordan pick and I wouldn't judge the Michael pick either as I don't really follow the draft that closely. But I heard him talking on KJR tonight and my BS meter went off big time. Knowing nothing about him, I sensed this guy has serious maturity issues and probably doesn't have what it takes to make it in the NFL. Then I came home, read up on him, and wasn't at all surprised to hear that he's a headcase.

But Pete isn't a normal head coach either. So if anyone can get through to a BS jive turkey like Michael, it would be Pete. I hear Michael has the physical talent. Let's see if he can keep his head in the game and be a professional.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Anyone who is steamed over the picks needs to get over themselves. You really think you have a right to be angry because the team didn't pick who YOU wanted? They sure didn't get worse today. I have no doubt that the Hawks have very specific plans in mind for these guys.

Enjoy the show, we are one of the strongest rosters in the league.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Absolutely,

If you hate the Christine Michael pick, its like you're bashing on Marshawn Lynch.

If you hate the Jordan Hill pick, its like you're almost hating on Brandon Mebane.

Also, what people don't get about Hill is, he had knee surgery in Nov, added 10 pounds on his college playing weight, wasn't fully 100% going into workouts but his best numbers at the Combine & Pro Day have him on par with the likes if not better than Sharif Floyd, Sylvester Williams, and Kawaan Short.

28 bench reps, 30 inch vert, 9’03 broad jump, 4.97 40-yard dash, 1.76 10-yard dash, 4.51 yard shuttle, 7.49 3-cone drill.

Whether the doubters think so or not, Quinn got a player he can work with as a quick twitch gap penetrating 3 tech versatile enough to also take reps at 1 and 5 tech, and the fans get a player who loves football the right way and plays his heart out.

Just because Hill's not 6'4, 320 pounds doesn't mean he isn't any good.

chris98251

Reaction score
Curly Culp, Chartric Darby, size

At 6'1" and 265 lbs, Culp

Curley Culp was a tremendous athlete,” Pro Football Hall of Fame QB, Len Dawson, said. “He had such strength and quickness. I remember Jack Rudnay used to say that every center in the league should have to go against Curley in order to know what it’s like to go against the very best.”

The read up on Culp sounds a lot like Hill, Quinn made Bryant the Monster he is also by switching him, with Hills motor and athletic ability I think they have a use that may be out of the box for this kid.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":1do4m0t1 said:
This board is always entertaining...

We will never have 100% agreement, which is a good thing. Even now, I guarantee you there are posters who haven't bought into Pete, John, Russell Wilson, etc.

Just the way it rolls.

I nitpicked everything Ruskell and Mora did. I've learned to embrace the idea that Pete and John are operating on a much higher level than I can speculate.

Yeap. Hard to beat this board for entertainment value during the draft. :th2thumbs:

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
I'm so glad that we have such a high percentage of our community occupied by rational, informed, and humble fans. I just don't see how any one is crying or angry at this Draft class - BY THE WAY IT'S NOT OVER YET. Enjoy day 3, take notes and prepare to see a few of those players turn into gems.

Try to have some faith in the people that have built our superbowl favorite, highest amount of pro-bowl drafted players over the last 4 years accomplishing, incredibly exciting and regional pride enhancing team that we all love...

NYCoug

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":3ke87bmv said:
Anyone who is steamed over the picks needs to get over themselves. You really think you have a right to be angry because the team didn't pick who YOU wanted? They sure didn't get worse today. I have no doubt that the Hawks have very specific plans in mind for these guys.

Enjoy the show, we are one of the strongest rosters in the league.

I was trying to find a thread to post something along these lines but you absolutely nailed it Absolut. This sums up how I'm feeling entirely.

The Outfield":3ke87bmv said:
No way I'm going to complain til I see the kids play.

And this does too. I love all of you, you sick bastards, I really do. I love all the mocks and the banter and the buildup before the draft. It's one of my favorite things in all honesty. But once the draft starts and actual Seahawks picks are being made, there's no way I'm trusting any one of you more than John Schneider or Pete Carroll. I love you guys, I swear, but there's just no f'n way!

I hope to hell that Jordan Hill turns into a beast. Seems like the ultimate "it's the size of the fight in the dog" type football player. A freakin warrior. I love the fact that he was an afterthought in college recruiting as well. You want to talk about a chip on the shoulder? This guy's is the size of Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple, no doubt.

Ahhh, this is why I love late April. Because somehow, unimaginably despite their track record, Pete and John find some way to alienate themselves from the fanbase for even just a few brief days and have people freaking out about the potential of the new draft class. Seriously, I love it. Let's me know that Training Camp's just around the corner.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
oasis":1cc140er said:
Cognitive dissonance (thinking of two opposing things at once) is uncomfortable.

And yes. I'm a psych major. And I'm bored.
I was a psych major. Graduated with a BS in Counseling Psych, Magna cum Laude.

GIVE IT UP NOW WHILE YOU STILL HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE LEFT! Psychology is treated as a science -- but anything with six or eight contradictory, mutually exclusive theories that are all considered equally valid is not science. Talk about cognitive dissonance!

Oh yeah, the topic. I'm not steamed, I'm stoked.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I actually like both pics very much. Lynch is a top 3 back in this league, but we've seen what happens when he's out. Turbo is a good back right now, but a whole lot of upside still, but if Lynch goes down I don't want to lose much so we have two to back up Lynch. We NEED to run the ball. Our balance sets us apart and makes Wilson all the more deadly off play action. That's our identity: Balance. The idea is to become greatly proficient in both aspects to...at least come close to a guarantee offensive production no matter which defensive strength you're facing.

With Hill you have a very active leverage player who has violent hands against the block. He's in the backfield a lot. Size, frame, blah, blah, blah...this kid is a football player. As previously stated, this is a player not unlike Mike Patterson before when he was young before he got too fat, which is essentially a poor man's Mebane in a draft with not a lot of high end talent (like Christine Michael). I think this guy has better usage of hands and extension than Patterson ever did though and I've seen a lot of Mike Patterson.

kearly

Reaction score
I liked the Christine Pick more than any pick last year that wasn't Russell Wilson. People that are bashing this pick misunderstand Seattle's long term outlook at RB while failing to value Michael's intense upside. When the haters see this guy in pads, they won't be hating for long. Trust me. Remember how pissed we were when Seattle dealt Ahman Green? Because Christine Michael is a virtual Ahman Green clone. I'd say he did alright for himself.

I feel confident that Seattle just drafted one of the core pieces a championship team today.

Some people have NO IDEA how much more explosive this team has gotten this offseason, and the Seahawks still have 10 picks left in a loaded day 3. Michael is as explosive as it gets at RB. Ditto Harvin at WR. We added some major spark on defense too. This was already an explosive team. This is a freaking scary team, and it just got downright disgusting with Michael added, IMO.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
kearly":b9z83nsu said:
I liked the Christine Pick more than any pick last year that wasn't Russell Wilson. People that are bashing this pick misunderstand Seattle's long term outlook at RB while failing to value Michael's intense upside. When the haters see this guy in pads, they won't be hating for long. Trust me. I feel confident that Seattle just drafted one of the core pieces a championship team today.

Some people have NO IDEA how much more explosive this team has gotten this offseason, and the Seahawks still have 10 picks left in a loaded day 3. Michael is as explosive as it gets at RB. Ditto Harvin at WR. We added some major spark on defense too. This was already an explosive team. This is a freaking scary team, and it just got downright disgusting with Michael added, IMO.
Word.