At 62, Seattle selects: Christine Michael, RB Texas A&M

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I can dig it! The dude was super excited after meeting with us. Btw, Kearly nailed this in his mock. He also goes from one 12th man, to the better 12th man.

JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• With 2nd round pick, Seahawks select RB Christine Michael

Discuss in the draft forum
    http://www.seahawks.net/viewforum.php?f=29
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• I like it.

A lot.

This is the guy I thought we would take.

I wonder how Turbin feels about it.
    'The bevell is in the details.' -BFS
    jamsomatic
    NET Starter

• Here's what Christine Michael said about the Seahawks on Twitter after his recent visit:

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 2h
    Man these Seahawks got a boy wanted to go throw some pads on right now...solid team and great people... All business!

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 21m
    SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 1h
    @Earl_Thomas Fam udk how bad I wanna be apart of what y'all boys bout to go thru man... I can Learn from lynch cuz
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Wow.

Scratching my head but I have to admit he brings some speed and shifty running to a team full of power runners.

Still, this was a draft stuffed full of DTs, a position that is high value and hard to find fits in. Whereas RBs are like guitarists, you can find them all the time. Also, the playing lifespan of a RB is pretty low, so you don't even usually get that many years from even the good ones.

Seems a weird move, then again I was pulling for Allen and frankly WRs have one of the lowest success rates and longest time to productivity too.

But RB?

I am just going to have to go with the front office staff earned the benefit of the doubt based on previous successes but I am still perplexed by the choice.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

• Yup..speed.luxurypick
    zayden185
    NET Veteran

• What does this mean for Turbin or Robinson
    Last edited by nitticanuck on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    nitticanuck
    NET Bench Warmer

• jamsomatic wrote:I like it.

A lot.

This is the guy I thought we would take.

I wonder how Turbin feels about it.

I imagine he feels like he will learn and take over for m-rob, and that finally someone other rook to forget the pies...
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

• 5'10" 220
    4.43 40-9th ranked from combine
    43" vert-1st
    6.69 3 cone-1st
    27 reps-3rd
    4.02 shuttle-1st
    125" broad-2nd

This kid is a freak athlete.
    Last edited by polarbill1999 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

• Watching the video he looks really explosive off the line. But I have to wonder why the heck we are taking a running back, except as maybe a replacement for Leon. But I've promised myself I would never question Sneider/Carol again. So NICE PICK!
    Last edited by Shock2k on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• Shock2k wrote:Watching the video he looks really explosive off the line. But I have to wonder why the heck we are talking a running back, except as maybe a replacement for Leon. But I've promised myself I would never question Sneider/Carol again. So NICE PICK!

Because Pete loves to pound the rock!!! Plus, Lynch's back kind of worries me going forward.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• He can fit Leon Washington's role.

We're set at Running back for the next 10 years!
    Last edited by dumbrabbit on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Starter

• They mentioned he had "off the field problems", but we seem to love folks with off the field problems. Agian, good pick!
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• The Seahawks had no choice but to let Leon walk after trading for Harvin, but at a cheaper price they have someone who can take on his punt return duties and part-time kickoff duties from Harvin.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Dude's got some Madden moves...saw a couple spins and a hop...I told my friend we'd either draft R OL, run stuff DT or a backup to M Rob. Haven't had a chance to do any research on him yet, what is his "troubled past"? The tv guys said he might have slid because of it? He looks pretty fast and shifty and can stay on his feet.

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

• That makes sense. It also gives you an explosive/cutting/quick running back to compliment our two bruisers.
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• I know alot are disappointed with the RB pick. Frankly I love it after first getting over the shock. Remember PC whole program is built on competition. We always keep 3 RB's. I'd dare say this is the best RB crew in the entire NFL.

People keep asking what does this mean for Turbin? Absolutely nothing but good. These 3 will push each other to a higher level and should make for some great drama in training camp. I love Turbin, I love me some Beastmode. this new kid -- at least through his highlights is less a power back and more shifty then I would have thought with his size. To me Michael and Turbin are both similar. Both are very explosive and have a top gear Beastmode doesn't have.

I think this is a long-term pick that will pay immediate dividends in 2013.

Just think 2 years ago some of you wanted to sign that undrafted free agent RB who was severly limited as a player and just 3 years ago we had Forsett, Washington, and Julius Jones to start the season. The depth and talent has come A LONG way since then
    jlwaters1
    NET Veteran

• Different rounds, but considering this is our first pick, I think this guy is the Bruce Irvin this year. Not really many expected us to get him but can surprise quite the number of people.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Starter

• This is a pick with an eye towards the critical 2015 off-season when the Hawks will have a slew of elite players hitting free agency. To keep them they'll need every dime of cap space they can find, and Marshawn Lynch's contract (at then-age 29) will almost certainly have to go.
    NorthDallas40oz
    NET Veteran

• Best Player Available. Sure is nice to have that kind of luxury.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• ..........................for Pete Carroll/John Schneider/Paul Allen and the Seahawks,..........

...........he will be an incredible addition to the team.

But, this is a risky move (work ethics-wise).

I (sincerely) hope this man earns his way onto the team (learning from TWO great RB's), and proves EVERYONE wrong.

In Schneider/Carroll we trust.

Amen.
    Paschtorian
    NET Rookie

• dumbrabbit wrote:He can fit Leon Washington's role.

We're set at Running back for the next 10 years!

He is 220.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Read option...just got more Real scary.
    jake206
    NET Starter

• He reminds me of Adraian Peterson in that he seems to change his direction without slowing down. Could be good kick returner if necessary
    Aristotle22
    NET Starter

Eric Freakin' Dickerson! Who else??!!
Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:55 pm
  • Watching Christine Michael's Texas A&M highlights, I was thinking about different HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL NFL running backs from the past, and who does Michael remind me of? Physically, body type, etc., there are a lot of comparisons you can make.
    A few that come to mind...
    Earl Campbell... Not a bad comparison, but maybe the SECOND closest in my mind
    Barry Sanders... NO, just not that nifty
    Terrell Davis... NO, Michael is faster, but not a bad comparison.
    Emmett Smith... NO, Michael is faster, and just the styles seem different to me.
    Adrian Peterson.... Well, let's not get carried away here. AP is something special, coming back from ACL surgery.

When I saw Michael break through the line and hit WARP SPEED in a split second... I had flashbacks to Eric Dickerson. Yeah, Dickerson is taller, but that's who came to mind. Like a squatty, stocky Eric Dickerson, that's what his runs look like. He hits the crease, and he is just GONE. Watch Michael's highlights, and that 97 yard run in there... Dickerson-esque. Michael flat out EMBARRASSED the DB who was trying to chase him down. The DB realized he was going to have to really run, and TRIED to turn on the jets, but too late. You could see this on run after run, that he'd break through the line, find a crease, then hit WARP DRIVE, and suddenly he was 2 yards ahead of where other RB's would be, and instead of being tackled, he's PAST the defender.

Bear with me... not saying he'll have a career like Dickerson's; there's +/- injury, etc. But in terms of the player who his runs most resemble... to me it's Dickerson.

OK, so another player he absolutely runs like... Darren McFadden of the Ray-Duhs. Similar speed... McFadden had slightly better, downright FREAKISH 40 times, at 4.27 unofficial, 4.34 official. McFadden has had two seasons where he averaged 5 YARDS PER CARRY, though he got injured both seasons. Honestly, I haven't seen McFadden enough, except for the game a couple seasons ago where the Raiders manhandled us.
    But, here's YouTube where you could swap Michael and McFadden and not know which was which.
    McFadden 64 yard TD vs Steelers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EcEthv74Q
    McFadden torches Jaguars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9v-RmeOPTo
    McFadden highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9v-RmeOPTo

OK, so I first thought of Dickerson, but upon further review... Christine Michael = Darren Freakin' McFadden, reincarnated! Wait, McFadden's not dead. So a Darren McFadden clone.
    Darren McFadden talent on the last pick of the 2nd round... Nice work, Pete and John!

Makes me wonder if Tom Cable, with his time around McFadden at Oakland, had some input into the draft thinking, to go after Michael.
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• You guys are going to think I am nuts, but the first time I see this kid on the his highlights he reminds me of Barry Sanders. I just looked up his Heisman highlite season and they both run alike. I am not saying that Christine will be anything like Barry Sanders, but they sure run in the same stop and accelerate type of style, both very smooth and use good leverage.
    Waterhawk1
    NET Rookie

• This pick gained serious traction with me over the last couple weeks. The more I looked at our roster, the more I looked at the available talent, the more I looked for guys that fit with monster upside, Michael stuck out like a sore thumb. I was so happy to see Eddie Lacy fall, because I figured he'd fall on the sword for Michael when the Packers inevitably took a power RB right in front of us and sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

A week before the draft, I had Seattle taking Michael in the 4th round, because I thought he could last that long. But after hearing that he was being talked about in round 2 a few days before the draft, I started to seriously think of him as a 2nd round prospect and when I really thought it over, Michael was a more exciting and better pick in round 2 than anyone else, and I reflected that by having Seattle take Michael in the 2nd round during my final mock draft. It's the pick I expected Seattle to make, but it's also the pick I was hoping for by the very end. This pick got me up off my couch and firing off high fives. GREAT pick by Seattle. Reminds me of how I felt when they got Irvin and Wilson last year.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• kearly wrote:This pick gained serious traction with me over the last couple weeks. The more I looked at our roster, the more I looked at the available talent, the more I looked for guys that fit with monster upside, Michael stuck out like a sore thumb. I was so happy to see Eddie Lacy fall, because I figured he'd fall on the sword for Michael when the Packers inevitably took a power RB right in front of us and sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

A week before the draft, I had Seattle taking Michael in the 4th round, because I thought he could last that long. But after hearing that he was being talked about in round 2 a few days before the draft, I started to seriously think of him as a 2nd round prospect and when I really thought it over, Michael was a more exciting and better pick in round 2 than anyone else, and I reflected that by having Seattle take Michael in the 2nd round during my final mock draft. It's the pick I expected Seattle to make, but it's also the pick I was hoping for by the very end. This pick got me up off my couch and firing off high fives. GREAT pick by Seattle. Reminds me of how I felt when they got Irvin and Wilson last year.

You nailed it! You are the shiznit sir! Don't always agree with you on every point but you always make a good case for your arguement.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Plus if anyone forgot, Seattle has 10 (count em, ten) picks tomorrow.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• kearly wrote:This pick got me up off my couch and firing off high fives. GREAT pick by Seattle. Reminds me of how I felt when they got Irvin and Wilson last year.

That's how I felt too, except nothing could top Wilson last year. This ain't bad though.
    I think the closest talent analog is Darren McFadden, who I think was a top 5 pick a few years back.
    Getting that kind of talent in the last pick of the 2nd round... un-freakin-believable.
    And trading down to get a couple extra picks and still get the player they wanted... freakin' amazing!
    Steve2222 wrote: "I'm going to call a spade a spade. This is a 9 win team who is going to need luck getting into playoffs."
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

• I like how agile he looks in the open field, graceful and yet has a stiff arm. Great size and speed but needs coaching? Sign me up!

Love the idea of a running back in the second (first) round.
    Beeker
    NET Rookie

• I like this kid.. his running style is amazing as well. on top of that we gain 2 more picks this year, now tied with San Fran for most picks in the draft at 12.

Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day, no matter what the draft pundits want to rate it. Because the more intelligent fans know better by this point.
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie

• kearly wrote:This pick gained serious traction with me over the last couple weeks. The more I looked at our roster, the more I looked at the available talent, the more I looked for guys that fit with monster upside, Michael stuck out like a sore thumb. I was so happy to see Eddie Lacy fall, because I figured he'd fall on the sword for Michael when the Packers inevitably took a power RB right in front of us and sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

See, usually I am in agreement with you kearly, but for some reason I cannot get behind this pick this time around. I don't see how it fits as i don't see him taking plays away from Marshawn and Turbin. What am I missing? Help a brother out.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• it means we have three awesome running backs and will use christine,marshawn,and harvin in the ultra read option and power run the football down the throat of the forty niners! :twisted:
    osprey3263
    NET Bench Warmer

• Look at the play at 3:13. He plays FAST! That is really blazing speed right there, with power and jukes. Nice pick.
    Its good to not have big needs.

Claims to have had flu during the combine. Perhaps he could have run faster? His highlights seem to say he has that kind of speed.

This guy matches our scheme, one cut and go. MAD acceleration after a cut.
    Last edited by Sprfunk on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "When is the NFL going to start fining receivers for running routes across KAM’S MIDDLE?!?!"
    -bpup33
    Sprfunk
    NET Veteran

• Turbin was okay last year but I worried about him being able to step into Marshawn's boots if the need arose. I didn't see much beasting from him. This kid, runs low, elusive, spins off of solid contact, stiff arms, I feel a lot better about the RB situation with him in the fold.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Does Michael Robinson have anything to sweat about after this pick? I believe he is set to make like 3 mil this year, it might make sense to save some cap space. And yea I know real rob is a fullback, just thinking how the seahawks are going to get these weapons out on the field.
    edogg23
    NET Starter

• Blitzer88 wrote:
    kearly wrote:This pick gained serious traction with me over the last couple weeks. The more I looked at our roster, the more I looked at the available talent, the more I looked for guys that fit with monster upside, Michael stuck out like a sore thumb. I was so happy to see Eddie Lacy fall, because I figured he'd fall on the sword for Michael when the Packers inevitably took a power RB right in front of us and sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

See, usually I am in agreement with you kearly, but for some reason I cannot get behind this pick this time around. I don't see how it fits as i don't see him taking plays away from Marshawn and Turbin. What am I missing? Help a brother out.

Blitzer think about Pete and his days at USC, he loved to go running back by committee. This gives us the option of pounding away with Lynch and then keeping fresh legs coming in when need be. Also with Lynches back problems it gives us some more depth so we still have more then one option if ever need be. I think our run game just came up big, we are going to steam roll defenses. I love the pick.
    YaktownHawK
    NET Veteran

• Great feel for the position. Excellent burst. I can't see Turbin contributing anymore. I have to admit I would have rather picked a position where the player could have a shot to compete for major playing time without having to rely on injury to get it, but they did get a very good player. I wanted Arthur Brown, who the Ravens actually ended up drafting in our spot, but I'm excited to watch Michael play. Very likely is in the Shaun Alexander role when he was stuck behind Rickey Watters for a couple years.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• I see someone that will keep Harvin from returning all the punts, kick-offs
    Every team needs a third running back
    Starter / backup 2015
    Hopefully doesn't lead with the crown of the helmet :)

Best player available? I don't know but good teams should pick the best and not necessary most skilled.. I do think the move down states that they had several players ranked pretty equally...
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• I LOVE this guy!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Waterhawk1 wrote:You guys are going to think I am nuts, but the first time I see this kid on the his highlights he reminds me of Barry Sanders. I just looked up his Heisman highlite season and they both run alike. I am not saying that Christine will be anything like Barry Sanders, but they sure run in the same stop and accelerate type of style, both very smooth and use good leverage.

This and those compact frames and huge thighs.
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• I was thinking about a running back for the seahawks for a while now. I hope to god lynch does not go down this seaon, but atleast we have a one two punch to go in now. This is much better then last years situation as leon could'nt run out of formation for squat. I feel comfortable if lynchs back acts up for a couple weeks. That we have 2 backs that can carry the load.
    cockeyhawk
    NET Rookie

• His injuries and the benching after the turn-over of coaching staff has folks like Gil Brandt calling this a risky pick. I think it makes sense with how NFL teams tend to play their running backs nowadays. I remember wondering what the Saints were thinking when they picked a RB in the 1st round while already having 2 stud running backs.

Michael's highlight video had me thinking of Leon Washington returning punts that made the difference in several games, like the Patriots game. I understand Tate will now be the starting punt returner for now. I would like to see Christine takeover that job if he can handle it.

Getting Harvin was huge but having to cut Washington could be a big subtraction. Whether it works out or not, who knows. Not a draftnik so I cannot claim to have insights on whether the pick is worth the angst some have. I like it myself.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• I still remember the offense shutting down when Lynch got hurt for that 6-3 Browns game. The OL is better now and Turbin is a good backup but Michael has the potential to be a starter in this league. I don't think it's a bad idea to stockpile talent in this league, with rookie contracts being so valuable -- what's to stop us from trading Turbin if he has another solid year. I see the Jets gave up a draft pick for Chris Ivory.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• polarbill1999 wrote:5'10" 220
    4.43 40-9th ranked from combine
    43" vert-1st
    6.69 3 cone-1st
    27 reps-3rd
    4.02 shuttle-1st
    125" broad-2nd

This kid is a freak athlete.

K. Holy crap.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• Solid pick up. You guys have Lynch and Turbin, the bruisers, and now a little 5' 10'' scat back with some power. Reminds me of LaMichael James last year.

This is a luxury pick. You addressed the needs in free agency (Avril, Harvin and Bennet).

Some around here should trust the GM in SEA.
    Young2Rice
    NET Rookie

• Young2Rice wrote:Solid pick up. You guys have Lynch and Turbin, the bruisers, and now a little 5' 10'' scat back with some power. Reminds me of LaMichael James last year.

This is a luxury pick. You addressed the needs in free agency (Avril, Harvin and Bennet).

:thirishdrinkers:
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:
    Young2Rice wrote:Solid pick up. You guys have Lynch and Turbin, the bruisers, and now a little 5' 10'' scat back with some power. Reminds me of LaMichael James last year.

:thirishdrinkers:

I hate to say it but he could be #2 by the end of it.

Him plus Harvin.... ughh

This truly is an arms race because with him and Harvin, now we need speed at the edges, badly.
    Young2Rice
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information