At 62, Seattle selects: Christine Michael, RB Texas A&M

Paschtorian

Reaction score
..........................for Pete Carroll/John Schneider/Paul Allen and the Seahawks,..........

...........he will be an incredible addition to the team.

But, this is a risky move (work ethics-wise).

I (sincerely) hope this man earns his way onto the team (learning from TWO great RB's), and proves EVERYONE wrong.

In Schneider/Carroll we trust.

Amen.

Aristotle22

Reaction score
He reminds me of Adraian Peterson in that he seems to change his direction without slowing down. Could be good kick returner if necessary

olyfan63

Reaction score
Watching Christine Michael's Texas A&M highlights, I was thinking about different HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL NFL running backs from the past, and who does Michael remind me of? Physically, body type, etc., there are a lot of comparisons you can make.
A few that come to mind...
Earl Campbell... Not a bad comparison, but maybe the SECOND closest in my mind
Barry Sanders... NO, just not that nifty
Terrell Davis... NO, Michael is faster, but not a bad comparison.
Emmett Smith... NO, Michael is faster, and just the styles seem different to me.
Adrian Peterson.... Well, let's not get carried away here. AP is something special, coming back from ACL surgery.

When I saw Michael break through the line and hit WARP SPEED in a split second... I had flashbacks to Eric Dickerson. Yeah, Dickerson is taller, but that's who came to mind. Like a squatty, stocky Eric Dickerson, that's what his runs look like. He hits the crease, and he is just GONE. Watch Michael's highlights, and that 97 yard run in there... Dickerson-esque. Michael flat out EMBARRASSED the DB who was trying to chase him down. The DB realized he was going to have to really run, and TRIED to turn on the jets, but too late. You could see this on run after run, that he'd break through the line, find a crease, then hit WARP DRIVE, and suddenly he was 2 yards ahead of where other RB's would be, and instead of being tackled, he's PAST the defender.

Bear with me... not saying he'll have a career like Dickerson's; there's +/- injury, etc. But in terms of the player who his runs most resemble... to me it's Dickerson.

OK, so another player he absolutely runs like... Darren McFadden of the Ray-Duhs. Similar speed... McFadden had slightly better, downright FREAKISH 40 times, at 4.27 unofficial, 4.34 official. McFadden has had two seasons where he averaged 5 YARDS PER CARRY, though he got injured both seasons. Honestly, I haven't seen McFadden enough, except for the game a couple seasons ago where the Raiders manhandled us.
But, here's YouTube where you could swap Michael and McFadden and not know which was which.
McFadden 64 yard TD vs Steelers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1EcEthv74Q
McFadden torches Jaguars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9v-RmeOPTo
McFadden highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9v-RmeOPTo

OK, so I first thought of Dickerson, but upon further review... Christine Michael = Darren Freakin' McFadden, reincarnated! Wait, McFadden's not dead. So a Darren McFadden clone.
Darren McFadden talent on the last pick of the 2nd round... Nice work, Pete and John!

Makes me wonder if Tom Cable, with his time around McFadden at Oakland, had some input into the draft thinking, to go after Michael.

Waterhawk1

Reaction score
You guys are going to think I am nuts, but the first time I see this kid on the his highlights he reminds me of Barry Sanders. I just looked up his Heisman highlite season and they both run alike. I am not saying that Christine will be anything like Barry Sanders, but they sure run in the same stop and accelerate type of style, both very smooth and use good leverage.

kearly

Reaction score
This pick gained serious traction with me over the last couple weeks. The more I looked at our roster, the more I looked at the available talent, the more I looked for guys that fit with monster upside, Michael stuck out like a sore thumb. I was so happy to see Eddie Lacy fall, because I figured he'd fall on the sword for Michael when the Packers inevitably took a power RB right in front of us and sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

A week before the draft, I had Seattle taking Michael in the 4th round, because I thought he could last that long. But after hearing that he was being talked about in round 2 a few days before the draft, I started to seriously think of him as a 2nd round prospect and when I really thought it over, Michael was a more exciting and better pick in round 2 than anyone else, and I reflected that by having Seattle take Michael in the 2nd round during my final mock draft. It's the pick I expected Seattle to make, but it's also the pick I was hoping for by the very end. This pick got me up off my couch and firing off high fives. GREAT pick by Seattle. Reminds me of how I felt when they got Irvin and Wilson last year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kearly":23ats2v8 said:
This pick gained serious traction with me over the last couple weeks. The more I looked at our roster, the more I looked at the available talent, the more I looked for guys that fit with monster upside, Michael stuck out like a sore thumb. I was so happy to see Eddie Lacy fall, because I figured he'd fall on the sword for Michael when the Packers inevitably took a power RB right in front of us and sure enough, that's exactly what happened.

A week before the draft, I had Seattle taking Michael in the 4th round, because I thought he could last that long. But after hearing that he was being talked about in round 2 a few days before the draft, I started to seriously think of him as a 2nd round prospect and when I really thought it over, Michael was a more exciting and better pick in round 2 than anyone else, and I reflected that by having Seattle take Michael in the 2nd round during my final mock draft. It's the pick I expected Seattle to make, but it's also the pick I was hoping for by the very end. This pick got me up off my couch and firing off high fives. GREAT pick by Seattle. Reminds me of how I felt when they got Irvin and Wilson last year.
You nailed it! You are the shiznit sir! Don't always agree with you on every point but you always make a good case for your arguement.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kearly":1d6s4522 said:
This pick got me up off my couch and firing off high fives. GREAT pick by Seattle. Reminds me of how I felt when they got Irvin and Wilson last year.

That's how I felt too, except nothing could top Wilson last year. This ain't bad though.
I think the closest talent analog is Darren McFadden, who I think was a top 5 pick a few years back.
Getting that kind of talent in the last pick of the 2nd round... un-freakin-believable.
And trading down to get a couple extra picks and still get the player they wanted... freakin' amazing!

RufusPorter

Reaction score
I like how agile he looks in the open field, graceful and yet has a stiff arm. Great size and speed but needs coaching? Sign me up!

Love the idea of a running back in the second (first) round.

Teqneek

Reaction score
I like this kid.. his running style is amazing as well. on top of that we gain 2 more picks this year, now tied with San Fran for most picks in the draft at 12.

Tomorrow is going to be an exciting day, no matter what the draft pundits want to rate it. Because the more intelligent fans know better by this point.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
kearly":3pnctmmk said:

See, usually I am in agreement with you kearly, but for some reason I cannot get behind this pick this time around. I don't see how it fits as i don't see him taking plays away from Marshawn and Turbin. What am I missing? Help a brother out.

osprey3263

Reaction score
it means we have three awesome running backs and will use christine,marshawn,and harvin in the ultra read option and power run the football down the throat of the forty niners! :twisted:

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Look at the play at 3:13. He plays FAST! That is really blazing speed right there, with power and jukes. Nice pick.
Its good to not have big needs.

Claims to have had flu during the combine. Perhaps he could have run faster? His highlights seem to say he has that kind of speed.

This guy matches our scheme, one cut and go. MAD acceleration after a cut.

hawk45

Reaction score
Turbin was okay last year but I worried about him being able to step into Marshawn's boots if the need arose. I didn't see much beasting from him. This kid, runs low, elusive, spins off of solid contact, stiff arms, I feel a lot better about the RB situation with him in the fold.

edogg23

Reaction score
Does Michael Robinson have anything to sweat about after this pick? I believe he is set to make like 3 mil this year, it might make sense to save some cap space. And yea I know real rob is a fullback, just thinking how the seahawks are going to get these weapons out on the field.

YaktownHawK

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1rwfkqgi said:
kearly":1rwfkqgi said:

See, usually I am in agreement with you kearly, but for some reason I cannot get behind this pick this time around. I don't see how it fits as i don't see him taking plays away from Marshawn and Turbin. What am I missing? Help a brother out.

Blitzer think about Pete and his days at USC, he loved to go running back by committee. This gives us the option of pounding away with Lynch and then keeping fresh legs coming in when need be. Also with Lynches back problems it gives us some more depth so we still have more then one option if ever need be. I think our run game just came up big, we are going to steam roll defenses. I love the pick.

Tical21

Reaction score
Great feel for the position. Excellent burst. I can't see Turbin contributing anymore. I have to admit I would have rather picked a position where the player could have a shot to compete for major playing time without having to rely on injury to get it, but they did get a very good player. I wanted Arthur Brown, who the Ravens actually ended up drafting in our spot, but I'm excited to watch Michael play. Very likely is in the Shaun Alexander role when he was stuck behind Rickey Watters for a couple years.