Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Re: Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson
Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm
  • Yeah, but he'll change his tune bet on it. Besides college kids do stupid things it's part of the deal just ask Manti Teo.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:02 pm
  • Greenhell wrote:Anybody seen this tweet from the 4th string guy?

I imagine he meant it when he tweeted this two years ago (Dec 2011), when he was fresh out of Texas A&M and in no way related to the Seahawks. However, I imagine he'll have a new perspective on it now.

____________________________________________________________________________
    "When I became a man I put away childish things. Including the desire to be very grown up."
    ~C.S. Lewis
    HagFaithful
    NET Rookie

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:05 pm
  • Wonder how he'll back track on that? That is, should he make the team.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:17 pm
  • Nah, those A & M guys aways think our 12th man is a ripoff of their supposedly original version.

We can't help it if we simply do it better than them.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons.

What a special magical year!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:54 pm

I take it he is referring to the other 12th man want-to-be's in other cities ?
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:21 pm
  • He is refering to Texas A&M as the home of the original 12th man.

I have no doubt that big Red Bryant will straighten that out.
    Jville
    * NET Alumni *

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:51 am
  • LawlessHawk wrote:Interesting that he threw quite a few passes to #17 Tannehill in that highlight reel.

I was noticing that too... almost like a Ryan Tannehill receiver highlight reel.

I think Jerrod Johnson has the most Dangeruss-like skill set of the QB's we have around... like a taller, slower version.
    I totally agree with VedThree's points, good stuff, and we could be looking at the latest PC/JS brilliant find. Or he could wind up being a camp arm, and down the road before the end of August. If in fact the issue was health, and getting arm strength and confidence back, I'd bank more on being a pleasant surprise, and even the Seahawks BUQBOTF.

It looks like he had a decent camp with the Steelers and played well in exhibition games.
    I found this article also:
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... rlie-batch
    Basically they say Johnson has real potential, but wasn't a fit in a 3rd QB role for the Steelers, compared to former NFL starters Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. If Johnson ever saw the field, e.g., due to injuries in players ahead of him, he would be less prepared and higher risk as a fill-in than Batch or Garrard.

I think, philosophy-wise, Seattle is probably the best place for Johnson's self-interest in continuing to develop as a QB, and that Pete's "always compete" formula attracted another free agent who would have other offers. I think this is a guy the Seahawks try to keep around, and Josh Portis hits the road. Now, it's interesting, the same argument against Johnson as in Pittsburgh... would we REALLY be OK with him at #2 over Quinn, who has actual NFL starting experience, and being one play away from running the team?

And the 42% completions for his UFL team stat is dodgy... that was over a 3-game sample, with 3TD's to 1 INT. Maybe his receivers simply couldn't catch, maybe there was no opportunity for timing to develop with his receivers. I tend to look at the TD-to-INT ratio as my primary stat for QB quality. Look at his Junior year, I think it was, and it was 30 TD's to 8 INT's, plus a conference record of 240 or so passes without an INT. Obviously, though, he relies heavily on his arm strength, and when it's not there, the picks start cropping up in bunches.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:59 am

CUT HIM ! :lol:
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:29 pm

Who cares? I recall most of this board saying the exact same thing when the Redskins decided to put their 12th man sign up last year. Of course a Texas A&M players/fan is going to feel the same way..

As long as plays his tail off as a Seahawk, I could care less how he feels about the 12th man or anything else for that matter
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:38 pm
  • Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:02 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.

Yep, signing a former UDFA who has never made an NFL roster and barely completed 40% of his passes in the UFL, is going to ease any team that might have previously thought we weren't going to take a QB. To REALLY disguise that interest, we should bring back Derek Devine as well. Nobody would expect us to take a QB after that.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:08 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.

Yep, signing a former UDFA who has never made an NFL roster and barely completed 40% of his passes in the UFL, is going to ease any team that might have previously thought we weren't going to take a QB. To REALLY disguise that interest, we should bring back Derek Devine as well. Nobody would expect us to take a QB after that.

That line of reasoning doesn't really work because by that rationale we shouldn't have even signed him in the first place. Teams usually like to have four arms in camp. Seattle has met that threshold. Carrying only three tips the need to sign at least one more FA or pick up an arm somewhere in the draft.

Of course, my primary thinking is that they either really do have legitimate interest in kicking the tires with him or want a legitimate arm for the rookie mini-camp.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:15 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.

That line of reasoning doesn't really work because by that rationale we shouldn't have even signed him in the first place. Teams usually like to have four arms in camp. Seattle has met that threshold. Carrying only three tips the need to sign at least one more FA or pick up an arm somewhere in the draft.

Of course, my primary thinking is that they either really do have legitimate interest in kicking the tires with him or want a legitimate arm for the rookie mini-camp.

I can agree with your last sentence. I don't see this as being any different than the countless other backups we sign at this time of year; Johnson is a guy with some interesting physical tools, but is a super long shot to ever factor into anything on this team, and definitely won't factor into anything this team does with the draft in the next two days.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:26 pm

Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:28 pm

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:47 pm
  • Love this signing, and Jerrod Johnson is a legit competitor for backup QB. Physically, he's basically a slightly slower Colin Kaepernick. Question is, which is the REAL Jerrod Johnson? I'm betting that the real Jerrod Johnson is the 30TD, 8INT guy from 2009, the guy who BEAT OUT NFL 1st round pick, Miami Dolphins starting QB, Seahawks-killer Ryan Tannehill TWICE in open competition (or was it three times?)

Alright, enough talking crap about guys. It's money time. I got $1* that says Jerrod Johnson is in the employment of the Seattle Seahawks on opening day of the 2013 season, either on the 53-man roster, on the practice squad, or stashed on IR with a really bad hangnail. I think the preseason will be very entertaining with Quinn and Johnson as dueling gunslingers trying to win the backup job. Who sez I'm full of it and betting against me? PM me for a piece of the action.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:56 pm
  • This signing is even more intriguing to me now that the draft has come and gone. Seattle passed on a number of relatively big name QBs, including some they brought in for workouts. At the very least, this suggests Seattle considers him a better prospect than Matt Scott, right?
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:59 pm
  • Seattle had EVERY opportunity to draft Matt Scott and keep him from going elsewhere, with all their late-round picks. Their actions in the draft CLEARLY show that they value Jerrod Johnson higher than Matt Scott. I say they would have burned a 7th on him if they were that interested.
    olyfan63
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:43 am
  • olyfan63 wrote:Love this signing, and Jerrod Johnson is a legit competitor for backup QB. Physically, he's basically a slightly slower Colin Kaepernick. Question is, which is the REAL Jerrod Johnson? I'm betting that the real Jerrod Johnson is the 30TD, 8INT guy from 2009, the guy who BEAT OUT NFL 1st round pick, Miami Dolphins starting QB, Seahawks-killer Ryan Tannehill TWICE in open competition (or was it three times?)

Alright, enough talking crap about guys. It's money time. I got $1* that says Jerrod Johnson is in the employment of the Seattle Seahawks on opening day of the 2013 season, either on the 53-man roster, on the practice squad, or stashed on IR with a really bad hangnail. I think the preseason will be very entertaining with Quinn and Johnson as dueling gunslingers trying to win the backup job. Who sez I'm full of it and betting against me? PM me for a piece of the action.

Well, he's no David Green, but you might still be right.
    "I cannot believe this............ I am stunned right now. This is now a rebuilding year for us. Our offense is crap now"

Blitzer88 regarding trading Percy to the Jets
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:14 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information