Seahawks signed QB Jerrod Johnson

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Lets not over-analyze a training camp body until roster cut downs..sheeshhhh. We wont know much of anything until aug. 28th when the roster goes to 75, then we can start worrying about who sucks or who is a diamond in the rough.

ivotuk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":19xmv3ir said:
Hawkfan77":19xmv3ir said:
RobBaker7714409":19xmv3ir said:
This guy sucks. Probably just covering our a$$es in case an UDFA they're looking at gets drafted or signs somewhere else this weekend. Bet you $1 he doesn't make it to the initial cutdown to 75.

Ugh, I really thought the day with these types of posts were over...

I love this move, no risk but the reward could be huge.

I too was hoping that these type of posts were over and done with, but I guess that there are some that see themselves as a better talent evaluator than the Seahawks front office boys SMH.
Speaking frankly now, I'm hoping JJ has a re-awakening, and Wilson shows he and Quinn how to get back in their groove.
Johnson was an outstanding QB, that didn't get anywhere near the recognition or accolades he justly deserved.

Nothing personal, but you guys might want to lighten up a bit. I saw nowhere in his post where he indicated he is any kind of talent evaluator. Since you both have passed judgement on that post, I'd be curious to know what your opinion is based on.

Personally I think he makes a valid point, Johnson wasn't good in college, couldn't get drafted, couldn't stay on a roster when signed, and was a backup in the UFL. So it wouldn't be surprising if he didn't make the cut to 75.

Jville

Reaction score
Ncf u jjohnson1 576
Here is a link to a civil write up on Jerrod Johnson >>> [urltargetblank]http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013/4/24/4262936/seahawks-sign-qb-jerrod-johnson[/urltargetblank]

And here >>> [urltargetblank]http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/colleges/tamu/post/_/id/6857/former-tamu-qb-hoping-for-nfl-shot[/urltargetblank]
"I just really wanted to show them that I have a brand new throwing motion, it's completely different how the ball is spinning out of my hand, I'm throwing it strong and I can make every throw with ease and arm strength is one of my strengths, not one of my weaknesses," Johnson said.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
ivotuk":287hygk5 said:
Personally I think he makes a valid point, Johnson wasn't good in college,

I didn't watch him play, but he was apparently a dark horse candidate for the Heisman his junior year, started ahead of Tannehill and put up better numbers his junior year than Tannehill did in his senior year. He injured his shoulder, lost the velocity on his throws and the rest is history. I do agree that there is a huge probability that he's a camp arm and nothing more, but there did actually seem to be a time when he looked like a legitimate pro QB prospect. If the velocity on his ball is back, seems like it's worth taking a look.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
ivotuk":1hoymbzr said:
Personally I think he makes a valid point, Johnson wasn't good in college...

He was actually quite good in college. He's currently the Texas A&M career leader in passing yards and total offense, records that Johnny Manziel will probably break. Second-team, All Big-12 in 2009...he went 296 of 497 for 3,579 yds, 30 TDs, and 8 Ints. He also rushed 145 times for 506 yards and eight TDs.

He entered the 2010 season as the Preseason Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year and a rumored Heismann contender. However, he had shoulder surgery before his 2010 season, struggled, was replaced by Ryan Tannehill, went undrafted, and hasn't "rebounded" or latched on to an NFL roster since, although he had stints with the Eagles and Steelers.

Does anybody know if we worked him out prior? (I'm assuming we did.) If his accuracy and delivery/motion have improved, he could be a legitimate contender for the #2.

Jville

Reaction score
Johnson threw at this year's A&M pro day work out.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Throwdown":2y5dfpiz said:
JSeahawks":2y5dfpiz said:
Can't be any worse then Portis, right Throwdown?

How dumb are you gonna feel when Mr. Portis wins the back up job though?

They're both awful.

Brady Quinn stinks too. I still think we draft someone this weekend.

vedthree

Reaction score
HagFaithful":r3b4wena said:
Does anybody know if we worked him out prior? (I'm assuming we did.) If his accuracy and delivery/motion have improved, he could be a legitimate contender for the #2.

I didn't hear anything about a private workout, so I'm guessing they were impressed with what they saw at the A&M Pro Day.

Like another poster said before, I like this signing because it shows how the FO leaves no stone unturned. It's the equivalent of using your pocket change to buy a scratch lotto ticket or digging a powerball slip out of the trash ... I also really like the strategy of using late-round picks and UDFA's to "buy low" on guys who were standouts early in college but were derailed because of injuries or other forms of bad luck. Even though teams invest so much in scouting it's still possible for those guys to slip through the cracks (and probably more common than we think)

Take Johnson (or any guy in a similar situation) who suffers a lingering injury that can take 1-2 seasons to fully heal ... if it effects your combine & shrine game performances your draft stock will suffer. And if you wind up being a late rounder or UDFA, the road to stick becomes that much tougher. You basically have to prove yourself completely ready that first camp - you don't get the benefit of the doubt or time to develop like 1st-4th round picks. And if you find yourself on the outside after that first year, it's exponentially tougher to get back in because a majority of teams are simply going to write you off and move on to the next crop of rookies.

I just think Johnson is such an intriguing project - age/size/speed/skillset, he's a clone of Ryan Tannehill. He was an intelligent, high character, team leader type of guy and played in a pro-style WCO rooted Mike Sherman offense. In 3 open competitions he stayed ahead of Tannehill on the depth chart, and in his healthy Junior year, with basically the same coaches, system & supporting cast he put up better performances than Tannehill.

But something like a serious or lingering shoulder injury can have devastating results - especially when a guy was still a work in progress anyways. Mechanics fall apart, can't physically make certain throws, confidence & decision making suffers - it can be a swift implosion. But instead of being able to work through it, Johnson got benched while his confidence & mechanics were broken (and probably still injured, too) So now he's on the NFL fringe, while the guy that he was arguably better or at least equal to in college is the 8th overall pick.

I'm burning a lot of works talking about a 4th string camp QB, but honestly Johnson excites me more than any of the back-ups on the roster and most of the late round prospects that were available in this draft. Heck, I really wanted the team to take a flyer on him back in '11 to throw into the T-Jack/Whitehurst mix, so I think it's cool he's now actually on the roster. There's a lot of "if's" in his case - but, IF his arm strength is back and IF his mechanics have made a big leap, then I really think he could be a huge sleeper for us.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Anybody seen this tweet from the 4th string guy?

305788_654008041280976_1494764177_n.jpg

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Yeah, but he'll change his tune bet on it. Besides college kids do stupid things it's part of the deal just ask Manti Teo.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Greenhell":edd1neel said:

I imagine he meant it when he tweeted this two years ago (Dec 2011), when he was fresh out of Texas A&M and in no way related to the Seahawks. However, I imagine he'll have a new perspective on it now.

Greenhell

Reaction score
Wonder how he'll back track on that? That is, should he make the team.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Nah, those A & M guys aways think our 12th man is a ripoff of their supposedly original version.

We can't help it if we simply do it better than them.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Greenhell":27yh9q7h said:

I take it he is referring to the other 12th man want-to-be's in other cities ?

Jville

Reaction score
He is refering to Texas A&M as the home of the original 12th man.

I have no doubt that big Red Bryant will straighten that out.

olyfan63

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":2tjt36ri said:
Interesting that he threw quite a few passes to #17 Tannehill in that highlight reel.
I was noticing that too... almost like a Ryan Tannehill receiver highlight reel.

I think Jerrod Johnson has the most Dangeruss-like skill set of the QB's we have around... like a taller, slower version.
I totally agree with VedThree's points, good stuff, and we could be looking at the latest PC/JS brilliant find. Or he could wind up being a camp arm, and down the road before the end of August. If in fact the issue was health, and getting arm strength and confidence back, I'd bank more on being a pleasant surprise, and even the Seahawks BUQBOTF.

It looks like he had a decent camp with the Steelers and played well in exhibition games.
I found this article also:
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... rlie-batch
Basically they say Johnson has real potential, but wasn't a fit in a 3rd QB role for the Steelers, compared to former NFL starters Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich. If Johnson ever saw the field, e.g., due to injuries in players ahead of him, he would be less prepared and higher risk as a fill-in than Batch or Garrard.

I think, philosophy-wise, Seattle is probably the best place for Johnson's self-interest in continuing to develop as a QB, and that Pete's "always compete" formula attracted another free agent who would have other offers. I think this is a guy the Seahawks try to keep around, and Josh Portis hits the road. Now, it's interesting, the same argument against Johnson as in Pittsburgh... would we REALLY be OK with him at #2 over Quinn, who has actual NFL starting experience, and being one play away from running the team?

And the 42% completions for his UFL team stat is dodgy... that was over a 3-game sample, with 3TD's to 1 INT. Maybe his receivers simply couldn't catch, maybe there was no opportunity for timing to develop with his receivers. I tend to look at the TD-to-INT ratio as my primary stat for QB quality. Look at his Junior year, I think it was, and it was 30 TD's to 8 INT's, plus a conference record of 240 or so passes without an INT. Obviously, though, he relies heavily on his arm strength, and when it's not there, the picks start cropping up in bunches.

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Greenhell":3s3xh8el said:

Who cares? I recall most of this board saying the exact same thing when the Redskins decided to put their 12th man sign up last year. Of course a Texas A&M players/fan is going to feel the same way..

As long as plays his tail off as a Seahawk, I could care less how he feels about the 12th man or anything else for that matter

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Would be interesting if this signing was just a smokescreen to disguise their interest in a QB in the draft.