Ebay seller - BS or no?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
Ebay seller - BS or no?
Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:12 pm
  • I bought an audio interface for my computer last friday and I had been wondering why it hadn't shipped. Got an email today stating this:

eBay oversold our inventory. Occasionally eBay allows too many orders for the same product to go through. In this case, the item sold faster than eBay could track the inventory.
    We will receive a re-stock order from Focusrite next week. Please let us know if you will be able to wait.

Doing a quick search for the item I see that they still have 4 listed. I don't get it...should I cancel the whole transaction? Is this seller telling the truth? Does that really happen?
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Re: Ebay seller - BS or no?
Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:32 pm
  • BS. I used to sell on eBay, I was in charge of all my orders. If I sold too many of them, it was MY fault, not eBays. That seller is full of crap. What likely happened, is that they are drop shippers and the wholesale store they send their orders to ran out of product, so your seller has to wait for them to get more product before they can then send your order to the store that will ship it to you.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:14 am
  • That's why I don't do business with ebay anymore. In the past days you had an item to sell and you sold it and that was that. You dealt with a person.

Now most of the posts are like this. Someone who neither makes nor owns any product is just a middle man for some manufacturer.

I took a chance several years ago on a complete 5 years set of DVDs from Babylon 5. Got them but only about 75% of the shows worked. But since it was a Chinese manufacturer ebay just said "sorry" they are gone now nothing we can do. A wasted couple of hundred bucks.

Now I just stay away from them and anyone who deals with them better be aware its kind of like shopping at Target by mail so they can ignore you completely.

:roll:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am
  • eBay was fun when it was new and you could get decent deals, now it's just businesses and most things are above retail prices when shipping is included. What really irritates me is searching for something and you have to look through 500 auctions from the same person all selling the same crappy item.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:04 pm
  • eBay used to be cool, but in 2007 Meg Whitman (sp?) left as CEO to do politics, and some idiot took over. Well, the new idiot decided eBay needed to be more like Amazon, so they began increasing fees and narrowing sellers marginns, they started focusing on BIN auctions, and so on.

I had a hydroponics business for about 5 years, but 2007-2010 killed me and eBay was a big part of it's downfall. For example, on ballasts, my average profit margin went from approx $30 per sale to around $5 per sale after the idiot took over eBay and changed everything.

He literally ran me out of business.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:09 pm
  • I don't use ebay anymore because they require paypal...no sir.
    Probably not BS; as in you'll eventually get your item; but like MLO said, probably a middleman drop-shipper.

-SH
    SmokeyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:41 pm
  • SmokeyHawk wrote:I don't use ebay anymore because they require paypal...no sir.
    Probably not BS; as in you'll eventually get your item; but like MLO said, probably a middleman drop-shipper.

-SH

Did you know that ebay bought out pay-pal several years ago? That's when it started to turn to shit. They now can charge both seller and buyer a transaction fee. For the small potatoes things we used to do it forced you to price yourself out of existance or stop selling.

Toward the end of the wife and I's program I sold a very rare propane lantern not made by Coleman. Damned if I can remember the name right now. Originally the buyer (from Japan) never sent the money after an extended battle over it with 3 different people.

I found it still in the basement 2 months later and realized I'd been stiffed so complained to ebay and they basically said what they always do,"you kids work it out and leave us out of it." What I've found with them is they will fight to the death if it makes 2 cents for them but could care less about you.

Now we're talking about $75 here, not a world changer. So I sent a nasty email to the buyer in Toyoko and really bitched him out because I could have got my money from one of the other two and now would have to pay selling costs again.

In 24 hours I get an answer, apologizing all over himself and asked for an accounting so he could send me a check. It worked out to less than $100 even with half a world freight and he sent me a cashiers check drawn on my own bank and I shipped it to him.

Imagine my surprise when a week later pay-pal contacts me asking for their 3%. I said "your 3% for what? I did all the work and it was a person to person deal. They insisted since it was done on ebay I had to pay them their "cut". Now remember all this happened in advance of ebay taking over pay-pal so it didn't even apply. I told them to piss off and after a bit of whining introduced them to one of my son in laws, you know, the attorney one.

4 months later I late bid on a ceramic teapot someone contacted me about. I learned quite a lot about teapots and pickle crocks in my years of doing this. Purchased it for a friend, it was worth about $750 and they had a buy it now deal for $50. Turned out to be in Cheney, 16 miles away. Hell I drove out to Cheney, met the guy, gave him his $50 and went away happy. He tried to clear the deal at ebay and they had a cow because he hadn't gone through them for the money.

Turns out they have this deal about short distances so what we did was ok and he only had to pay his normal selling fee. When they found out it was me they had the nerve to ask me again for their "cut". The guy got really pissed at me when I started laughing on the phone. So I'm guessing I'm not popular at that place anymore.

Now when I know someone that wants ceramic stuff I have them contact this friend of mine who lives in Red Wing, Minnesota and if you know anything about ceramics and/or teapots you've heard that name. lol

:th2thumbs:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information