Browns owner

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
Browns owner
Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 pm
  • Evidently Haslam is under investigation for fraud.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... -for-fraud

This is funny, and yet sad at the same time. I don't think that franchise will ever get a break.
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Browns owner
Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 am
  • Evidently, their chain of truck stops offers a rebate program for fuel purchases as a way of getting more business. They had meetings where ways for their salesmen to screw the less smart out of their rebates were on the agenda. The salesmen and company both profited from this. Apparently, two informants were at meetings where this was discussed in front of Haslem.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:07 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Evidently, their chain of truck stops offers a rebate program for fuel purchases as a way of getting more business. They had meetings where ways for their salesmen to screw the less smart out of their rebates were on the agenda. The salesmen and company both profited from this. Apparently, two informants were at meetings where this was discussed in front of Haslem.

Thats it? Really? It felt more like a cooking the books thing.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:37 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Evidently, their chain of truck stops offers a rebate program for fuel purchases as a way of getting more business. They had meetings where ways for their salesmen to screw the less smart out of their rebates were on the agenda. The salesmen and company both profited from this. Apparently, two informants were at meetings where this was discussed in front of Haslem.

Thats it? Really? It felt more like a cooking the books thing.

Nope. Fraud investigation.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:41 am
  • Haslam may be able to worm out of that one then.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:03 am
  • pehawk wrote:Haslam may be able to worm out of that one then.

I would think so.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:11 am
  • There has to be a bit more to it. Their offices we're overrun by agents, at least that's what I read. And, I thought I read the IRS was involved too. There's either more, or Haslam's kind of a dick to the wrong people.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:15 am
  • pehawk wrote:There has to be a bit more to it. Their offices we're overrun by agents, at least that's what I read. And, I thought I read the IRS was involved too. There's either more, or Haslam's kind of a dick to the wrong people.

Haslem's bro is the governor of Tennessee, IIRC. Who knows what the political implications of this could be, and if that has something to do with the whole shebang.

What I understood was that the massive number of agents was to put the place on electronic lockdown from the go. No shredding, no files erased. I hadn't heard about the IRS.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:27 am
  • I wonder if Roger will be as aggressive disciplining an owner as he does players? Especially a guy like Haslem, who's been within NFL circles for awhile.

I feel bad for Browns fans.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:43 am
  • Haslem is tight with the Rooneys. It will take some bad shit for Roger to cut ties with Haslem.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Haslem is tight with the Rooneys. It will take some bad shit for Roger to cut ties with Haslem.

Yeah, I know. It'll give more evidence that Roger's a hypocritical douche.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:53 am
  • pehawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Haslem is tight with the Rooneys. It will take some bad shit for Roger to cut ties with Haslem.

Yeah, I know. It'll give more evidence that Roger's a hypocritical douche.

As if we need more evidence for that. I agree with you guys that Haslam will probably get out of this. Also, this just in:

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... -step-down

Good job Goodell, now go eliminate kickoffs or something...
    Zebulon Dak wrote:If any Twitter employees get assassinated I'll vote Republican from here on out.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:09 pm
  • I heard that the IRS raided the Browns too, but found absolutely nothing of value there...
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:22 pm
  • That team is cursed.
    RIP Les. We will miss you.
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *

Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:45 pm
  • From one article I read the thinking is Haslam could get time.

I know people think Haslam will be protected, I think the opposite. The FBI and the IRS don't want the small potatoes guys. They don't even want the president. Sure they will get what is coming, but the feds want the big fish. They don't put on their good clothes to beat up on the weaklings. They want Haslam. Read the report, anytime Haslam is even remotely named, it is highlighted and focused on. He is target number one.

How can they do it? Haslam has been implicated on five different counts, by different people. If there is an e-mail to Haslam showing an improper rebate, which seems like an when sort of thing, not an if at this point, he is cooked. Let's assume he cleared that out like pwanda's internet history (which I give a 0.0000003% chance of happening).

Freeman, who seems to this non-lawyered eye, has the most to lose. He seems to be the focus of the investigation. Maybe most importantly for Browns fans, he obviously had plenty of open dialog with Haslam, and is the one who puts Haslam right in the FBI cross hairs with his plane story. I'm guessing Freeman will be offered some sort of deal.

In regards to the NFL and Haslam keep this in mind

The NFL suspended Eddie DeBartlo Jr. for a year after he was caught up in a scheme to get a gambling license for a boat. He later was forced to sell the team to his sister. That was for extortion of $400,000. If the accusations are proven to be true, and they look pretty solid right now, that is a literally a fraction of what Haslam was stealing in a month.

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2013/4/19/4241314/jimmy-haslam-the-fbi-the-158-pages-that-will-cost-him-the-browns
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:12 am
  • Interesting stuff DrDiags, this situation could turn rather interesting.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:10 am
  • I heard Clayton metion the other day "well, notjing will happen because Haslem's presumed innocent..." I wanted to wring his neck. Roger doesn't wait for the players due process, why would this be any different?

I'm with my favorite mod here, sadhappy, cursed indeed. I have a strong sympathy for that franchise. I hope they turn it around, despite their owner.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:26 pm
  • pehawk wrote:I heard Clayton metion the other day "well, notjing will happen because Haslem's presumed innocent..." I wanted to wring his neck. Roger doesn't wait for the players due process, why would this be any different?

I'm with my favorite mod here, sadhappy, cursed indeed. I have a strong sympathy for that franchise. I hope they turn it around, despite their owner.

Roger doesn't work for the players. Duh.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:48 pm
  • pehawk wrote:There has to be a bit more to it. Their offices we're overrun by agents, at least that's what I read. And, I thought I read the IRS was involved too. There's either more, or Haslam's kind of a dick to the wrong people.

This isn't caching in in $0.10 at the pump for one customer kind of fraud. This is wholesale discounts not given out - one company supposedly $450k plus per month for 6 years. Add a few more companies to that, add a system in place, add interstate commerce and the FBI shows up and you get sentenced in federal court.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:30 am
  • And now a class action lawsuit is in the mix. As stated earlier, the Browns are cursed.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/ ... on-lawsuit
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:32 am
  • sadhappy wrote:That team is cursed.

Hell of a lot more evidence for this than there is for the Madden Curse, that's for sure. Starting to feel truly sorry for Browns fans. Especially since they just got to watch their former team win another Super Bowl without them.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:49 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    sadhappy wrote:That team is cursed.

Hell of a lot more evidence for this than there is for the Madden Curse, that's for sure. Starting to feel truly sorry for Browns fans. Especially since they just got to watch their former team win another Super Bowl without them.

That and they live in Cleveland, Ohio :twisted:
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 am
  • kidhawk wrote:That and they live in Cleveland, Ohio :twisted:

Sorry Kid, but that joke doesn't work when one's location reads "Anchorage, AK".
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:27 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    kidhawk wrote:That and they live in Cleveland, Ohio :twisted:

Sorry Kid, but that joke doesn't work when one's location reads "Anchorage, AK".

:177692:
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:30 pm
    Forty9ers
    NET Bench Warmer

Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:48 pm
  • First, Forty9ers, THANK YOU FOR POSTING IN A NON-49ER RELATED TOPIC. We need more of that from 49er fans. Second, Noah's always bothered me...until now.

Thats great stuff.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:31 am

Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 am
  • LOL!
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:47 pm