Seahawks Salary Information (updated with Kam's details)

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Cap space before Flynn trade: $6,839,008 (per NFL.Com)

PLUS his previous cap value: $7,250,000
MINUS his new dead cap: $4,000,000
MINUS new salary in top 51: 480,000

EQUALS new Seahawks available cap: $9,534,008

mikeak

Reaction score
Shouldn't dead cap be $4million? Looks like you used 4 when you ran the numbers but typed 2

Just a note - not to debate at all it goes elsewhere. The Flynn move also freed up $8.25 million from the roster for next year. Many people said he would have been cut well in that case it moved $4million out of next years available cap.

Freed up lots of cash - wonder what we will use the $9 million for. I suspect Kam and rolling some money over for Sherman

A London Hawk

Reaction score
We've still got rookies and the extra from going from top 51 to full 53 to come out. I'm guessing about 7mil overall for Kam and rollover?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
A London Hawk":3chhghdg said:
We've still got rookies and the extra from going from top 51 to full 53 to come out. I'm guessing about 7mil overall for Kam and rollover?

I wouldn't really worry about the rookies too much. Without a first rounder, a lot of the rookies will have very reasonable contracts, and many will take less cap than some of the people they bump off. So since everyone on our 51 man roster is making at LEAST $480,000, you can see that after the 2nd round, the numbers are pretty negligible and can be managed to have little to no impact on our actual cap numbers.

Examples of first year cap hits from 2012 rookies

2nd Round - Wagner $783,236

3rd Round - Russell Wilson $544,800

4th Round - Robert Turnbin $504,000

4th Round - Jaye Howard $498,716

5th Round - Korey Toomer $405,000

6th Round - Jeremey Lane $421,278

6th Round - Winston Guy $320,015

7th Round - Jeremey Sweezey $403,988

7th Round - Greg Scruggs $404,273

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
A London Hawk":2p5fp45z said:
There's still the jump from top 51 to 53 plus PUP though?

By the time we have to worry about the regular season totals, we will likely have changed the roster and probably cut a few guys and will change enough capwise that it does no real good to try to figure that in at the moment. I'd just stick with the numbers Hawkstorian put in and figure maybe another half million to deal with the first couple of rookies in the draft. The rest will settle itself when we make our final roster cutdowns.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
I've never heard of this "jump" thing? Can someone explain that please?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":3kdsnvvc said:

In the offseason, rosters are expanded, but only the top 51 salaries count against the salary cap. Once the pre season ends and teams make their final cut down, then all players on the roster are counted against the cap. Currently numbers 52 and 53 count $480,000 against the cap each, so that perceived jump would be just under $1 million. In reality though, there are often a few cuts from the top 51, so when you do add the bottom extra two, it often doesn't realize much of a change in the actual cap. This is solely dependent upon what players actually make the roster and is impossible to know until cuts are made.

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
kidhawk":3t9e0i0n said:
Stoned Cold":3t9e0i0n said:

In the offseason, rosters are expanded, but only the top 51 salaries count against the salary cap. Once the pre season ends and teams make their final cut down, then all players on the roster are counted against the cap. Currently numbers 52 and 53 count $480,000 against the cap each, so that perceived jump would be just under $1 million. In reality though, there are often a few cuts from the top 51, so when you do add the bottom extra two, it often doesn't realize much of a change in the actual cap. This is solely dependent upon what players actually make the roster and is impossible to know until cuts are made.

I see, thanks. Sounds like its a pretty defined number. Basically 1 million. Also, I guess if you cut a higher priced veteran like we did last year with Kellen Winslow Jr. during final cuts than its not even something to be concerned with.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":x10xdf3s said:
I see, thanks. Sounds like its a pretty defined number. Basically 1 million. Also, I guess if you cut a higher priced veteran like we did last year with Kellen Winslow Jr. during final cuts than its not even something to be concerned with.

It's not necessarily that defined, I just used the next two on the list of highest priced players on our roster currently. Those "last two" could be 7th round rookies who's total may only be minimums and between them add up to Half a million. You could feasibly have more cap room after cutting one veteran and adding 1 rookie, then the additional 2 rookies for the season size cap roster of 53 instead of 51.

Basically it's way to convoluted to even hazard a guess until we see what cuts the team decides on.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
According to overthecap.com Tony McDaniel signed a vet minimum deal for $850K plus a $50K signing bonus. This contract qualified for the minimum salary reduction so his cap number is only $605K. This contract has little impact on our overall cap space.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Tony McDaniel&Position=DT&Team=Seahawks

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":8uy6m99c said:
According to overthecap.com Tony McDaniel signed a vet minimum deal for $850K plus a $50K signing bonus. This contract qualified for the minimum salary reduction so his cap number is only $605K. This contract has little impact on our overall cap space.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Tony McDaniel&Position=DT&Team=Seahawks

I'm guessing that is also why Quinn's contract is only counting as $620,000 even though he signed a $780,000 deal

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like Winfield's contract has a lot of clauses in it to make it more of a pay for play type of deal.

[urltargetblank]http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Antoine_Winfiels_contract_in_Seattle_tied_heavily_to_performance041813[/urltargetblank]

This is how the deal breaks down according to the link:

$500,000 Signing Bonus (guaranteed money)

$1,000,000 Base Salary ($500,000 guaranteed)

So far this puts him at 1 million in guaranteed money if he doesn't make it out of camp.

Assuming he makes it past pre season, we'd then have to guarantee the rest of his base salary and he also has incentives as listed below:

$31,250 per game he is active, which is $500,000 if he is active for every game.

$1,000,000 in "not likely to be earned" incentives, based on interceptions and playing time.

The article doesn't go into what the interceptions and playing time incentives are, so I can't really say whether he really may make those incentives. Assuming he plays for the whole season, this deal could be as little as $2 million or as much as $3 million.

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty good deal for us. $2 million to upgrade the slot CB position, with where we are at in our cap, is a pretty good bargain, and if he were to make the incentives to push it to $3 million, we'd have to assume he played better than expected.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Looks like details for Kam's contract are out and they look pretty good.

[urltargetblank]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/breaking-down-darrelle-revis-kam-chancellor-contracts-145100917--nfl.html[/urltargetblank]

As reported, he received a four year extension and here's how it breaks down

2013 he gets a $5 million signing bonus and his $1,323,000.000 salary was bumped to $2,852,500.00

This is a net increase in base of $1,529,500.00 for this season

in 2014 his base salary is $4,725,000.000 which is guaranteed for injury, and becomes guaranteed fully if he's still on the roster 5 days after the Superbowl

In 2015 his base salary is $4,550,000.00 which has the same guarantees as the 2014 salary except for some reason $4,450,000.00 is all the injury guarantee is good for. The roster guarantee is still the full Base salary.

From what I can tell the final two years have no guarantees

2016 base salary is $5,100,000.00

2017 he has a base salary of $6,800,000.00 plus an active roster bonus of $20,313.00 per game in which he is active.

According to the article it leave us approximately $4,698,000.00 in current cap space, which seems fairly close to where I was thinking we were right now. Still not sure what Hauschka's deal was though.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1bhjt28i said:
Hauschka got 715K, unclear guaranteed cash, according to https://twitter.com/Curtis_Crabtree/sta ... 7203638272

Thanks. I didn't figure his contract would be very high nor does it change the cap by much. There's really only a few hundred thousand difference between his number and Wiggs' number and should still leave us with somewhere around $4.5 million in space. More than enough to accommodate the rookies, especially since we won't be having to shell out any 1st round money.