What If: Elway in Seattle

SirTed

Reaction score
Beeker49":1g9h4182 said:
Um, same results? No SB wins? *awaits hammering*

Bwhahaha!

Good one, dude. Really. Laughed out loud here. I appreciate what you did there.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

drdiags

Reaction score
It's all good. I see it as Beeker just joking around with his new buds but some not feeling he is part of the in crowd yet. I get that. I wasn't that pissed about his comment but did want to take a chance to make sure he and we understood we are trying to be a more productive football conversationalist and not a one-upmanship.

This was a what-if scenario and a fun topic for those who followed this team for a long time. Beekers could have passed on it. He chose to have a little fun. No harm but you know as well as I do when the bullets start to fly, having a reasonable judgement of when to take it there for a little fun versus devolving the forum into locked/moved topics is going to be based on what we establish now with our newly invited/joined members.

I support you guys and will not speak up again on matters that are controlled by you guys. I will just keep my mouth shut. But I know there will be those who are going to react bitterly to fans they think have crossed a line. I say just make it worth the angst. Or we can grow up and not call for our mommies all the time. I will try getting weaned ... smile.

Have a good day. And Beeker. Good one. Ha ha ...

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I agree with the Niner.

Just cause he says he would have enjoyed playing here doesn't mean anything. It's called being diplomatic. Hell he took a lot of flack for what he did to Indy.

1. He's an unlikeable jerk.

2. He's looks like a Bronco, literally.

3. He'd be running the team now. Instead of PC/JS/Allen, we'd have the fools that drafted Tebow.

4. He had to juice up with PEDs just to win his Superbowls. And the NFL wouldn't have waited to ban Elway's Creatine until after his retirement if he played for the Seahawks.

We're lucky we have Wilson. I have a feeling he'll prove that 37 years was worth the wait.

themunn

Reaction score
drdiags":2imxreci said:
You may not be a bad guy Beeker but was the shot necessary? I guess a wolf just cannot hide its intentions. Smack shack my good man, smack shack.

It's more of a shot at Elway than it is at Seattle anyway. big game choker, the Peyton Manning of the 80s/90s.
Sure he finally got his ring(s) (as did Peyton), but way less than he should have considering the team he had.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Just watched it.. I can't believe how freaking stupid Irsay was..

And why did we pass on Dickerson for Warner again?

Oh well.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lady Talon":uy5su7hm said:
I agree with the Niner.

Just cause he says he would have enjoyed playing here doesn't mean anything. It's called being diplomatic. Hell he took a lot of flack for what he did to Indy.

3. He'd be running the team now. Instead of PC/JS/Allen, we'd have the fools that drafted Tebow.

4. He had to juice up with PEDs just to win his Superbowls. And the NFL wouldn't have waited to ban Elway's Creatine until after his retirement if he played for the Seahawks.

We're lucky we have Wilson. I have a feeling he'll prove that 37 years was worth the wait.

:lol:

What?

All of these statements are ridiculous. Especially 3 and 4.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I think a dose of self honesty is in order here. I read the Niner post without looking at who posted it and thought nothing of it. When people jumped on him, I went back and looked and saw it was a Niner fan. Then I found myself agreeing that the post was snarky, but not until I knew it was a Niner fan that posted it.

Radish is right. It wasn't offensive. I didn't think it was offensive. When I saw it was a Niner fan I was offended. Let's face it, had it not been a Niner fan saying it, no one would have gave two tits on a rats behind. It wasn't offensive in and of itself and we should let that one go due to the nature of the OP's question.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2fu3348r said:
Lady Talon":2fu3348r said:
I agree with the Niner.

What?

3 maybe. But #4, I remember very well the Creatine controversy. Players were calling it to be banned even before Elway became it's poster child. Only took 2 years of Super Bowl wins and a retirement before the NFL finally got around to banning it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/24/s...nfl-is-uneasy-about-diet-supplements-use.html

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Lady Talon":2qru9px6 said:
Hasselbeck":2qru9px6 said:
Lady Talon":2qru9px6 said:
I agree with the Niner.

What?

3 maybe. But #4, I remember very well the Creatine controversy. Players were calling it to be banned even before Elway became it's poster child. Only took 2 years of Super Bowl wins and a retirement before the NFL finally got around to banning it.

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/24/s...nfl-is-uneasy-about-diet-supplements-use.html

Not to nitpick but, creatine is not a banned substance by the NFL. And really it shouldn't be, as that's as common a supplement now as a basic whey protein powder or multi vitamins. Of course there really isn't a policy with HGH either.

But yes 1 and 2 are ridiculous - Elway would have probably been beloved in Seattle, it's easy to say otherwise now because he basically owned the Seahawks for the better part of his career while playing for a hated division foe. However, it's like Richard Sherman.. you can't tell me he'd be downright hated by Seahawk fans if he played for San Francisco or something. Instead he's one of the most liked players on the team.

And John Elway hated Tebow as a QB.. clearly.. after all he couldn't wait to dump him last year. Another bold assumption is that he would be calling any form of shots on this team right now. And even then, he hasn't been the worst GM - but of course signing Peyton Manning could make any personnel guy look great.

I just think it's a major stretch to assume any of these things. Just like its kind of funny to assume Elway wouldn't have won a Super Bowl in Seattle. After all - just eight months after the '83 draft, they were a game away from the Super Bowl with Dave Krieg under center.. not like the team needed a whole lot of pieces to be a bonafide threat to win a title.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think much of our views of Elway are deeply colored by the Seahawks-Broncos rivalry. We all learned to hate him because he was a great player on a rival team that regularly schooled us. If he were a Seahawk, he'd have gone down as one of our favorite players ever. Period.

And to say no way, Seahawks don't win a Super Bowl with Elway instead of who we had as quarterbacks during his tenure in the league is pretty ridiculous. We had some very good years in the mid- to late-80s, some of which are lamented as the biggest should'a-would'a-could'a seasons ever.

1984 could have been a whole lot different. Instead of finishing a game behind the Elway-led Broncos, the Elway-led Seahawks could have cruised to a pretty impressive season that year.

1985 could have looked a whole lot different than the win-two-lose-two debacle of that season, were we to have had Elway in his third year in the league.

1986 if I remember right was the year we slumped in the middle of the season, but at the end of the season were tearing through teams like a hot knife through butter. Think Elway could have helped make the playoffs instead of going 10-6 and missing out?

And the early nineties could have looked a whole lot different than they did. Instead of the nightmare of what happened with B... B... uh, yea, him, and the possibility of moving to L.A., maybe an Elway-led team coming off a Super Bowl a few years earlier might have made a bigger difference and a quicker recovery from those years.

So count me in as one who thinks it isn't unlikely at all we'd have won at least one with him on the team.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
The original horse toothed jackass would not have lasted long enough to win SBs. Drafted in '83, he didn't do much until '86 and no SBs until '97. Plus he was an interception machine...not a good fit for Ground Chuck

Beeker49

Reaction score
Look y'all ... it really wasn't meant to be "snarky'. Yes, I worded it poorly, and I'll try NOT to do so in the future. I appreciate the feedback, in fact. I know y'all have had issues with Niner fans here, and I'm doing my best to NOT be one of "them". Hey, I honestly liked the Hawks when they were AFCW. I'm probably one of the few non-Hawks fans that knew they were ORIGINALLY in the NFCW in 1977 as well. I'll take my lumps when I"m being a smartass, dam right I will. And as long as the Hawks beat the Lambs and Cardinulls twice a year each, that makes me a happy man.

In the end - this shit is gonna be good for a LONG time.

Subzero717

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":5hzv910t said:
Elway's arrogance came to light last off-season when he said this:

http://www.faniq.com/blog/John-Elway-sa ... Blog-53482

I'm not sure most of our opinions on Elway are without merit, Sailor.

Not disagreeing with the OP on Elway but I have no beef with what he said. Mannings "in the conversation" but realistically he has 1 ring. That position is defined by winning. Stats define WR's, RB's and DE's. Stats get QB's an honorable mention.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's a team game. You can't judge based solely on rings. Truly elite QBs can carry through the regular season, but you can't carry very far in the postseason. It's not Marino's fault that his GM and HC didn't build a great team for him to steamroll through Super Bowls with, as an example.

Super Bowl rings are overrated when evaluating one player. They're not overrated at all when evaluating teams.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I disagree. QBing is like starting pitching. Not to mention his stats from Indy's lone SB win he was horrible that post season.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":mbnsxgo0 said:
Lady Talon":mbnsxgo0 said:

Not to nitpick but, creatine is not a banned substance by the NFL. And really it shouldn't be, as that's as common a supplement now as a basic whey protein powder or multi vitamins. Of course there really isn't a policy with HGH either.

But yes 1 and 2 are ridiculous - Elway would have probably been beloved in Seattle, it's easy to say otherwise now because he basically owned the Seahawks for the better part of his career while playing for a hated division foe. However, it's like Richard Sherman.. you can't tell me he'd be downright hated by Seahawk fans if he played for San Francisco or something. Instead he's one of the most liked players on the team.

And John Elway hated Tebow as a QB.. clearly.. after all he couldn't wait to dump him last year. Another bold assumption is that he would be calling any form of shots on this team right now. And even then, he hasn't been the worst GM - but of course signing Peyton Manning could make any personnel guy look great.

I just think it's a major stretch to assume any of these things. Just like its kind of funny to assume Elway wouldn't have won a Super Bowl in Seattle. After all - just eight months after the '83 draft, they were a game away from the Super Bowl with Dave Krieg under center.. not like the team needed a whole lot of pieces to be a bonafide threat to win a title.

Creatine ITSELF is not banned, but thats splitting hairs because the tests were enhanced so the ingredients inside of it will get you suspended.

It is the player's responsibility to make sure that they don't put anything that'll red flag them in there bodies. Always has been.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1qi0l333 said:
It's a team game. You can't judge based solely on rings. Truly elite QBs can carry through the regular season, but you can't carry very far in the postseason. It's not Marino's fault that his GM and HC didn't build a great team for him to steamroll through Super Bowls with, as an example.

Super Bowl rings are overrated when evaluating one player. They're not overrated at all when evaluating teams.

Agree Roland, there are 52 other players, coaches, front office people, literally a building full of people that support and contribute to the organizations winning or losing.

It's an unfair criteria.

Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien and Brad Johnson would be in the conversation as being as good as Peyton if it were a true measuring stick.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2da3jraf said:
Just watched it.. I can't believe how freaking stupid Irsay was..

And why did we pass on Dickerson for Warner again?

Oh well.

Could be he was that electric and good, could be Chuck Knox is from Pennsylvania also....

chris98251

Reaction score
Elway would have garnered us National attention and Elway would have put us in the highlight reels every week, IF.

Chuck Knox ever met a QB he trusted, Knox did not like Zorn's scrambling or his improvazation, why he was gone so quick, injury also but I read that somewhere at some time, Kreig was a workman and did what he was told a lot. Hand the ball to the RB and Fullback and complete the passes I let you throw. Elway would have needed to also have some receivers that could catch the ball, McCullum and Largent were here but neither were guys that busted a defense deep. Daryl Turner dropped as many as he caught.

He would have seen his best days under Flores and Erickson really if he lasted that long here, Behring probably would have traded him.