Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

volsunghawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2bu1o1u8 said:
I found it interesting that Schneider mentioned Earl when talking about extensions and not Sherm when asked about the two of them. I'm more than likely reading waaaay too much into that and Schneider playing close to vest. Interesting none the less.

Likely because Thomas comes due for an extension at least a year before Sherman does. He's next up.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
once this gets updated with kam's new info it should give a good idea of who will be here and who won't.

I was thinking Miller m ight be on his way out over rice, but Miller's contract actually de-escalates unlike Rice' which is only going to get uglier.

We're paying Miller a LOT this year with an 11m cap number but that goes down to 7 and 6 the next two years; still a large number for a TE.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/yearly/

Just in Miller's cap number, and dead money for flynn and leon washington, that's 16m of our cap right there. So next season that's a savings of 9m.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I know it's not the case but the reasonable extensions almost make it seem like JS just laid out a spreadsheet and said, "Kam, I think this is what we can try to do in order to keep you guys together. If you can work with us, maybe we can rack up some rings and you can cash in, in 5 years."

OkieHawk

Reaction score
Like others have already stated I love that the team rewarded Kam. I don't love that people are thinking his last season was him slacking, it was due to an injury he played through!

I hope he recovers well and plays with even more intensity because how the FO treated him. Go Hawks!

Basis4day

Reaction score
mikeak":3lhraxuo said:
Miller - highest paid TE in the league this year?

http://mobile.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/tight-end/

Key phrase "This year". His contract was structured so he made a large share of his money this year.

His first year with the team he had a three million cap hit.

Zach Miller Cap Hits
2011: 3 Million
2012: 7 Million
2013: 11 Million
2014: 7 Million
2015: 6 million

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Does Kam make this kind of coin IF he had gone through Free Agency? I highly doubt it. His value probably doesn't translate to teams that don't have an Earl Thomas bizzarro-rangy free safety protecting the back end. If he hits the open market I say he gets about 75% of this deal which Seattle could have matched or slightly beaten. That couple of million dollar difference against the cap might be important down the road.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Basis4day":1udsf65r said:
mikeak":1udsf65r said:

Key phrase "This year". His contract was structured so he made a large share of his money this year.

Zach Miller Cap Hits

to me this just indicates that just about everything pete and john set out to do is going as close to the 'plan' as you can imagine. Two years of rebuilding, take a step forward and find a QB, then go for it all. We are a little ahead of schedule, and got really lucky with the finding a QB thing at the 11th hour since whitehurst and tarvaris obviously weren't the answer.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Thunderhawk":14k8qz59 said:
Does Kam make this kind of coin IF he had gone through Free Agency? I highly doubt it. His value probably doesn't translate to teams that don't have an Earl Thomas bizzarro-rangy free safety protecting the back end. If he hits the open market I say he gets about 75% of this deal which Seattle could have matched or slightly beaten. That couple of million dollar difference against the cap might be important down the road.

If he has a Pro Bowl year for an elite team, he'd be offered close to Goldson money (i.e. more than he just signed for). Their strengths are very similar despite playing different safety positions. How do his skills not translate? The job of a strong safety is to lay hits in the middle of the field and provide support against the run. He's elite at both.

As far as your other point about having ET to back him up, that's what free safeties are paid to do. He'd have a free safety backing him in a lot of other schemes, too. We happen to have the best, but I don't see how that takes away from what Kam does in the box or the hits/tackles he makes in the open field.

SE174

Reaction score
164637_440356306055186_2124910964_n.jpg

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3r31gm8a said:
Thunderhawk":3r31gm8a said:

If he has a Pro Bowl year for an elite team, he'd be offered close to Goldson money (i.e. more than he just signed for). Their strengths are very similar despite playing different safety positions. How do his skills not translate? The job of a strong safety is to lay hits in the middle of the field and provide support against the run. He's elite at both.

As far as your other point about having ET to back him up, that's what free safeties are paid to do. He'd have a free safety backing him in a lot of other schemes, too. We happen to have the best, but I don't see how that takes away from what Kam does in the box or the hits/tackles he makes in the open field.

Traditionally speaking you are correct about the roles of SS and FS. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the modern NFL trend towards more interchangeable safeties?

Kam is worth more to the Seahawks than other teams. Glad we locked him up. Everyone in due course.

McGruff

Reaction score
Basis4day":3vuev6vc said:
DavidSeven":3vuev6vc said:
Thunderhawk":3vuev6vc said:

Traditionally speaking you are correct about the roles of SS and FS. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't the modern NFL trend towards more interchangeable safeties?

Kam is worth more to the Seahawks than other teams. Glad we locked him up. Everyone in due course.

The NFL of the past 20 years favors interchangeable safeties. The NFL of the next 20 years favors a large safety with range who can force the edge against running QB's and still cover MOST TE's in single coverage.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2awi2yvl said:
I found it interesting that Schneider mentioned Earl when talking about extensions and not Sherm when asked about the two of them. I'm more than likely reading waaaay too much into that and Schneider playing close to vest. Interesting none the less.

I think you're correct in that you may be reading too much into that. Earl's contract is going to come due before Sherman's so Earl is more than likely the one Schneider has at the front of his mind for the time being. I doubt he's forgotten Sherman, but rather just looking to take care of the most urgent situation first.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Basis4day":3psb30j8 said:
mikeak":3psb30j8 said:

Zach Miller Cap Hits

This is what makes me think TE is a target in the draft. At this point in time there are 5 on the roster :

Darren Fells, Cooper Helfet, Anthony McCoy, Sean McGrath and Zach Miller.

Adding one more in the draft and you've got stiff competition come camp time. If even one of those turns out to be even close to Miller talent wise I think they let Zach go. I could be wrong, but it would make sense with the amount left on his contract and the production we have seen from him so far. Of course he could also build an amazing chemistry with Wilson over camp and all of a sudden make himself indispensable.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
@PaulGAllen
@Seahawks S @Kam_Chancellor has just singed a 4 year extension...#GoHawks

@Kam_Chancellor
Im so happy to be connected with the 12s for another 4 years... #12Man #Seahawks best fan base ever

@Earl_Thomas
Congrats to my brother @Kam_Chancellor on the Big contract u deserve every Pennie... DB dinner in you!!lol

@RealMikeRob
Big congrats 2 @Kam_Chancellor on new deal! Another VA boy getting paid! You deserve every penny. You can afford them fines now! #BamBam

@RSherman_25
Congrats to @Kam_Chancellor on the deal even tho I just talked to u lol

@chrisclemons91
Congrats to my lil bro @Kam_Chancellor it shows you are appreciated. #paythaman!

@BIrvin_WVU11
Congrats @Kam_Chancellor you deserve it homie you work your ass off! #startedfromthebottom
Jeron Johnson ✔@showoff_32
Congrats to my boy @Kam_Chancellor on the extension! Much deserved!!

Rishaw Johnson ✔@BigRee75
Congrats to the Homie @Kam_Chancellor for getting that check #Motivation

@WinstonGuyJr27
Congrats to my teammate @Kam_Chancellor for signing his 2nd contract it's a blessing, he well deserved it. He can take care of his family.

@Bwagz54
Congrats to @Kam_Chancellor :: he def deserve it! :: now take me out to eat lol hahaha

Russell Okung ✔@BDR76
@Kam_Chancellor Congrats on the new deal.

@ChrisMaragos
Congrats 2 @Kam_Chancellor on his new deal, no one deserves it more.A true pro who comes every practice 2 work and game 2 play. #NeedaLoan

@DougBaldwinJr
Can’t even begin to explain how happy I am for my boy @Kam_Chancellor

@Seahawks
Schneider: "You're talking about one of the most intimidating players in the @NFL [re: @Kam_Chancellor]." http://shwks.com/live

@Seahawks
Carroll: "@Kam_Chancellor's been nothing but a positive influence on this program. He stands for toughness." http://shwks.com/live

@Seahawks
Chancellor: "It just feels good. The Seahawks organization has blessed me. I'm just a happy person right now." http://shwks.com/live

@MaxUnger60
Congrats to braddah @Kam_Chancellor on the contract extension!

@Moffitt74
“@MaxUnger60: Congrats to braddah @Kam_Chancellor on the contract extension!”---samsies

The Radish

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3vjr2876 said:
CALIHAWK1":3vjr2876 said:

The team can negotiate with Thomas whenever they want but have to wait until next year to talk to Sherman. I think if Schneider's comments mean anything it's not that Sherm isn't a high priority, it's that they are already talking to Earl.

I think many of our posters still don't realize no one can talk money to Sherman and Wilson until they have 3 years in. That's the new CBA. Sherman after this year and Wilson after next.

And who knows how things can change between now and then?

:les:

The Radish

Reaction score
LawlessHawk":drxqal4b said:
SmokinHawk":drxqal4b said:
Vernon Davis will need some new shorts once he gets wind of Kamtrack's new contract.

Not to mention he still hasn't located the cleets he was wearing...

And is probably still hearing footsteps.

:lol:

mikeak

Reaction score
One thing about this extension - there is a huge value in keeping a player on his current contract for another year with the big deal next. Many players start sitting out / demanding a new deal. This is the most cap friendly way to handle this situation especially now with rolling cap leftovers.

Kudos to FO for handling these things without causing issues in the locker room. Go back and look at many other deals and you will see that other teams overspent then did these deals with players as new contracts to lower the cap hit. The issue is they paid extra for the remaining year so while this years cap got lowered overall cap / spend increased.

Our FO is doing a much better job than many other teams here