Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

pehawk

Reaction score
drdiags":mjq6qrrc said:
pehawk":mjq6qrrc said:
Let me say the Kam signing proves I'm a know-nothing, DUMMY. I thought for sure he WOULDN'T be signed. That he was the replacable one of the LOB. And, well, once again, I've proven to be clueless.

XOXOXO

RD

Count me in on this line of thought. I know nothing.

I'm telling ya, we should do a podcast; "Loon and Curmudgeon Say Wrong Isht about the Hawks".

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Kam is the hardest hitter Seattle has in the legion. It makes sense to secure the identity Pete and John have worked so hard to build for this team.

drdiags

Reaction score
pehawk":9nnpm54x said:
I'm telling ya, we should do a podcast; "Loon and Curmudgeon Say Wrong Isht about the Hawks".

No kidding. I wrote that there was no way the Seahawks sign Winfield, that people were falling for a pipe dream if they thought Harvin was coming here.

I cannot wait to spew even more 100% wrong opinions. Its what I do.

So you can pretty much pencil in Rice and Miller for the team next year, as I call for their demise. Yeah, and Browner is out of here. Thurmond is going to start. Where do I sign up for the podcast?

AgentDib

Reaction score
It is true that financial constraints will keep us from paying everybody we like as much as they want. That would still be the case without this extension; it is the fundamental purpose of the salary cap.

However, remember that we still have two full drafts before the 2014 season begins and we will be adding a lot of new rookies. The draft is the key to sustained success and if we draft well there will be a lot of new (cheap) players that we really like to replace those who we will not be able to afford.

It is easy to be less excited about our current draft because we do not have many short terms needs and we do not have a first round pick. Nevertheless, this draft class will be one of the key factors down the road that influence whether our FO built a team that could compete in a short window or whether they built a team that could compete every year.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Lots of good stuff here. A few comments:

- I think Goldson was pretty clearly overpaid. He can be a liability in coverage. Actually, Eric Weddle should have held out as soon as Goldson put ink to paper. That is how much I hate that contract. Of course, Tampa Bay had a really bad secondary last year, and Dominik had lots of cap space, so...

- I think Clemons, Bryant, and Rice are pretty clearly gone after next year (maybe after this year for the first two), and Miller is probably gone as well. The guys who are getting paid are Wilson, Okung, Thomas, and Sherman. Add to that the 6M/yr+ contract of Harvin, and I think the cap is probably in good shape going forward. Well, from what I can tell. We don't have too many contracts valuing over 6-7M a year (and won't) past the next two years unless I forgot one or two contracts/potential contracts, as I well may have.

- How good are Kam's coverage skills? I'm not really sure what the consensus is. I know that he was terrible in our playoff games, but what do we think of him in general?

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
AgentDib":1e4umr7u said:
Remember that we still have two full drafts before the 2014 season begins. It is true that financial constraints will keep us from paying everybody we like as much as they want, but we will be adding a lot of new players before then. The draft is the key to sustained success and if we draft well there will be a lot of new (cheap) players that we really like to replace those who we will not be able to afford.

It is easy to be less excited about our current draft because we do not have many short terms needs and we do not have a first round pick. Nevertheless, this draft class will be one of the key factors down the road that influence whether our FO built a team that could compete in a short window or whether they built a team that could compete every year.

Every time Agent posts he always seems to hit the nail right on the head. I wish you would post more. Over the next few years it is very likely we will see many fan favorites move on to other teams for more money. Many fans complain that the northwest doesnt get alot of media attention but the flip side success is that other franchises will try to vulture and overpay players that do well here (either because of their talent or because the surrounding talent makes them look better then they are).

Edit: Also im not too worried about the cap, as over the next 3 years i see us droping Miller, Rice, Lynch, and maybe even bryant contract. im excited to see what new talent JC will bring onto the team over the next decade

Subzero717

Reaction score
I found it interesting that Schneider mentioned Earl when talking about extensions and not Sherm when asked about the two of them. I'm more than likely reading waaaay too much into that and Schneider playing close to vest. Interesting none the less.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":zi0k921q said:
It's alright, Ryan. We're all wrong on occasion, including me.

/huggle

(I think Throwdown might be a bit too gleeful there, though.)

Ahhh geeze Roland...for a second there I thought you said Huggy.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
JS knows what he is doing. After all the other things that he has accomplished, I just tend not to concern myself with cap numbers and all that. No team can keep everyone with this level of talent, but I am certainly going to enjoy the product JS is putting on the field now.

By the time some of the other contracts come due, it is likely there are some we will want to get rid of anyways.

JS is sending a message and KamBam is the perfect guy to deliver that message.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":bzs3kmgw said:
- How good are Kam's coverage skills? I'm not really sure what the consensus is. I know that he was terrible in our playoff games, but what do we think of him in general?

Coverage is only one aspect of his game, and he was playing against the GREATEST TIGHT END OF ALL TIME in the playoffs. He's a beast against the run and the team's second best tackler by volume (behind the MLB). As someone mentioned earlier, he acts as an extra LB in our nickel package. He also had an excellent year in pass coverage in 2011. He played more snaps than anyone else on defense in 2012, which speaks to both his value and utility in both defense and special teams.

As of now, it looks like he got about a $6 million/year deal. Strikes me as a very fair deal for all parties involved.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice to see this this recognition for Chancellor. He sets the tone they count on. He was their #1 iron man with 1103 snaps. And he did it while playing thru the pain of two bad ankles. Leadership thru setting the example. Terrific signing. It's a great day for the Seahawks. :th2thumbs:

Go Seahawks!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
After listening to the presser, it seems pretty clear that a lot of fans are just underestimating the desire within this FO to reward their own guys.

Pete made is crystal clear that Kam has done everything right since they drafted him, and that they wanted to reward players like him. This is the example they want to set for their players. Is he replaceable? Maybe if you get lucky and find the right guy, but that's a message that this FO clearly did not want to send. They didn't want to unceremoniously replace a guy that worked his way up from being a 5th round pick to being a team leader and a star. I don't blame them one bit, and it shows that like Kam, this FO is doing things the right way.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drdiags":36ad33d3 said:
pehawk":36ad33d3 said:

No kidding. I wrote that there was no way the Seahawks sign Winfield, that people were falling for a pipe dream if they thought Harvin was coming here.

I cannot wait to spew even more 100% wrong opinions. Its what I do.

I'm thinking that its time for you to declare that the Seahawks have no chance in hell at winning the Super Bowl this season.

Throwdown

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":4ur0cp7y said:
It's alright, Ryan. We're all wrong on occasion, including me.

/huggle

(I think Throwdown might be a bit too gleeful there, though.)

Can never be too gleeful when one of your top 3 favorite player is a lock to stay for long time.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Good for Kam making that paper, pretty reasonable deal. Can't wait to watch him tattoo fools this year!

This FO knows exactly what they're doing, I think we'll be surprised when Thomas III resigns (might not be as big of a hit as some might think...dudes are cap magicians).

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yup, I whiffed on this too.

I figured Kam was replaceable since we have Winston Guy on the team. The FO was really high on him at the beginning of TC last year, and he played a lot of meaningful snaps in the playoffs.

Glad to see we're taking care of our guys and not being too cutthroat. I'm kinda worried though about Sherman.....I don't think we'll be able to afford him.

pehawk

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1k3gt4b0 said:
After listening to the presser, it seems pretty clear that a lot of fans are just underestimating the desire within this FO to reward their own guys.

Pete made is crystal clear that Kam has done everything right since they drafted him, and that they wanted to reward players like him. This is the example they want to set for their players. Is he replaceable? Maybe if you get lucky and find the right guy, but that's a message that this FO clearly did not want to send. They didn't want to unceremoniously replace a guy that worked his way up from being a 5th round pick to being a team leader and a star. I don't blame them one bit, and it shows that like Kam, this FO is doing things the right way.

Totally, and its grand they roll this way. Bleeping great.

Remember when Ruskell yanked the franchise tag from Leroy, the moment Curry was drafted? It felt slimey...and EVERYONE on this site thought it was kosher. Glad we're not there again.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2k8fa887 said:
I found it interesting that Schneider mentioned Earl when talking about extensions and not Sherm when asked about the two of them. I'm more than likely reading waaaay too much into that and Schneider playing close to vest. Interesting none the less.

The team can negotiate with Thomas whenever they want but have to wait until next year to talk to Sherman. I think if Schneider's comments mean anything it's not that Sherm isn't a high priority, it's that they are already talking to Earl.