Only 1 Key UFA left for 2014

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
And that is Golden Tate.

With the amount of money given to Rice and Harvin it would be hard to pay Tate what he could probably get on the open market. When Schneider talks about we can't keep everyone, this may be the first example.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I think the front office is going to look very closely at Tate and Rice this season. If Tate has a good enough season, he may end up being the one shown the door.

If Tate does leave, though, I'd laugh if he signed with Green Bay.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Tate and Rice will be competing for that money in 2014. No question.

Durability will be key for Sidney. His prototypical size and #1 skills give him the edge here. But Golden's a playmaker. Development and attitude will be big for him. Has he hit his ceiling? This will be one of the more interesting things to watch this season.

gtcotcakya

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":3fb7lb50 said:

"Aaron, I'll go deep and you run around and throw me an interception, okay?"

Hawknballs

Reaction score
miller could also be out the door to free up money for tate if Fells shows he can get it done.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Miller and Rice are the two biggest candidates for a contract restructure or a release/trade after next season, I would think.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
gtcotcakya":1sl5lver said:
Shadowhawk":1sl5lver said:

"Aaron, I'll go deep and you run around and throw me an interception, okay?"

Lol, I must not be quite awake yet. I had to read that twice before I got it DOH!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
throw in Baldwin too I believe. Baldwin, Tate and Rice are likely competing for 1-2 roster spots next year. I could see them keeping Rice but he will likely be asked to restructure or get cut

mikeak

Reaction score
Tate, Rice, Miller - wouldn't be surprised if they are all gone next year. I think it depends a bit on what is available in this draft that fits our needs. If we can get a 3-5 round WR / TE that does well enough that in a year they are starters then I think at least two but probably all three are gone.

Hopefully they can walk out as SB champions........

HawkFan72

Reaction score
If it comes down to Rice vs. Tate, I would keep Rice. I think over the next couple years, Rice and Harvin would work better than Tate and Harvin (too similar).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
As I said in the Kam thread.. I think this tips our hand in the draft. There are many more WR's in Rounds 2-4 that are available than there are safeties.

When you have big money tied to two WR's.. logic tells you the rest of the WR corps are probably going to be much much cheaper.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Making too much money is turning into a curse.

I'd rather keep Tate over Rice. I think the FO will bring in players to compete with Rice and Miller in this draft i.e. NFL ready prospects that can step right in and compete as opposed to raw athletes.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":1lgzl233 said:
Miller and Rice are the two biggest candidates for a contract restructure or a release/trade after next season, I would think.

Isn't Tate a free agent next year? This is year 4. Did he sign a 5 year deal as a 2nd rounder?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1kr7j0g5 said:
Shadowhawk":1kr7j0g5 said:

Isn't Tate a free agent next year? This is year 4. Did he sign a 5 year deal as a 2nd rounder?

You are correct. From Rotoworld:

7/28/2010: Signed a four-year, $3,261,500 contract. The deal contains $1.471 million guaranteed, including a $1 million signing bonus. 2013: $630,000, 2014: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5583/golden-tate

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
They once said Tate was like a poor man's Percy Harvin, and since now we have Percy Harvin, what do we do with Tate?

Decesions, decesions...

Largent80

Reaction score
Tate is going to improve. He had a great season.

He is part of this team and has grown into and with this team, and he belongs.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, and Michael Robinson are all free agents as well. They may not be big name guys, but that's 40% of our starting offensive line, and our starting fullback. I'd say those can be pretty key guys going into free agency in 2014 as well.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":25y9p87h said:
Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, and Michael Robinson are all free agents as well. They may not be big name guys, but that's 40% of our starting offensive line, and our starting fullback. I'd say those can be pretty key guys going into free agency in 2014 as well.

They are also the most replaceable. McQuistan was the swiss-army knife. Not a full-time starter but a valuable reserve. Breno has gotten better but he is certainly replaceable and I'd be shocked if he didn't have a draft pick for competition this offseason. I'd also expect a draft pick to challenge Mike Rob.

I think if a modest deal for Tate could be worked out I'd do it. PC has said before that Tate is the best at going up and getting the ball. He's got a knack for getting the football at it's highest peak.

I think Farwell, Maragos, McQuistan, M-Rob, and Breno are all gone after this year. I think Rice and Miller will be asked to restructure after 2013 or be cut. Depending on what happens in the draft.