Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2bd2j5sp said:
Scottemojo":2bd2j5sp said:
I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

Right now I'd say Browner and Tate are the least likely guys to come back. Okung and Thomas are locks to be re-signed IMO. Sherman too.

Of course if they come out and draft a Justin Hunter or something (i.e. a big target) .. maybe it's Rice that is let go and Tate is kept on board for what Rice would be making?

Tough decisions to be sure though.

I think Tate is way more likely to be retained than Rice. Rice will be nearing that third deal, that wrong age of 30. I like where you went with Hunter, though I suspect it won't be that particular player, but I do think they want that big body type to replace Rice soon.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
Did our salary cap space suddenly balloon like Kirstie Alley at Golden Corral? Where are we getting all this dough and how are we planning to sign the really, really good players before they hit FA?

Kam would have been about 10th on my list of priorities.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Scottemojo":jthjj9sc said:
Hasselbeck":jthjj9sc said:
Scottemojo":jthjj9sc said:
I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

Right now I'd say Browner and Tate are the least likely guys to come back. Okung and Thomas are locks to be re-signed IMO. Sherman too.

Of course if they come out and draft a Justin Hunter or something (i.e. a big target) .. maybe it's Rice that is let go and Tate is kept on board for what Rice would be making?

I think Tate is way more likely to be retained than Rice. Rice will be nearing that third deal, that wrong age of 30. I like where you went with Hunter, though I suspect it won't be that particular player, but I do think they want that big body type to replace Rice soon.

Hopefully he's already on the roster in the form of Stephen Williams. He's got the frame they might be looking for. I know that Schneider is pretty excited about him. I'd still expect them to draft someone as well. Possibly Hunter like Hasselbeck says.

I love this extension. It sends a message that the Hawks will take care of their own. Kam is very well respected on this football team and is one of the finest examples of "Compete" and "Earn Everything" and all that jazz. When you consider that this is only 4 million dollars more than what Laron Landry made in Indy, it seems about right. In my mind Kam is the better player.

Have some faith guys. I trust this FO to get it right when deciding who stays and who goes on this football team.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":bm9csz2f said:
Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

That said, we just turned Kam Chancellor from a Richard Sherman type asset to a Zach Miller type asset from a money perspective. Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

I think it might be worth re-examining how the team views the draft at this stage.

Obviously, the first three years were about collecting talent everywhere. Anyone that could start. But now in 2013, this roster is young but beginning to mature.

You're absolutely right about not being able to pay everyone. So realistically, if we're going to pay these guys -- then the alpha contracts we have are going to have to be relieved. This would mean Rice, Miller, Bryant, Clemons off the top.

I'm not necessarily talking about this year. But as we move to Sherman/Thomas etc next year, one or two of those deals are going to have to come off the books early. To do that, I'd think that Seattle might be viewing those positions as 'positions of need'. Not in the traditional sense of we don't have the spot filled. But in the sense that we *WON'T* have the spot filled.

I've heard it said multiple times, that we have too many picks and not enough roster spots. But I think this signing could be a portent to just the opposite. We need to get the successors to our high value contracts. We could well be drafting for expected 2014 need this week.

And I'd start thinking about what this draft has a lot of. Run stuffing D Linemen, TEs and WRs. It could be we reload at the 1 and 5, as well as take one or maybe two larger #1 WR prospects -- of which there are a few with day 3 grades.

It also makes sense relative to who we've signed. We signed bridge vets to short term deals at positions of need. Most of us have lamented the lack of pass rushing DTs in this draft and it's not inconceivable that Seattle feels the same way. Why force a lesser prospect for today's need, when you can draft a greater prospect for tomorrow's?

Maybe we're not looking at a Joker TE -- since there seems to be a shortage of good prospects for that. Maybe we're looking at a traditional inline guy to compete/succeed Miller.

It does appear, that this draft is ripe with guys that could replace high value contracts for the next year. It also appears that Seattle's plan is to roll off big contracts as others are getting added. In order to do that, Seattle is going to have to draft ahead of expected need.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ptpaka2 said:
Hasselbeck":3ptpaka2 said:
Scottemojo":3ptpaka2 said:

I don't know. Rice is only 2 years older than Tate so I don't know that age will be that big of a factor. They are both still in their mid-20s, so they both still have a few good prime years left. Just depends who they want to give the money to.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
It was a little weird that they started with Kam holding up his jersey at the beginning.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Confirmed that it's a 4 year extension by Schneider to open the press conference

acbass

Reaction score
I seriously will never understand how anyone can possibly think they understand our cap situation better than this FO. These guys have proven over and over they know what they are doing. They don't just wake up one day and say "hey, let's mortgage our future by signing this guy." They have ran these numbers millions of times and are very aware of what they can afford to do. I don't think this contract is all that outrageous. We have had elite talent playing for peanuts for a while. That had to change sometime. Yes, there may be some casualties but far be it from me or anyone else on this board to think they haven't crunched every last dime. It will be okay, people. I promise.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Kam seems very appreciative that the Seahawks promised him they would take care of him and that they followed through.

I think this will go a long way to helping players want to play here even more.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":nfgsjtv0 said:
Hmmm...John says Kam was his number one priority in FA. GM speak, or do you think that's sincere?

I think it's true. Harvin, Avril, Bennett and Winfield sort of fell in their lap. Listening to this press conference, it's pretty clear that sending a symbolic message to the rest of their young guys was a big deal for them. Kam started as a fifth rounder and then competed and earned himself a nice deal. Huge message for the new acquisitions and rookies coming in.

kidhawk

Reaction score
FortWorthSeahawk":232mlq7q said:
Hmmm...John says Kam was his number one priority in FA. GM speak, or do you think that's sincere?

Well given that most of the ones I'd see as higher priorities are locked up longer than Kam is, like Thomas, Okung, etc. I believe him. Who else has a contract expiring after this season who was a higher priority than Kam? I can't think of anyone

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2rcz3aq6 said:
FortWorthSeahawk":2rcz3aq6 said:

I think it's true. Harvin, Avril, Bennett and Winfield sort of fell in their lap. Listening to this press conference, it's pretty clear that sending a symbolic message to the rest of their young guys was a big deal for them. Kam started as a fifth rounder and then competed and earned himself a nice deal. Huge message for the new acquisitions and rookies coming in.

That would be great if that's the case (I would tend to believe that as well). However I'm not sure any of those other individuals listed "fell" into the lap of free agency. I'm assessing they were on the radar a bit stronger than that.

However, this is Kam's day, and I for one am happy he'll be around for the foreseeable future!

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kidhawk":3bahxcz5 said:
FortWorthSeahawk":3bahxcz5 said:

Well given that most of the ones I'd see as higher priorities are locked up longer than Kam is, like Thomas, Okung, etc. I believe him. Who else has a contract expiring after this season who was a higher priority than Kam? I can't think of anyone

Exactly. I think JS was being honest. At the beginning of the press conference Kam even said they approached him at the end of last year and said they were going to take care of him. This was something that was very deliberate and part of the plan from Day 1 of the offseason.

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
kidhawk":10lg5i80 said:
FortWorthSeahawk":10lg5i80 said:

I was thinking more of free agency in general. Though Harvin was via trade, so good point...nobody else was locked in for anything close to what Kam was.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It feels like a statement deal as much as anything. We promised if you kept working hard we would reward you, and you did, so we keep our end up. Calling him a core player and a leader and one of the leagues most intimidating players.