Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

GCrow

Reaction score
Good stuff, happy he'll be here for a while.

Pro Bowl Safeties who are 25 don't usually come cheap. It's also a good move showing that - after spending a bunch a money bringing in new guys - that the FO is loyal to their guys and will pay them deservedly.

SeahawkAce

Reaction score
People let's not freak out so much about the cap. We still don't know how it's structured yet. I'm sure he's getting a bonus somewhere in there. if you take the 17 mil. divided by 5 it's 3.4 mil a year. Now bonus' and whatnot can affect this number up or down. and Incentives also can raise it but just on the surface I really don't think his contract is going to hurt us financially. Good job Kam! Go Hawks!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
GCrow":34hnfxmy said:
............ It's also a good move showing that - after spending a bunch a money bringing in new guys - that the FO is loyal to their guys and will pay them deservedly.
Agree. Will have positive ramifications down the road.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ley8ii35 said:
Marvin49":ley8ii35 said:
WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Still, probably a good move for you guys. Locks him up at todays prices instead of the market when he would have been a FA.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is ging to command.
It's a lot less than Goldson got.

Earl is going to get a big deal. The best safety in the NFL often does.

It is less that what Goldson got (which was WAY too much and the reason SF didn't resign him). IMO, Thomas is better than Goldson...so yeah, I'm sure it'll be alot more.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":24bt2nyt said:
Marvin49":24bt2nyt said:
WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Still, probably a good move for you guys. Locks him up at todays prices instead of the market when he would have been a FA.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is going to command.
I heard Vernon Davis suffered another concusion when he heard the news of the extension. ;)

Funny.

Somehow I don't think Vernon is worried.

In all seriousness, this is just the first brick to keep all those guys together...similar to what the 49ers are trying to do with their LBs and O-Line.

Good move.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":a28kgudl said:
Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

That said, we just turned Kam Chancellor from a Richard Sherman type asset to a Zach Miller type asset from a money perspective. Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

JS said himself: we can't and won't keep everybody. You gotta pick your spots to lose players, and though I don't think guys like Sidney Rice or Golden Tate are more valuable than Chancellor, IMO they are a lot harder to replace.

If not for Goodell neutering Chancellor with the ridiculous anti-contact rules, I think Chancellor would be such a force that he'd be worth this kind of investment. The player that we saw last year was a mixed bag, though I blame Goodell for that more than Kam.

I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I like Kam and all things being equal wanted him to stay, but only if doing so is smart. Hopefully JS continues to do cap miracles and makes it all work out. I'm guessing we are in for some painful cuts next year, though.

I think this might tip our hand with the draft.. maybe the FO feels that they're much more likely to find a Tate replacement in the draft than a Chancellor one.

And looking at a list of WR's that will be there in rounds 2-4 compared to the safeties.. I can't say I disagree.

amill87

Reaction score
kearly":1loyih5b said:
Before I say anything about this, I know and appreciate that Schneider is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-his-pants GM. Every expenditure he makes fits into a 3 year financial plan.

That said, we just turned Kam Chancellor from a Richard Sherman type asset to a Zach Miller type asset from a money perspective. Obviously, Kam was going to get paid at least that much so I'm not complaining about an overpay at all, I just think that we might have been better served saving that money for other players we need to keep and take advantage of the fact that strong safety might be the easiest position for Pete Carroll to fill through the draft.

JS said himself: we can't and won't keep everybody. You gotta pick your spots to lose players, and though I don't think guys like Sidney Rice or Golden Tate are more valuable than Chancellor, IMO they are a lot harder to replace.

If not for Goodell neutering Chancellor with the ridiculous anti-contact rules, I think Chancellor would be such a force that he'd be worth this kind of investment. The player that we saw last year was a mixed bag, though I blame Goodell for that more than Kam.

I guess we'll see how this shakes out. I like Kam and all things being equal wanted him to stay, but only if doing so is smart. Hopefully JS continues to do cap miracles and makes it all work out. I'm guessing we are in for some painful cuts next year, though.

It's near impossible to try to predict what this move does to effect future outcomes.

Like you said, JS does this stuff with a plan. Until something comes up that looks like he was wrong with his plan, I think we got nothing to worry about.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
DavidSeven":12cs7jqg said:
Like who? Do you really think PC/JS sign offer Kam this extension if they thought it would at all hinder their ability to resign Thomas and Sherman? I look at this deal as a GREAT sign that a viable plan is in place to keep all three in Seattle for at least five years. They wouldn't do this deal if they weren't 100% confident that they could work it out with Thomas and Sherman next.

Yea I am pretty shocked at the armchair GMing going on right now. Did you guys all forget all those articles this offseason talking about what a fantastic job JS is doing? I would guess that he has a really solid plan to deal with all these issues and we don't need to worry about it at all yet.

As a side note, I think it was pretty important for the team to send the message that they reward their own homegrown stars, regardless of draft position. Kam was their guy, and has blossomed into a young star. Thats the kind of success they likely really want to reward. Not doing so would send a bad message in my opinion.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Marvin49":12mrz2f3 said:
Scottemojo":12mrz2f3 said:
Marvin49":12mrz2f3 said:
WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is ging to command.
It's a lot less than Goldson got.

Earl is going to get a big deal. The best safety in the NFL often does.

It is less that what Goldson got (which was WAY too much and the reason SF didn't resign him). IMO, Thomas is better than Goldson...so yeah, I'm sure it'll be alot more.

I don't think SF was planning to resign Goldson from the get-go with their priorities at re-upping OL and the money they're spending at LB. I don't think the fact that they didn't match means that Goldson got overpaid. Seemed like a reasonable deal for an All-Pro safety. Kam is making a little less, and I'm sure ET will earn a little more.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Another thing to keep in mind, I think Brandon Browner is likely the guy in the secondary that doesn't see a big extension. If he wants to stay, he will likely take less money to do so..

But a guy who will be 29 next year as an RFA.. I don't see BB being around in two seasons.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":2iuocwe2 said:

Kam did a great job last year adjusting to the new rules, bogus flags in the SF game aside.

I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":35j5ns6m said:
I don't think SF was planning to resign Goldson from the get-go with their priorities at re-upping OL and the money they're spending at LB. I don't think the fact that they didn't match means that Goldson got overpaid. Seemed like a reasonable deal for an All-Pro safety. Kam is making a little less, and I'm sure ET will earn a little more.

Well, the REASON they were never planning on paying him what they wanted was because he wanted more than they were willing to pay.

The overpaid part is my personal opinion because I've never really been his biggest fan. Maybe overrated is the better term. Big hitter and great in run support, but too often took bad angles and wasn't great in coverage. He would have been a better SS. Whitner is even worse. I think the Niner safeties were BOTH overrated. Whitner is fantastic in run support, but he's a real liability in coverage.

My hope is that whomever they get in the draft is more of a center fielder than an enforcer.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1zyi5b07 said:
I think some very painful decisions are ahead of the Hawks over the next three years. Operating under the recent theory that a team can only afford 6 or so expensive players at a time, between Okung, Thomas, Sherman, Browner, Wright, Tate, and our already expensive Miller, Rice, Bryant, Unger, Harvin, and Lynch, and the couple years away mega deal for Wilson, we are going to lose players we really like.

Right now I'd say Browner and Tate are the least likely guys to come back. Okung and Thomas are locks to be re-signed IMO. Sherman too.

Of course if they come out and draft a Justin Hunter or something (i.e. a big target) .. maybe it's Rice that is let go and Tate is kept on board for what Rice would be making?

Tough decisions to be sure though.

Seahawksfan425

Reaction score

ivotuk

Reaction score
My first thought was that it was awfully expensive, but in retrospect, it's really not that much, and like someone mentioned, we don't know the details yet.

We've got at least a year before we need to start worrying about other contract extensions, and a lot can happen in that year. I see RW, Okung, Unger, Harvin, Lynch, Thomas as our must have players and they are all signed for reasonable contracts which to me would indicate any extensions would also be reasonable.

I think it will work out in the long run.