Kam contract extension - 2:00 Press conference

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Yeah, it helps to click the link and read things...

RockHawk

Reaction score
You all remember how everyone got into a tisy when RW promoted a huge announcement a couple weeks ago, and were "mildly" disappointed to hear it was just his football camp?

Since deals are generally leaked well before an official announcement is made, I have my doubts but sincerely hope it's about signing a player long-term.

I'll be monitoring this situation very closely.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Danny 710ESPNSeattle ‏@BrocknDanny 3m
#Seahawks expected to announce a contract extension for S Kam Chancellor today at 2 p.m., a source confirms to @710ESPNSeattle.
Retweeted by 710 ESPN Seattle

John Boyle ‏@johnpboyle 41s
Per @RapSheet, the Seahawks 2pm presser will be to announce a five-year extension for Kam Chancellor.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Should probably change the title of this thread or start a new one.

Looks like Kam's getting a 5-year extension. Love this.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
RockHawk":d6hd0j8a said:
You all remember how everyone got into a tisy when RW promoted a huge announcement a couple weeks ago, and were "mildly" disappointed to hear it was just his football camp?

Since deals are generally leaked well before an official announcement is made, I have my doubts but sincerely hope it's about signing a player long-term.

I'll be monitoring this situation very closely.

:34853_doh:

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":fzxuuugy said:
John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN 33s
Kam Chancellor received a five-year, $35 million deal in a contract extension from the Seahawks. He gets $17 million guaranteed.

Wow, that's ........ a lot more than I would have expected they'd give Kam. I think the guy is great and all but ...... wow.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":14ybgqi5 said:
Seahawk Sailor":14ybgqi5 said:
Kam Chancellor received a five-year, $35 million deal in a contract extension from the Seahawks. He gets $17 million guaranteed.

Wow, that's ........ a lot more than I would have expected they'd give Kam. I think the guy is great and all but ...... wow.

If that's what he is getting.....that's astonishing for a SS that is arguably the 4th best player in our secondary. I just got nervous about what Earl and Sherm will command because of this. Hopefully we have some backloading going on

I guess that might not change what they would ask for, which would still be upwards of 10 mil/year. Just seems like a lot at first blush for a SS

drdiags

Reaction score
7M/yr. Not what I was expecting either but it isn't my money or my cap. I was thinking he would get around 5M, maybe 6M tops. Good for him.

EDIT: Okay things seem to be fluid on the length, so I am going to table my thoughts on the price for now. Maybe it is 25M for the 4 yr extension? Clayton may have hit the wrong key?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2q0i4zvt said:

Wow not bad at all for Kam. That's more than I thought he might get but I do think he earned it. He is the guy most responsible for creating the whole Legion of Boom identity and it will be awesome if we can keep the gang together

mikeak

Reaction score
So are we banking in the new TV contract to give the cap a $20 million jump in a two years???....

bluengreen

Reaction score
Wow, that is a lot. I am glad to see our players rewarded, they deserve it, but I'm not sure how we will be able to afford our secondary.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Depends on how it's structured. If they can give him a bunch of guaranteed money now and get it off the books that would be great.

our owner has billions of dollars so money really isn't an issue if they can work it so it fits with the cap.

Also a lot of people seem to think Kam had a so-so year or that he's become 1-dimensional but lets not forget he's working in support of some very young linebackers.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Let's not extrapolate too much from the early numbers. Contract details often don't actually reflect the seeming average that is reported.

Also, don't forget that the cap is due to increase after the 2014 season, so contracts will increase then as well, so this could be a bargain looking back.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Numbers are still murky. Clayton says five years, but unclear if he is including his remaining rookie year. Kam's agent confirmed 4-year extension through 2017.

Hold off on freaking out about the cap, plz thx.

Marvin49

Reaction score
WOW.

Thats alot of $$$$$.

Still, probably a good move for you guys. Locks him up at todays prices instead of the market when he would have been a FA.

Makes me wonder tho what Earl Thomas is going to command.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Salary and bonus structure is key. Until we have that, there's no way to tell how the deal impacts our cap room.

Plus, it seems like every time a new contract is announced it seems to be partly smoke and mirrors. Winfield's was announced at 1 year, $3 million and then we found out it was essentially $2 million with the rest in "not likely to be earned" bonuses. Something similar might be in effect here.