2010 First Round Re-do - Hawks take...

Giedi

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":3varpuh7 said:
Giedi":3varpuh7 said:
KCHawkGirl":3varpuh7 said:
These things are always interesting to look at but ultimately make no sense much like power rankings.
I agree. It's just something to do in the off season when there isn't any football going on. Hindsight is always 20/20. The real key for great coaches is to have that 20/20 *foresight*.

I think there are lessons to be learned for the future from hindsight, such as: what are the characteristics of players that ultimately became higher-quality starters than projected based on what round they were taken?

Pete and John have already shown great--not omniscient, but uncanny--ability to spot "functional" talent and work ethic. I would bet they learn from the draft picks that didn't work out as well as those that have.

Experience is a big factor in *foresight* I do agree.

But a bigger predictor in my opinion is a coach's knowledge of the game. (of which experience is a subset of said knowledge) So when I say knowledge, I mean all the little tricks of the trade, the ability to grasp the nuances of half time adjustments and the like.

The final part of doing well is simply who you know. So - on top of *what* a coach knows, also an important aspect of getting info on a draft pick (for example) is *who* you know. I.e. do you know the coach's RB coach that can give you a better idea of the RB situation, or perhaps the offensive coordinator who actually worked with the QB you are thinking of drafting. etc...

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":22be6tae said:
Sorry but ill take Gronk over Okung. He is the best TE in the NFL and its not even close. I like Okung a lot, and it would be ashame to just miss out on him with our second first rounder, but Gronk has generational talent. Can't be a homer on this one

Value... A LT is significantly more valuable than a TE. What was the last great team with a crappy LT?

acbass

Reaction score
I look at this as just a couple of writers having fun. It's a slow time and this is just something fun to do. Alternate history is always intriguing. Gronk is good and all, but if he had come here then, no one would know who he is. We had nobody to get him the ball. Having Tom Brady throw it to you is the best situation you could possibly be in. I don't know, I like these little hypotheticals. Just meant to be a little bit of fun before the draft.

seatt1eslew

Reaction score
That writer is an idiot. No way Okung is not still the pick. Stupid.

Silver lining: Thomas and Okung went 5 and 13 in the redraft. So in the writer's mind, the Hawks won the real draft (the one that actually counts).

Go Hawks

Boiler

Reaction score
seatt1eslew":2ihbnun9 said:
Silver lining: Thomas and Okung went 5 and 13 in the redraft. So in the writer's mind, the Hawks won the real draft (the one that actually counts).

Go Hawks

No kidding. Having actually picked at 6 and 14 the same players that the writer picked at 5 and 13 in the redraft with the full benefit of hindsight isn't too shabby.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Boiler":1rzobezt said:
seatt1eslew":1rzobezt said:

Go Hawks

No kidding. Having actually picked at 6 and 14 the same players that the writer picked at 5 and 13 in the redraft with the full benefit of hindsight isn't too shabby.
Not to mention Kam going #24 in this "re-draft" -- a whopping 109 picks before he was actually drafted!

Latest posts