Jets have agreement in principle to trade Darrelle Revis

Discuss any and all NFL-related topics and matters of interest here. RATING: PG-13
  • To Tampa Bay as expected for "undisclosed draft picks". Bet they didn't get the 1st rounder they were seeking but we'll see.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--sourc ... 15922.html
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I thought Tampa Bay was considering trading their 1st round pick PLUS other picks?
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• ESPN is reporting that the deal does include TBs first round pick this year.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• SeatownJay wrote:ESPN is reporting that the deal does include TBs first round pick this year.

I'm surprised considering that the Jets were kind of over a barrel. TB was really bad vs. the pass last year though.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Yeah, it looks like Tampa blinked first.
    Shadowhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Revis, Goldson and Barron. I don't know about their other CB but that secondary is looking legit.

I think TB is going to make a statement in the division this year with Doug Martin having a full season behind him. We were all drooling over Freeman a few seasons ago, I could see him bouncing back especially with Vincent Jackson and a defense not giving up tons passing yards where he has to play catch up all game.
    "If the opportunity presents itself, we're going to come get you. You’re part of the family. You're part of us. You helped us start this thing." - John Schneider before releasing Michael Robinson
    Veilside
    NET Veteran

• I think we will find out 1st this year and 2nd next year. Think Jets wanted both this year and TB wanted to give both next year...
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• 1st rounder (#13) + additional picks still seems insane to me. Is he really worth more off a knee injury than a 24 year old Percy Harvin?
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• 6 year 96 million dollar deal. No guaranteed money.

Damn.
    Decimation
    NET Veteran

• Huge money - was hoping it would be smaller; now were going to have to pay Sherman silly money to keep him around with Wilson's payday the following year, on top of all the other guys we need to extend.

Hope John and co. have a decent plan to keep the cap down.
    Gunner
    NET Bench Warmer

• 16 million a year but can cut anytime with no additional payout, sounds like a contract that will be a one and done type deal, when you trade for a CB that is given more value then your QB position your franchise is in trouble. I think this will have impact on Shermans deal, but lets see if Revis is there long enough to see that contract. Sherman will get good money, but he's not dumb either, good money long term versus this kind of contract for a player that was injured badly isn't good business.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• Keep in mind it's $0 guaranteed, which plays a huge role in the inflating the numbers. Not sure this can really be said to be bad news or good news for Seattle in terms of future negotiations with Sherman. Situation is too unique to really be precedent. A non-guaranteed contract is sort of worthless.

Still think TB gave up too much in draft capital.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• 1st rounder this year and a 4th rounder next year that can become a 3rd.

That contract is ginormous. Maybe Sherman and his agent will miss this news completely.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Good deal for the Bucs. Who were they going to get with their first rounder who would be better for them over the next 4-5 years than Revis? They're not in position to land Dee Milliner without a huge trade up.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Gunner wrote:Huge money - was hoping it would be smaller; now were going to have to pay Sherman silly money to keep him around with Wilson's payday the following year, on top of all the other guys we need to extend.

Hope John and co. have a decent plan to keep the cap down.

Of course they have a plan. And that plan includes not being able to keep everyone.

Reality..
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Wow this is a franchise crippling move. What are the Bucs doing?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:Wow this is a franchise crippling move. What are the Bucs doing?

Getting an elite player at the position where they were weakest last year.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Rat wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:Wow this is a franchise crippling move. What are the Bucs doing?

You cant buy elite players and expect to be competitive when the core of your team isnt already established. Many a team have tried this route and after they find out they cant do it they will be trying like hell to trade the player that is commanding all their cap space and stopping them from signing other players. A CB isnt worth what they're paying him, he will shut down the side of the field he's on if he gets healthy, but good passing teams will just throw it to receivers he's not covering.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    Rat wrote:
    therealjohncarlson wrote:Wow this is a franchise crippling move. What are the Bucs doing?

You cant buy elite players and expect to be competitive when the core of your team isnt already established. Many a team have tried this route and after they find out they cant do it they will be trying like hell to trade the player that is commanding all their cap space and stopping them from signing other players. A CB isnt worth what they're paying him, he will shut down the side of the field he's on if he gets healthy, but good passing teams will just throw it to receivers he's not covering.

They have a solid core with Josh Freeman, Doug Martin, Vincent Jackson, Mike Williams, Gerald McCoy, Lavonte David, and Mark Barron. Who do you think they could have gotten at #13 that would be better for them than Revis?
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Its more about the money they're paying him than the draft capital. And I don't really think they can win with Freeman. He's a bottom 10 starting QB that looked pretty good his rookie year but hasn't really gotten any better imo
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:Who do you think they could have gotten at #13 that would be better for them than Revis?

I think a lot of people would argue that someone of Tavon Austin's caliber on a rookie deal is worth more than Revis at $16 million/year. I look at it like they're giving up a Tavon Austin type player, a potential All-Pro free agent (from loss of cap space), and another potential starter (third rounder) for a 27 year old cornerback coming off major knee surgery.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:Its more about the money they're paying him than the draft capital. And I don't really think they can win with Freeman. He's a bottom 10 starting QB that looked pretty good his rookie year but hasn't really gotten any better imo

Tampa has been ungodly amounts of money under the cap in recent years, so I don't see Revis holding the team hostage cap-wise. If they have trouble paying guys later is because the team has gotten good and has a lot more great players than they've had in recent years. All things considered, that's not a bad problem to have.

I expected Freeman to make bigger steps forward last year, but I think he's proven to be more than capable. That'll be a problem if he doesn't continue to improve though.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• DavidSeven wrote:
    Rat wrote:Who do you think they could have gotten at #13 that would be better for them than Revis?

I think a lot of people would argue that someone of Tavon Austin's caliber on a rookie deal is worth more than Revis at $16 million/year. I look at it like they're giving up a Tavon Austin type player, a potential All-Pro free agent (from loss of cap space), and another potential starter (third rounder) for a 27 year old cornerback coming off major knee surgery.

Coming off of knee surgery is the only part of this I see as a gamble. If his knee holds, Revis at 27 >>>>>>>>> Tavon Austin at 22. It's not even close. Being out for most of last year has made people forget how unbelievable of a player a healthy Revis is.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• two first round picks in the top 13, two bad for the jets there's no really elite talent in the top ten
    AnchoviesofTerror
    NET Starter

• Rat wrote:

At 16 million a year its crippling. I see this lasting maybe two seaons.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• It's not crippling. Like Rat said, TB has tons of cash and no one pressing in FA...aside from Freeman.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• One thing is for sure, the Falcons are going to find it TOUGH in that division next season. Honestly wouldn't surprise me to see TB and NO come out of it, leaving the Falcons as like 10-6 outsiders.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• 1) he is worth the picks - he passed the physical

2) No guaranteed is huge

3) I still don't know if one CB can be worth more money than lots of starting quarterbacks. Now I think with the other Tampa moves he will fit in very well by I really question the value.

4) Cap wise. Sure they were $23 million under the cap but look at the below from two weeks ago. They just blew the whole extra they had. Not sure how things look for next year but I would expect it gets tough. If Freeman has a good year then it gets much tougher as well...

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Current contracts: 48
    Previous year carryover: $23,519,353.00
    Adjustments: $1,968,600.00
    Adjusted cap: $146,087,953.00
    Team cap: $127,735,458.00
    Cap room: $18,352,495.00
    Team cash: $127,362,707.00
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:12 am

Please REGISTER to become a member