Before you use the '10 am starts is whining, get over it'. .

formido

Reaction score
Also, I think for many of us who have tested our physical strength during many different parts of the day, it should be obvious why west coast teams have trouble with east coast starts. Any particular person might be different, but the general profile is inarguable: We warm to our peak body temperature and greatest strength by mid to late afternoon and hold close to that peak through the evening. This is the way we are built, physiologically. I was a little annoyed reading Sando earlier today because he seemed to suggest that east coast teams would have just as much trouble going west, which means he doesn't understand the physiological underpinnings for the problem. East coast body clocks will always be at least even, depending on where the game is played. Here's a summary of research I found on elitefitness.com:

American Council on Exercise - 2007

Warm is better
It is the influence of circadian rhythms on body temperature that seems to yield the most control over the quality of a workout. When body temperature is at its highest, your workouts will likely be more productive; when your temperature is low, chances are your exercise session may be less than optimal.
Body temperature is at its lowest about one to three hours before most of us wake up in the morning, in contrast to late afternoon when body temperature reaches its peak. If you are an early bird or a night owl your temperature peaks within an hour or two of the norm (4pm – 6pm).
Studies have consistently shown that exercise during these late-in-the-day hours produces better Performance and more power. Muscles are warm and more flexible, perceived exertion is low, reaction time is quicker, strength is at its peak, and resting heart rate and blood pressure are low.

Medical Review Board - September 2007

• For most people, body temperature and hormone levels peak at 6 p.m. Exercising 3 hours before or after the peak will give your your best workout for both endurance and building muscle.
• Research shows lung function is best at 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
• Muscles are warm and flexible.
• Perceived exertion is lowest -- how hard you feel yourself to be working at exercise. So you may be able to work out harder or faster by doing so in the afternoon.
• Can help regulate the amount of food you feel like eating for dinner.
• Stress relief after a day at work, school, or home.

USA Today (Society for the Advancement of Education) - April, 2005

Exercise best in late afternoon
Circadian rhythms, the body's biological processes that repeat in 24-hour cycles, may have a significant effect on a person's lung function and, ultimately, help determine the best time of day for exercise and the administration of medications and medical procedures. In a study by Boris I. Medarov, a physician at Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, N.Y., lung function was found to have a natural circadian rhythm, where it is at its peak during the late afternoon hours and at its lowest around midday.
"Circadian rhythms regulate our biological cycles for sleep, activity level, metabolism, and many other processes through our body's exposure to sunlight and darkness," explains Medarov. "Our study finds that lung function has its own rhythm that may govern how much energy we exert throughout the day and the best times to engage in certain activities."
The study investigated how lung function fluctuated throughout the working hours of 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Results were compared within nine time intervals, and showed that patients' overall airway resistance was at its most prominent around 12 p.m. but reached its minimum between 4-5 p.m.
"We often associate the end of the workday with being tired and less motivated for physical exertion; however, lung function seems to be at its best during this time," notes Medarov. "As a result, exercising or engaging in other physical activities in the late afternoon may help us to achieve optimal Performance."

CNN - January 2004

"The best time to work out is in the late afternoon," Zee said. "The reason for that is your muscle strength is at its peak, its highest. You're going to be less likely to injure yourself. It's also a time when people are most awake and alert."
The science behind Zee's assertion resides with delicate rhythms of the brain called circadian rhythms. According to Zee, circadian rhythms explain why working out later in the day might be more productive and beneficial.
"One of the things that circadian rhythms does is that it determines when your best Performance time is," Zee said. "Your ability to perform changes throughout 24 hours."
Circadian rhythms operate like an internal clock in the body. Neuron signals are fired out by the hypothalamus [a region of the brain], controlling sleep patterns, blood pressure, even our moods.
"These are rhythms that are innate," Zee said. "They are in almost any organism, whether you are an animal or a plant, and they recur every 24 hours."
Circadian rhythms also control body temperature, a key element of a more productive workout. According to Zee, by the afternoon, body temperature is between one and two degrees warmer than in the morning, making muscles in the body more supple and lowering the risk of injury.
Another circadian expert agrees.
"Maximum body temperature happens between 2 and 4 p.m.," said Dr. Michael Vitiello, a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the University of Washington. "After that, [body temperature] starts to decline for most people.

Rose City Hawk

Reaction score
This will make the end result all the sweeter. We have Russell Wilson now people...he never sleeps so the start time is irrelevant. I just don't care what they throw at us, if we are good enough to win the Superbowl, this isn't going to hold us back.

Go Hawks!

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3sgd63wn said:
KCHawkGirl":3sgd63wn said:
I have no worries, last year the 10am thing was becoming irrelevant and this year it will be a non-factor because Russell Wilson will make it so.

I think it was still a factor. Including playoffs, the Seahawks were 1-4 in 10:00 AM games last year. 12-2 in all other games and 3-2 in later road games. Seattle's only 10:00 a.m. win was a come from behind victory that required two game winning drives in Chicago. Very easily could have gone 0-5 in those games.

I think the Seahawks can definitely overcome it, but it's another obstacle. This issue needs to be addressed by the league, but they're obviously more concerned about their TV contracts than fair competition. I don't expect them to think twice about it.
This.

The Seahawks last year could have won the Super Bowl. The average win % of west coast teams on the east coast at 10 am is 22%. This Super Bowl worthy team won exactly 20% of those games.

The competition level of the NFL is too close for a team to overcome a signifcant disadvantage. Expect the Hawks, no matter how good they are, to go 1-4 again. A good result would be 2-3.

To expect more than that is just unrealistic homerism and a refusal to accept empirical evidence.

vonstout

Reaction score
There's no doubt that it is a disadvantage to play early games. Those that say it won't matter may be right, but it was likely a factor in our losses to Miami and Detroit last year. There are lots of articles regarding Vegas odds and winning percentages being lower for west coast teams playing early games on the east coast. Obviously, some of it depends on how good the teams are. It was a joke that we had to play the first game on Saturday against Atlanta last year in the playoffs since it was the only game out of the 4 playoff games that was a 1:00 EST start time.

Largent80

Reaction score
The team is from Seattle, therefore we will always play more 10 A.M. games.

So what?.......Just win 1/2 of them and we are fine.

The Radish

Reaction score
I do agree that we will be lucky to go 2-3 on those trips. Having traveled to the east coast a lot in my working years I laugh at people that say they notice no difference. Its just not true. Much harder mentally to get up the next day and complete at your very best. And football is a lot more mental than you think.

But didn't the team leave a day early last year to help offset some of that? At least last year we seemed to be in all those games where in years past we truly sucked in 10am games.

And remember the only NFL team with any success traveling across the country west to east was the ninnir teams of the 80s. True Zona went one year but they are a time zone further and you can't exactly call St. Louis a West Coast Team.

I will worry but hope for the best. I know Wilson will be ready but he's one guy. Remember the team has to be ready to play every game at their peak or the "on any sunday" will rear up its ugly head.

:les:

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
i just think it's dumb that the NFL has a meeting to make up a bunch of rules to help out east coast teams and we get stuck with this. that's all. I wouldn't have posted or peeped about the 10 am starts if i didn't jarringly remember this absurd change from '09 to help out tom terrific.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
vonstout":1a1rwzs8 said:
There's no doubt that it is a disadvantage to play early games. Those that say it won't matter may be right, but it was likely a factor in our losses to Miami and Detroit last year..............
Not to mention the slow start in the playoff games.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
It doesn't matter how good this team is, or whether we should be able to overcome an obstacle like the schedule. The fact that the NFL will protect poor wittle pissburg from having to make two whole west coast trips in the same season in order to preserve the competitiveness of the division, and force any west coast team to make five 10:00 starts, is bleeping hypocritical and bleeping SUCKS. Seriously, I'd like to tag the schedule maker with a cattle prod right in the junk. (OK, maybe not so seriously. A dreamer can dream.)

Largent80

Reaction score
Ok. Let me get this straight.

First of all, we are to beat every team.

Secondly, We have to beat the schedule.

Thirdly, we have to beat the league/officials.

Just win games with superiority in coaching, players, and schemes.

Then we can finally hoist a Lombardi.

There are NO excuses.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
formido":1kny8qif said:
If Seattle wins the division with this schedule, we're talking about an all-time team.

Ya, Im sure they will be talking about the division winning Hawks right up there with the 1972 Dolphins. :th2thumbs:

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Sorry bro's.....but whining about "start times", "road games", "refs"...etc...... all makes the fan base seem sorry. Ask Russell Wilson...every field is 100 yards.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Bakergirl":17ksvxrq said:
If this team can't win at 10am they don't deserve a trip to the Super Bowl. It sucks that they have to be scheduled that way yes, but it's up to them to overcome any challenge, including this one.

Not bitching, I think we are up for the challenge but comments like this kind of get under my skin.

Good teams overcome bad calls. So does that mean we didn't deserve to be in the Super Bowl in 05?

We don't have one ten am game. If we did I would whole heartadly agree with you but we don't have one we have five. Last year one more win would have put us as the 2 seed with a Bi week and without the loss of Clemons and Haushka or injuring Lynch. So if we don't win all five do we not deserve to be in the super bowl? Keep in mind that was one caught pass against AZ, one bad call against Miami, Skelton staying healthy or Pete getting his time out in St Louis.

This is a game of inches and to expect us to win every game by a mile and overcome any amount of diversity is a little on the other side of unrealistic.

The odds of us winning all those games is lower with a 10am starts and it could be the difference between the 2 seed and the 5 seed just like last year.

Hopefully we can find a way to not let it dictate the outcome of the season for us but if we manage to get to the super bowl in spite of this schedule, it will be a major accomplishment that most super bowl caliber teams in past history have failed to accomplish.

I like our chances but I will never say that not accomplishing a task like this is proof we don't deserve to be there.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
"We don't have to lose anymore games guys....."
Pete Carroll

Vpk0718

Reaction score
49ers had five 10 AM starts, sure as hell didn't stop them

The whole "NFL is biased against Seattle with all the early starts" is stupid. They are biased against all west coast teams. Goodell wants to protect his precious big market east coast teams.

hawk45

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":qv83br0r said:
Sorry bro's.....but whining about "start times", "road games", "refs"...etc...... all makes the fan base seem sorry. Ask Russell Wilson...every field is 100 yards.

Yeah okay, every field is a hundred yards, so even a field laced with land mines wouldn't make a difference right? As long as it's a hundred yards?

That sort of comment just ignores reality. I travel regularly to the east coast and I'm wacked out in the morning until a couple days in, and that experience is shared with the rest of my co-workers who do that travel.

We do just fine, obviously, we have no choice, but we're not elite athletes trying to reach peak performance for four 15 minute quarters. Physical performance has a lot to do with peaking on a macro and a micro level.

And our east-coast customers, when they travel west, confirm that coming west is cake compared to when they return back east.

So it doesn't make anyone sound sorry except dishonest east-coasters. Honest east-coasters know damned well it makes a difference.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Vpk0718":30o1xq3k said:
49ers had five 10 AM starts, sure as hell didn't stop them

The whole "NFL is biased against Seattle with all the early starts" is stupid. They are biased against all west coast teams. Goodell wants to protect his precious big market east coast teams.
Acknowledging that "THEY" are biased against ALL West coast teams, and then saying that "Goodell wants to protect his precious big market east coast teams" doesn't sound stupid? LOL
Jet lag is for real, and having LIVED the going East, and through three hour time zone changes, while in the military back in the '60's', I can HONESTLY attest to how it taxes the mind and body.
I call bullshit on folks that don't understand, or don't care about the ineptitude of scheduling FIVE games that gives an advantage to East coast Teams.
Hell one or two early games is one thing, but FIVE?? :141847_bnono:

Bakergirl

Reaction score
RichNhansom":8smgxhxs said:
Bakergirl":8smgxhxs said:
If this team can't win at 10am they don't deserve a trip to the Super Bowl. It sucks that they have to be scheduled that way yes, but it's up to them to overcome any challenge, including this one.

Not bitching, I think we are up for the challenge but comments like this kind of get under my skin.

Good teams overcome bad calls. So does that mean we didn't deserve to be in the Super Bowl in 05?

We don't have one ten am game. If we did I would whole heartadly agree with you but we don't have one we have five. Last year one more win would have put us as the 2 seed with a Bi week and without the loss of Clemons and Haushka or injuring Lynch. So if we don't win all five do we not deserve to be in the super bowl? Keep in mind that was one caught pass against AZ, one bad call against Miami, Skelton staying healthy or Pete getting his time out in St Louis.

This is a game of inches and to expect us to win every game by a mile and overcome any amount of diversity is a little on the other side of unrealistic.

The odds of us winning all those games is lower with a 10am starts and it could be the difference between the 2 seed and the 5 seed just like last year.

Hopefully we can find a way to not let it dictate the outcome of the season for us but if we manage to get to the super bowl in spite of this schedule, it will be a major accomplishment that most super bowl caliber teams in past history have failed to accomplish.

I like our chances but I will never say that not accomplishing a task like this is proof we don't deserve to be there.

Maybe my wording was a little off there. My point is..if this team is hungry enough they will find a way to win in spite of odds, in spite of start times and schedules. On a side note...I wish Mr. Allen would pony up the dough to establish a practice area on the east side alla 49ers style. Somehow it feels like they get to cheat when it comes to their 10am east coast games by leaving early and staying there for a few days. It's irritating that they can do that and we cannot.

NYCoug

Reaction score
The whole thing is insane. It really is. But so is the idea and belief of "parity in the NFL."

It's a big deal that should get fixed immediately, but it won't. Luckily for us, John Schneider, Pete Carroll and company have built a team so strong that this can't and won't hold them down. I'm so glad those two took EVERYTHING into account and made bringing a Super Bowl to Seattle priority #1 in their lives. It shows.