Cameron Morrah to 9ers

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Zebulon Dak":26ix5bbt said:
What sucks is that I'm pretty sure he's a better pass catcher than McCoy. He must have lacked in the blocking or something.

I think McCoy is an emerging player who is going to get better and better as he continues to get experience and increasingly comfortable in the offense with RW. I also like the other 3 TE prospects we have on the roster. Helfet is an athletic player they keep bringing back. Fells the next ex-basketball player TE?, and McGrath who seems to have already earned his way into consideration. Not only numbers, but I like the potential there even thus far as well. If they draft a TE or even bring one in as an UDFA... the Hawks will have plenty of competition at the position. It will be exciting and interesting to see who the additions will be come next weekend.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
Morrah was an ok TE but really nothing super special to worry about. I think McCoy is actually the better all around TE but had that awful dropsies tendency. While he has not completely fixed that, he does seem to be improving on it so there maybe hope. I think they are looking to improve that position anyway so no big deal here, just opens up another spot for the competition.

Reaction score
themunn":b5pzkmvk said:
See where the 49ers fail

We pick up pro-bowlers like Julian Peterson and Michael Robinson

they pick up duds or past it players like Darrell Jackson, Ricardo Lockette & Cameron Morrah

You mean like Brett Swain, the receiver the Seahawks signed? The guy who couldn't even make the Niners roster? All teams do this... They sign camp bodies from rivals to get some inside info about their offense/defense then cut them come regular season if they can't earn their spot.

King Dog

Reaction score
I hope we're able to find a suitable replacement. TE's with Morrah's production don't grow on trees :sarcasm_off:

Tical21

Reaction score
I just don't get the want for another TE. We have a very capable, cheap backup and a very expensive starter. Why use a high resource for a 3rd TE?

A poster claimed Morrah wasn't much of a receiver but a good blocker. Yeah, okay.

If he can stay healthy, he can catch some balls and be a weapon for SF. I see him catching just enough balls to be annoying.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Tical21":2jcayat8 said:
I just don't get the want for another TE. We have a very capable, cheap backup and a very expensive starter. Why use a high resource for a 3rd TE?

We really don't have any needs that demand a high resource, but we only have two more years of Zach Miller. Combine that with a very talented TE class and no big holes, and TE seems like a good position to focus on in this draft.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
I think the logic in adding a 3rd in the draft is neither Morrah or McCoy are/were long term and we need to groom one. MCCoy is in his last year of his rookie 1.47 mil deal.
I don't see him coming back. We need to add one this year or next so if the best player available is TE, go for it.

Giedi

Reaction score
Bakergirl":1hgbbiqw said:
Morrah has appeared in 27 games in four years and has 16 catches for 194 yards.

Sad. This tells me if they sign him it's simply to gather intelligence on Seattle and for pretty much no other legitimate reason.
Some of the more knowledgable niners there say that he's a real good player. the problem with him, it seems is that he's been injured too much to have been a factor in getting a role in the teams he's played with.

60niners

Reaction score
Giedi":2zur39h3 said:
Bakergirl":2zur39h3 said:
Morrah has appeared in 27 games in four years and has 16 catches for 194 yards.

Sad. This tells me if they sign him it's simply to gather intelligence on Seattle and for pretty much no other legitimate reason.
Some of the more knowledgable niners there say that he's a real good player. the problem with him, it seems is that he's been injured too much to have been a factor in getting a role in the teams he's played with.
We've got a pretty stellar strength and conditioning program, hopefully he can benefit from that.

If he appears to be a natural successor to Delanie Walker I'm all on board. The asset that made Walker most valuable is his athleticism, and based on the posts in this thread it sounds like Morrah also posses unique physical talents.

Even the best rookie prospects aren't a guarantee, so I think I feel a bit better about bringing in someone with experience for the backup position then laying hopes on a rook.

Giedi

Reaction score
QuickLightning":2kd8n9z7 said:
themunn":2kd8n9z7 said:
See where the 49ers fail

We pick up pro-bowlers like Julian Peterson and Michael Robinson

they pick up duds or past it players like Darrell Jackson, Ricardo Lockette & Cameron Morrah

You mean like Brett Swain, the receiver the Seahawks signed? The guy who couldn't even make the Niners roster? All teams do this... They sign camp bodies from rivals to get some inside info about their offense/defense then cut them come regular season if they can't earn their spot.
I's sure what you say is a factor, but Morrah will be playing the H-back position on the 49ers, as others here have said. that means a lot of blocking more than catching which I think will fit in with his skill set there. .

hawk45

Reaction score
60niners":1z5r46sl said:
We've got a pretty stellar strength and conditioning program, hopefully he can benefit from that.

If he appears to be a natural successor to Delanie Walker I'm all on board. The asset that made Walker most valuable is his athleticism, and based on the posts in this thread it sounds like Morrah also posses unique physical talents.

Even the best rookie prospects aren't a guarantee, so I think I feel a bit better about bringing in someone with experience for the backup position then laying hopes on a rook.

Been a while since I've heard the "magic strength and conditioning program" homerism, thanks for the chuckle and good luck with that.

60niners

Reaction score
hawk45":hwmh5jzk said:
60niners":hwmh5jzk said:

Been a while since I've heard the "magic strength and conditioning program" homerism, thanks for the chuckle and good luck with that.
Several analysts as well as players from other teams around the league have commented on the level of conditioning of 49ers players, do you believe them to be wrong? Do you believe strength and conditioning is a scam? I don't know why that's an absurd topic.. The 49ers have been been relatively injury free since Harbaugh took over, and the injuries they did suffer were isolated incidents usually dealing with a specific play - ala Manningham getting his knee destroyed in Seattle.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
That "strength" program didn't do much to get San Francisco's scrawny first-rounder on the field.

60niners

Reaction score
DavidSeven":28e79f8u said:
That "strength" program didn't do much to get San Francisco's scrawny first-rounder on the field.
Yea you're right. I guess there's some question about his work ethic unfortunately. From what I understand, they wanted him to add weight and bulk and he really didn't do that. He has been working in Atlanta with CK this off season though since Feb, and I believe he's at the voluntary workouts that have started with the rest of the majority. At least I hope.