Before you use the '10 am starts is whining, get over it'. .

Hawknballs

Reaction score
lets not forget that the NFL felt so bad for those poor east coast teams that they gave them a helping hand in 09. . .

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4009230

Under the new plan, teams wouldn't have to visit two West Coast teams, just one, along with a team closer to the Midwest. Specifically, Oakland will be paired with Denver, and San Diego will be paired with Denver. In the NFC, Arizona and San Francisco will be paired as will St. Louis and Seattle.

its why we had to, for example, go on the road twice in a row now to pissburg.

So yeah while 10 am starts shouldn't be a problem for a good team, obviously the NFL thinks scheduling/travel are an unfair advantage in some cases. Just, ya know, not a disadvantage for us to have to play early games 5 times across the country.

lets not forget that of SF's two 10 am starts, one is against a crappy Jaguars team not even at their home stadium but in london. A team they could destroy by playing only their backups.

MrCarey

Reaction score
East coast bias will always be there. More fans.

jack_patera

Reaction score
you know, it doesn't matter who we play, what time we play, or where we play...we could play on the moon at midnight as far as i'm concerned...as long as we stay HEALTHY, teams better be concerned when on THEIR schedule it says vs/at seahawks...not the other way around...

the schedule is what it is, times are what they are, and each team plays 16 reg season games so...whatever..

like all teams, health is main component for how a team does, along with some other things but if you're healthy for the most part all year, your odds of winning go up and if you healthy and a damn good squad like my seahawks...well times, opponents, none of that shit matters

stay healthy my friends...coach has spoken...out

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seems to me there quantifiable proveable scheduling bias shown with the schedule this year.

Of course the eastern teams get a break with the travel time zone changes going west but for those Seahawks we'll give them 5 eastern timezone games beginning early so they can 'prove themselves'. Forget about fairness for them.

Of course when the team overcomes this disadvantage built into the schedule, the league will say: "see it doesn't make any difference", when we all know it certainly is an obstacle to overcome.

There is no western team that has a worst schedule as far as travel than the Seahawks.

That said I agree the team just needs to stay healthy and win those games despite the built in advantage the league has given the east coast teams.

Bakergirl

Reaction score
If this team can't win at 10am they don't deserve a trip to the Super Bowl. It sucks that they have to be scheduled that way yes, but it's up to them to overcome any challenge, including this one.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Bakergirl":3gcgp2si said:
If this team can't win at 10am they don't deserve a trip to the Super Bowl. It sucks that they have to be scheduled that way yes, but it's up to them to overcome any challenge, including this one.

Basically my point...it sucks but we will deal.

I just remembered when they did what was described in the article, I was baffled and it made 0 sense why they would 'help out' the east coast teams but do nothing about our travel/early starts.

I realize it's nothing to cry about. Hawks are going all the way. It's just BS and we obviously get screwed. we will deal. But the bias is offensively blatant.

just got my season tickets locked in today, after being a 5-game holder last year that bought single game seats to every other home game, so i'm "pumped" and "jacked" either way.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
I really hope that they blow out the thinking that 1000 starts are so horrible. This is a new team, we all know that and are starting to actually let that soak in to the way we think. While there has been some whining about 1000 starts, it's not as bad as in the past where that's all we'd hear about. Exciting times ladies and gentlemen, exciting times. Go Hawks!

ivotuk

Reaction score
John Clayton figures it will make it tougher to win. Las Vegas is figuring the 10am starts in to the odds, so yes, it does mean something. But we have a young team who will be less effected by the time difference.
Clayton also said it is a result of the Seahawks being a popular team. Networks want our team in their primetime slots, which is ten in the morning.

kobebryant

Reaction score
I have taken your request under consideration.

However, 10 am or 1 am doesn't matter. Doesn't matter who or where. The Hawks are gonna be pumping teams all over the place. No excuses, no whining.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
ivotuk":1j56di2h said:
John Clayton figures it will make it tougher to win. Las Vegas is figuring the 10am starts in to the odds, so yes, it does mean something. But we have a young team who will be less effected by the time difference.
Clayton also said it is a result of the Seahawks being a popular team. Networks want our team in their primetime slots, which is ten in the morning.
They are not stupid it seems. I have no worries, last year the 10am thing was becoming irrelevant and this year it will be a non-factor because Russell Wilson will make it so.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":sas8pyze said:
I have no worries, last year the 10am thing was becoming irrelevant and this year it will be a non-factor because Russell Wilson will make it so.

I think it was still a factor. Including playoffs, the Seahawks were 1-4 in 10:00 AM games last year. 12-2 in all other games and 3-2 in later road games. Seattle's only 10:00 a.m. win was a come from behind victory that required two game winning drives in Chicago. Very easily could have gone 0-5 in those games.

I think the Seahawks can definitely overcome it, but it's another obstacle. This issue needs to be addressed by the league, but they're obviously more concerned about their TV contracts than fair competition. I don't expect them to think twice about it.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
If you think it's not a factor at all, you're simply wrong. There is empirical evidence to support this all over the place based on 'science'. It's not "crying" to be armed with facts.

However

If you think it's not a factor because the Seahawks are good enough to overcome the issues a 10 AM start poses, you are most likely right.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawknballs":14ih7ch7 said:
If you think it's not a factor at all, you're simply wrong. There is empirical evidence to support this all over the place based on 'science'. It's not "crying" to be armed with facts.

However

If you think it's not a factor because the Seahawks are good enough to overcome the issues a 10 AM start poses, you are most likely right.
Lets just say I am in the second camp. The Seahawks like any team of elite level (New England, Pittsburgh and Baltimore when it counts or recent San Francisco teams make it a non-factor through sheer talent and will. The evidence is undeniable that West Coast teams are at a distinct disadvantage with 10am games but elite teams overcome it. If you don't then you don't deservie to be a Superbowl champion or a team regarded as elite or have any respect/hate outside your own direct fanbase. Just derision even worse just being ignored as nonexsistent.

formido

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":32jbzund said:
Hawknballs":32jbzund said:

However

Lets just say I am in the second camp. The Seahawks like any team of elite level (New England, Pittsburgh and Baltimore when it counts or recent San Francisco teams make it a non-factor through sheer talent and will. The evidence is undeniable that West Coast teams are at a distinct disadvantage with 10am games but elite teams overcome it. If you don't then you don't deservie to be a Superbowl champion or a team regarded as elite or have any respect/hate outside your own direct fanbase. Just derision even worse just being ignored as nonexsistent.

Sadly, even this isn't really true. Many, many teams have gotten their Super Bowls by having an average or easy schedule. In fact, there's no correlation to schedule difficulty and winning a Super Bowl and the public doesn't really factor in how hard your schedule was when they and the media brand teams "elite".

If I were on the team, I would definitely take the second perspective because sports science has demonstrated that it's the mindset of "winners". But as a fan, my mindset is irrelevant, and this schedule is a punch to the gut.

Not only does Seattle have 5 10 am starts, we have the biggest differential between home team winning record and road team winning record. The teams we play on the road won almost 60 percent of their games last year, while our home opponents only won a little over 40 percent. That's a really big gap. These two things together...smh. I find it extremely hard to believe it was an accident that the team with the best home field advantage has their scheduled constructed this way, although someone can probably tell me how it was.

Fact is, as fans, with this schedule, we now need to be prepared for the possibility of an underwhelming regular season. If there's much bad luck, like injuries or refs, there's a chance we only win 10 games. Or even 9? The margin for error has been taken away by the league. If Seattle wins the division with this schedule, we're talking about an all-time team.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Sadly, even this isn't really true. Many, many teams have gotten their Super Bowls by having an average or easy schedule. In fact, there's no correlation to schedule difficulty and winning a Super Bowl and the public doesn't really factor in how hard your schedule was when they and the media brand teams "elite".
This is very true. Also the season can do exactly like Denver last year a supposed hard schedule turning to pitiful because you actually have to play the games and things change the instant the season starts.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
The funny thing is, most good teams don't succumb to the early AM start phenomenon.

Back in '08, '09 and '10 we struggled on the east coast. But that was due to general suckness. We got destroyed by the Giants in NY, but we didn't fare much better with Charlie clipboard at Qwest the following year. We were awful everywhere on the road. Early starts on the road just meant getting a good jump on your yardwork before lunch.

We're a good team. This means nothing.

AgentDib

Reaction score
formido":32hxnzyd said:
Many, many teams have gotten their Super Bowls by having an average or easy schedule. In fact, there's no correlation to schedule difficulty and winning a Super Bowl and the public doesn't really factor in how hard your schedule was when they and the media brand teams "elite".

If I were on the team, I would definitely take the second perspective because sports science has demonstrated that it's the mindset of "winners". But as a fan, my mindset is irrelevant, and this schedule is a punch to the gut.

Not only does Seattle have 5 10 am starts, we have the biggest differential between home team winning record and road team winning record. The teams we play on the road won almost 60 percent of their games last year, while our home opponents only won a little over 40 percent. That's a really big gap. These two things together...smh. I find it extremely hard to believe it was an accident that the team with the best home field advantage has their scheduled constructed this way, although someone can probably tell me how it was.

Fact is, as fans, with this schedule, we now need to be prepared for the possibility of an underwhelming regular season. If there's much bad luck, like injuries or refs, there's a chance we only win 10 games. Or even 9? The margin for error has been taken away by the league. If Seattle wins the division with this schedule, we're talking about an all-time team.
I like your take on this. Players need to believe it doesn't matter for psychological reasons, similar to how Wilson says his height is a non-issue. As fans we can look at it more objectively and identify advantages and disadvantages, similar to how coaching staff factors Wilson's height in when they are designing and calling plays.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
formido":9weryvb0 said:
If Seattle wins the division with this schedule, we're talking about an all-time team.

If we win the division? Not very confident are we in this team eh? The division is ours until Wilson retires. Go Hawks!