Wall of Maul - It's time the D-Line got a Nickname

olyfan63

Reaction score
Most of last season, it would have been "Clem and the Pocket Protectors". Oh, wait, that's what the O-Line is supposed to do, be pocket protectors. Never mind. How about, "Clem and the Time Machine?" Oops. Not such a ring either. Oh, a name for NEXT YEAR!! I get it now... Let's go with...

THE FAST AND THE FURY RUSH!!

We have Wagner, Irvin, Avril (and Malcolm Smith when he's in) who are ridiculously fast for their positions. We'd like to see a fury rush out of the whole line, and we're expecting it from Avril, Bennett, Irvin, Clem when he's back, and with any luck some inside pressure from whichever DT's step up and bring it.
Hey, I tried. Maybe it'll get some creative thinking going. Overall, I agree with those who said the D-Line needs to *earn* their nickname before it can be bestowed.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Too many nickname ideas going around this place lately lol. One major nickname per team is enough for me.

garydrake425

Reaction score
I'm with the "Let me see something" group. I do have a feeling they will have a nickname very soon that they will have earned. Remember fellas "EARN EVERYTHING"

Laloosh

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":x5aq1g9d said:
They haven't proven anything as a unit. Too early for a nickname. Have to earn it.

Indeed. Units... Must earn their nickname, and I don't care to know the name of yours.

drdiags

Reaction score
Let them do something first. Bob and Groz were ahead of themselves with the whole Legion of Boom thing. At the time the DBs hadn't done anything since it was just TC when those jokers started the whole nickname campaign. At least the assumption is the LOB will be together for awhile, the DL is still in flux. Clemons, Avril, Bennett and McDaniels most likely aren't even with the team next year.

So no, it isn't time for a nickname. They haven't showed the ability to raise havoc with the pass rush and injuries kept them from shutting down the run toward the second half of the season after the 9ers gouged them in San Fran. Put up first and base it around a unit that will at least be around for more than 1 season.

Steel Curtain, Fearsome Foursome, Doomsday and Purple People Eaters were based on units that had a little longevity. Sack Exchange as well. I think you are reaching until the DL has 3+ players who are nightmares to handle on a week-to-week basis.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Shock2k":2qv1p71k said:
Good ol' .Net, buzz killin'. Have you seen how good Cliff Avril is! Sheesh, tough croud.

Ok I don't disagree, they haven't proved anything yet, but frankly I don't care, I'm getting geeked up for this season!

No offense, but there's multiple posts where every unit and every player has to have a nickname, and it's usually way before the player(s) have proved anything on the field. Personally, I have no idea why this is the case. Maybe because it conjures up good memories of the past and we want our players to be remembered? Whatever the case, good nicknames happen organically, as already mentioned, so let's just let it be.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Forced nicknames are not that great. I guess I don't feel like every position group should have a nickname. Kind of takes the cool out of Legion of Boom and makes the other nicknamed position groups look like wannabe's.

BASF

Reaction score
Since our 1996 line never got a nickname and I consider them one of the best groups to ever play the game, with multiple time Pro Bowlers at each position, no line we have deserves a nickname until we can field a better unit.

DynoHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2boc77ho said:
I like, the Seattle Seahawks d'line.
Where's your imagination? I like, the defensive front line of your Seattle Seahawks.

hawk45

Reaction score
I vote for "the invisible curtain" in the last 30 seconds of the game. Here's to turning that around, Avril, Bennett, Irvin, your move.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Do something first. Giving yourself an awesome nickname before you've even done anything is SOOOOO Vince Young circa 2011.

OrFan

Reaction score
I agree they need to prove themselves. If you really want to call them something before then, call them "Missouri," the show me line.