kearly's 2013 dream draft, final version

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think WLB and DT are way too big of weakness to pass on them until the late rounds, latest we wait is 5th round for either. I'd be amazed if we did get one or the other in the 2nd or 3rd.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
I have been inquiring about swoop for a while. Does he not look like a NE draft pick?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Fudwamper":19pls4yl said:
I have been inquiring about swoop for a while. Does he not look like a NE draft pick?
I think Swope ends up at Miami.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Fudwamper":20mlhe3n said:

Agree with this. If Swope doesn't make it to the 2nd, it's because of NE.

godawg

Reaction score
I don't understand why so many folks think Swope will reach the third round. He's not a secret Lithuanian track star. He killed the 40 at the combine and has plenty of great tape out there. We were all hoping to pick Bruce Irvin in the third round last year, and look what happened to that.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Excellent. I didn't notice "dream" draft in the title until after I looked at the selections. I hope your "what I think" draft looks similar enough to this.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
godawg":khhgcg7f said:
I don't understand why so many folks think Swope will reach the third round. He's not a secret Lithuanian track star. He killed the 40 at the combine and has plenty of great tape out there. We were all hoping to pick Bruce Irvin in the third round last year, and look what happened to that.

Several reasons:

1. He's a cold a@$ed Hon .... or so I'm told. So like a black QB has to be a running QB, a white WR has to be Wes Welker. Stereotypes. Gotta love em. Especially if you are an organization that doesn't believe in them.

2. Disbelief of the measurables. There still persists amongst just about everyone I've ever talked to -- a general sense that he killed the combine but his tape belies that. I see why the tape belies that. Or at least I think I do.

3. He's not a "#1 receiver". I'm convinced God kills a puppy any time some nutwad spews out that groupthink term. It's a complete WASTE of time to try and get the next AJ Green. It is the dress on the proverbial postseason pig. There is no correlation at all between having a #1 receiver and winning in the postseason. In fact just the opposite is true. Almost every single year.

So let everyone else trip over their meat trying to get 6'3"+ ceiling guys like Patterson or Hunter or gadget bubble screen princesses like Tavon Austin. And consider yourself fortunate that skill players that don't fit the mold fall into your lap every year.

4. Depth at desired positions. Swope is highly regarded by some. But the truth is, there is just a glut of talent. At important positions. It's a numbers thing really.

5. Demand. Last year was supposed to be this great year for WRs. Lots of them were taken in the first 3 rounds (13). So a lot of teams are going to be looking elsewhere to spend their draft capital. Not unlike this year's demand for QBs. It's very uncrowded this season, since so many teams have picked QBOTF candidates in both 2011 and 2012.

Next year, there will probably be 2-3 times as many teams in the market than there is this year.

As far as the WR class goes, it's a classic case of supply and demand. This year's class is better in my opinion. But there are fewer teams looking to spend early picks on WRs this year than last. Talent is going to slide because of need and recent investment.

WR, I believe, is one of those 'pockets' of talent that John was referring to. I'd think OT is another, as well as DT. That doesn't mean all of the R2 guys comprise those pockets of talent. Maybe he likes the early day 3 OTs better than other early day 3 positions. I do think there is evidence to suggest that they do set up their board in a breadth first fashion. Trying to get guys that will compete at every stage. It's not inconceivable that they pass on a OT they like at 56, to instead take a WR -- because they like the R4 OTs better than the R4 WRs. Thus getting 2 valuable upgrades instead of one and a camp body.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HawksSoc":2ehzvk34 said:
Scottemojo":2ehzvk34 said:
HawksSoc":2ehzvk34 said:
Hi Kearly, I was just curious as to who you'd see filling out last starting LB spot if this draft was to come to fruition? I can't catch alot of college ball here in Ireland, so is Dimanche the type of guy who could start, or is it Malcolm Smith's job to lose do you think? Thanks :)

Kip will answer you eventually, but I will tell you what I think in the interim.

First, don't feel cheated on Dimanche, that highlight video is about all any of us will see of Dimanche in college. Southern Illinois gets no exposure on national TV.

He was team captain.
The video shows a great special teamer.
It also shows a guy who reads the option plays really quick. That is probably the number one reason I like him, I have not seen a single LB this year who cut up the pistol look at the offense's point of attack like that.

If you watch the plays one by one, Dimanche does play in space very well. On a few of those plays, he shadows a slot or tight end receiver in coverage. My favorite thing he does. though, is attack and disrupt. He gets off blocks.

Naysayers will trot out the small school argument. I would counter with how fast his decision making is on video, which is a trait that transcends quality of competition. I would add that his measurables are stellar.

I don't think he will be around in the 7th, I think several teams are well aware of his talents. Wherever he goes, I am going to watch him with curiosity.

Appreciate the response, it's cool to talk to one of the godfathers of our fair forum :180670: Dimanche does sound interesting, the ability to diagnose the Read Option seems like a nice bonus, since we are playing Kap twice and Newton among others this year. LB's who can cover well are valuable too, I'll be sure to remember his name come the later stages next week!

Thanks for the props, but for the record, I ain't shit. Certainly not a godfather, just one more guy with too much time on his hands who proves it by racking up thousands of posts.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":zf0fy103 said:
3. He's not a "#1 receiver". I'm convinced God kills a puppy any time some nutwad spews out that groupthink term. It's a complete WASTE of time to try and get the next AJ Green. It is the dress on the proverbial postseason pig. There is no correlation at all between having a #1 receiver and winning in the postseason. In fact just the opposite is true. Almost every single year.

So let everyone else trip over their meat trying to get 6'3"+ ceiling guys like Patterson or Hunter or gadget bubble screen princesses like Tavon Austin. And consider yourself fortunate that skill players that don't fit the mold fall into your lap every year.

Brilliantly written. Much lolz.

Why are you not writing more? Seriously, start a blog.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
nanomoz":1548vq62 said:
Awesome work, Kip. I'd go crazy if we got Simon that late.

One thing though--you should go back and watch some Ahman Greene tape. Dude was an insane athlete.

I did. Michael's got him beat in terms of athleticism. Although Green did run a faster forty time in shorts.

Scottemojo":1548vq62 said:
Fudwamper":1548vq62 said:
I think Swope ends up at Miami.

Yeah, sounds like Swope is getting mid 2nd round talk right now, and there are obvious connections in Miami. Both the QB and the OC.

gmor

Reaction score
That would be a nice haul. My preferance for the DT spot would be a M. Hughes type rather than a smaller Simon.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":20igg6px said:
WR, I believe, is one of those 'pockets' of talent that John was referring to. I'd think OT is another, as well as DT. That doesn't mean all of the R2 guys comprise those pockets of talent. Maybe he likes the early day 3 OTs better than other early day 3 positions. I do think there is evidence to suggest that they do set up their board in a breadth first fashion. Trying to get guys that will compete at every stage. It's not inconceivable that they pass on a OT they like at 56, to instead take a WR -- because they like the R4 OTs better than the R4 WRs. Thus getting 2 valuable upgrades instead of one and a camp body.

Love this line of thinking.

we might pass on a slightly better player at position X because we can still get a quality one later whereas if we don;t get a player at position Y, there won't be any Y's later on good enough to compete.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Apparently marquardt went to skyline, so he is from here, which is kind of neat. Scott enyeart says he really wants to be a seahawk. 49ers showing heavy interest though (day 3).

Love the mock btw.

cover-2

Reaction score
Nice mock, the first 3 picks would bring in some more legit playmakers for the offense...IMO Robert Turbin is just a guy and is nothing special whereas Christine Michael if given enough carries could be the best RB in this year's draft.

Having Ertz and Swoop fall to us in the rounds that you selected them is wishful thinking, but if they did fall to those spots they would be steals.

I'm not sold on John Simon being a fit for the Seahawks, the Pete Carroll & John Schnider mantra is bigger/faster players on defense. I'm sure 3-4 teams are salivating at the thought of drafting Simon and sticking him as a rush OLB. Simon would be a perfect fit at OLB for a team like the Steelers.

Micah Hyde has not gotten the love from mock draft sites or from the Mel Kiper's of the world, but come draft day I could easily see a team selecting him in the 4th round. I agree that other CB's may be getting more attention due to the fact that they ran fast or looked good doing drills in gym shorts, but game tape does not lie. I don't think GM's and their scouts will not overlook the fact that Hyde has good size and he makes plays on the ball. Put him on a team that likes to play man-press or even try him at FS...maybe the next Jairus Byrd.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Kearly,
Love your excellent research, analysis, and articles. And golly gee, if we could actually get the pick value and robustness of the draft you propose, I would be blown away, and the first to praise JS/PC once again as draft day building block geniuses. It is a bit fantastic/optimistic IMO opinion however, 'cuz Ertz will be gone by 56. And so will Cristine Michael be, by #123.
(Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the two Zach's on the field, one running down each hash to pressure the safeties deep, while unleashing Harvin, Golden, & Baldwin underneath...)
Swope in the 3rd is certainly a perfect world ideal, but wouldn't it be more realistic to draft Ryan Swope at #56 to be certain, and then pick up Travis Kelce at #87, to essentially accomplish the same thing? I'd hate to lose Swope, while trying to greedily get Ertz on board first, and hoping hoping hoping Swope's still there waiting at #87.

Still... your final draft is one of the finest I've seen. Well done Sir!

Minor adjustments for value, need, and round might look like so:

kigenzun's final mock 2013
2-56: Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M. (For Russell to win the Heisman, and get drafted in Rd.1. Er, I mean... bring the Lombardi Trophy to Seattle... this is the player we need from this draft.)
3-87: Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati. (Same concept, different guy.)
4-123: Montori Hughes, DT, Tennesee-Martin. (NFL Bigger and Faster than Simon. Sorry mancrush.)
5-138: Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech. (Nastier than Breno. Quicker feet vs. outside speed rushers. And way cheaper in 2014.)
5-158: Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers. (If not Michael for insuring Marshawn, how about seasoning Harrison to replace Rice in 2014.)
6-194: Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State. (Why wait? Touchbacks for years, no momentum or extra yardage, & bring on the D, 1st &10 from the 20!)
7-214: Cooper Taylor, SS, Richmond. (A big safety in the pipeline for 2014.)
7-220: BJ Daniels, QB, South Florida. (Keep Quinn, upgrade Portis.)
7-241: Brice Butler, CB, San Diego State. (This year's conversion project.)
7-242: Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia. (More beef.)

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I am nervous that the 49ers are going to grab Swope with one of their 2nd rounders. I really don't want to see him go there.

SDHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":3gpx7zn4 said:
I am nervous that the 49ers are going to grab Swope with one of their 2nd rounders. I really don't want to see him go there.

I am thinking that the 49ers may try and trade up to #12 for Tavon Austin.

I think Swope is in the mix (along with Robert Woods and Quinton Patton) for NE's pick at #29.

Swope is most likely going to the Phins though early in the 2nd.

aawolf

Reaction score
kigenzun":4l2zmehj said:
Kearly,
Love your excellent research, analysis, and articles. And golly gee, if we could actually get the pick value and robustness of the draft you propose, I would be blown away, and the first to praise JS/PC once again as draft day building block geniuses. It is a bit fantastic/optimistic IMO opinion however, 'cuz Ertz will be gone by 56. And so will Cristine Michael be, by #123.
(Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the two Zach's on the field, one running down each hash to pressure the safeties deep, while unleashing Harvin, Golden, & Baldwin underneath...)
Swope in the 3rd is certainly a perfect world ideal, but wouldn't it be more realistic to draft Ryan Swope at #56 to be certain, and then pick up Travis Kelce at #87, to essentially accomplish the same thing? I'd hate to lose Swope, while trying to greedily get Ertz on board first, and hoping hoping hoping Swope's still there waiting at #87.

Still... your final draft is one of the finest I've seen. Well done Sir!

Minor adjustments for value, need, and round might look like so:

kigenzun's final mock 2013
2-56: Ryan Swope, WR, Texas A&M. (For Russell to win the Heisman, and get drafted in Rd.1. Er, I mean... bring the Lombardi Trophy to Seattle... this is the player we need from this draft.)
3-87: Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati. (Same concept, different guy.)
4-123: Montori Hughes, DT, Tennesee-Martin. (NFL Bigger and Faster than Simon. Sorry mancrush.)
5-138: Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech. (Nastier than Breno. Quicker feet vs. outside speed rushers. And way cheaper in 2014.)
5-158: Mark Harrison, WR, Rutgers. (If not Michael for insuring Marshawn, how about seasoning Harrison to replace Rice in 2014.)
6-194: Dustin Hopkins, K, Florida State. (Why wait? Touchbacks for years, no momentum or extra yardage, & bring on the D, 1st &10 from the 20!)
7-214: Cooper Taylor, SS, Richmond. (A big safety in the pipeline for 2014.)
7-220: BJ Daniels, QB, South Florida. (Keep Quinn, upgrade Portis.)
7-241: Brice Butler, CB, San Diego State. (This year's conversion project.)
7-242: Kwame Geathers, NT, Georgia. (More beef.)

Props to you. I agree with absolutely every pick in this draft with the exception being that I'd like for us to take one OLB--probably in the third or fourth---but, it would be hard to pass up on any of the players you mention to get one.