Seahawks re-sign Steven Hauschka

HawkFan72

Reaction score
This definitely makes sense if they want to go into the draft with no obvious holes on the roster. If there are no kickers they like in the 7th round, they have haushka ready to compete with whatever undrafted guys they wind up with.

garydrake425

Reaction score
Kickers are people too. ;) I'd sure like to see us be able to kick 50+ yarders if we have to. With this guy we might as well go for it from that kinda distance. Where's that damn rock at with are future kicker. :327321_Spy_23.22:

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Makes sense for Hauschka to compete with Carson Wiggs for the spot. I'm not sure they draft a kicker at this point but I guess a three way competition wouldn't be a bad thing considering they could pick up a kicker in the 7th round and still come away with a decent prospect.

kearly

Reaction score
Good news. Even if they draft a kicker and that kicker proves better, Seattle can always release Hauschka later and lose basically no money. I've always liked Hauschka. If I were the GM I would have signed him to a multi-year contract a while ago, though I completely understand the benefits of going "wait and see" with kickers since it's such an extreme buyers market right now.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm more than happy with hauschka as our kicker. he was perfect inside the 50, and I sort of like the approach of just punting it rather than going for 50 yard+ field goals anyways. if you miss, which is going to happen for every average kicker, you give up too much field. I would rather punt and play field position. If your'e going to kick it from there may as well just go for it with the offense we will have. Wilson/Rice/Harvin/Tate/Baldwin/Miller/Lynch. . . go ahead, try to stop us on 4th and 2 at the 38. Even if we don't make it, good luck against the defense.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Hope we draft a kicker. His limited range makes me go nuts on gameday.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
I wouldn't be sad if Hauschka was our kicker next season because of his success under 50 yds. But If we could find an accurate kicker with a boomer leg that would make me even happier. But even at saying that I don't know how important that will be given RW's ability to sustain drives. We just aren't use to that dynamic here.

sutz

Reaction score
Good news IMHO. At the very least, you need more than one kicker in camp, and like Kip said, there is very little monetary risk in signing him.

I wouldn't worry much, either, if he is our kicker next season and even going forward. He's a known quantity.

Atradees

Reaction score
Not a fan. Hauschka has a weak leg. Cost us at the wrong time last year.

Undrafted rookie or one of many sevenths.

Tical21

Reaction score
He is a customer of mine and has become a golf buddy, so I'm pretty stoked to be able to continue to use him to get me onto free courses :thirishdrinkers:

Football-wise, he's at least average, is he not? No real complaints. I think he can make longer kicks, just hasn't yet.

A

Anonymous

Weak leg or not, he was fairly accurate, and that's what it's all about.

I think if you can hit from less than 53 on a regular basis, you're good. I mean, sure, there are a handful of times that a really long field goal has changed the course of the game, but does the team that wins it because of a 62-yarder after giving up 4 deep balls and throwing 3 picks really deserve to win?

Nope, I'll take a kicker that can hit every time, from a max of 53-54, and play great offense and defense to win games.

kidhawk

Reaction score
kearly":xg42qsg8 said:
Good news. Even if they draft a kicker and that kicker proves better, Seattle can always release Hauschka later and lose basically no money. I've always liked Hauschka. If I were the GM I would have signed him to a multi-year contract a while ago, though I completely understand the benefits of going "wait and see" with kickers since it's such an extreme buyers market right now.

The bolded part above is not necessarily true. It really depends on what type of contract he signs. Sometimes guys get portions of their base salary guaranteed, in addition to the signing or workout bonuses that are often involved.

It's possible they could give him a minimal contract with no guarantees, but I just have this feeling that they were just waiting on him to get healthy before inking him to a deal, and planned to keep him around if he was able to get back to 100%.

We'll see eventually, and although I wouldn't say he has the strongest leg in the NFL, he's been a solid kicker during his tenure here, and with the quality of players we have on both sides of the ball, the kicking game with Hauschka shouldn't really be a major issue this year.