Wall of Maul - It's time the D-Line got a Nickname

Shock2k

Reaction score
We have the Legion of Boom, which got a nasty upgrade in Antoine Winfield, but what about the hawks defensive line?

Avril, Bennet, Clemmons and Irvin combined for 64 sacks over the past two years (and that's just 1 year for Irvin). We all know our pass rush was a problem, especially towards the end of the year. But this is going to be a nasty group throwing in Red, Scruggs and the rest of the gang.
I think it's time to get them their own nickname.

My vote is for the Wall of Maul, but I defer to the group.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
They haven't proven anything as a unit. Too early for a nickname. Have to earn it.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":yrxzw5pm said:
They haven't proven anything as a unit. Too early for a nickname. Have to earn it.
Indeed. Nicknames for units that do squat are stupid. No offense to the OP.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Our D-line dropped off after week 5 or 6, and never really came back. Sorry, but I don't think they warrant a nickname as of yet. Especially after Irvin got clowned at Atlanta. :(

bellingerga

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":118ca9ju said:

That's kind of where I'm at. The legion of boom EARNED that nickname quite obviously, I just have not been that excited about our Dline the last couple years. It's been good but underwhelming.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
They aren't nickname worthy yet, but with the recent additions and more through the draft by the end of the season they might be.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
Good ol' .Net, buzz killin'. Have you seen how good Cliff Avril is! Sheesh, tough croud.

Ok I don't disagree, they haven't proved anything yet, but frankly I don't care, I'm getting geeked up for this season!

Basis4day

Reaction score
Gotta agree with most everyone. Lot's of new faces on that line. Let's see what they can do and what their overall style ends up being.

DJrmb

Reaction score
BlueTalon":324ev3gj said:
IMO, nicknames are better when they just kinda happen. But that's not a bad suggestion.

I typically agree but Legion of Boom was a suggestion from a caller on the "Bob and Groz" radio show. They pitched it to Kam and just started using it with all their national media interviewees and it got adopted by the "Legion of Boom" a little later.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1368809-patriots-vs-seahawks-3-key-matchups-to-watch-for-seattle

- in the comments near the bottom of the page -

Come to think of it I think DangeRuss was the same? Maybe not though, I can't remember...

Seafan

Reaction score
How about "weakest part of the team". We'll see if they can shake that off this year.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
DJrmb":1uhr5xw1 said:
Come to think of it I think DangeRuss was the same? Maybe not though, I can't remember...

DangeRuss was his Twitter handle in college. If he got it from a fan, it was long before the 12th man cared about him.

Latest posts