The search for Brian Bosworth...pretty sad...

Hawk-A-Loogie

Reaction score
Wasn't old enough to see him play, however I did see the movie Stone Cold as a child.

Anyways, question. Who would you compare the Boz to today in the NFL as far as playmaking/style goes? jw

BlueThunder

Reaction score
I actually thought Stone Cold was kind of a cool movie. I thought Boz did ok in it. And I agree with the previous posters... He didn't want to suck... He wanted to be the best LB in the league. He was just damaged goods. He was over-the-top great at Oklahoma. I was so excited when we lucked out over long odds to get him in the supplemental draft at the time. If you ever read the book by Chuck Knox, "Hard Knox", they were jumping up and down like kids when we got him. It was that huge. But then Seattle Sports bad luck took over, and we were once again screwed... By that time we, meaning the overall Seattle sports fanbase, were just getting used to the Seattle curse...

On a related note, I remember how over the top Boz mania was. The most glaring example I remember was a Monday Night Football game against the New York Jets, and the marquee outside the Jets stadium read: TONIGHT: Brian Bosworth and the Seattle Seahawks VS the New York Jets!

Remember that? LAME! (though I thought it was pretty cool at the time) lol....

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
dunceface":2h57zph1 said:
they need to make a movie about this

Probably a better fit for one of those 30 for 30 ESPN shows. Might look a lot like the Marcus Dupree one.

Claden

Reaction score
I'd watch it. I liked him growing up. Didn't get to see much being in California. I didn't have his glasses, but I had the haircut.

olyfan63

Reaction score
BlueThunder pretty much nailed it. Boz was a real football player. It sucked that his body didn't hold up to the NFL.
To me, Boz's signature play as a Seahawk was the game against the Bears, where he not only blew up the running play, he tackled the RB, stripped the ball, and took it the other way for a TD. Boz was named the NFC defensive player of the week for that game. (or was it NFL Defensive Player of the Week.. someone correct that if I'm wrong)
That play is the first one on the "Bust" video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE59RG7TGZo

Richard Sherman has a lot of Boz in his game. And I don't mean just the game on the field. Both very smart men who know how to work the media. Sherman's learning through OJT at the NFL level, where Boz got the working-the-media education as a huge college star, but Sherm is a fast learner. Sherman's body appears to be holding up much better too, so he'll be around to back up his talk, which unfortunately, Boz was not able to do.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
IIRC, even though it was a loss, was Boz all over the field and had a big day based on # of tackles in the Wildcard loss in Houston?

sutz

Reaction score
ClumsyLurk":20iweb7d said:
He was in the Longest Yard? Wow! Didn't catch that.
He was in the remake. As a prison guard.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Hawk-A-Loogie":6ctypbg6 said:
Wasn't old enough to see him play, however I did see the movie Stone Cold as a child.

Anyways, question. Who would you compare the Boz to today in the NFL as far as playmaking/style goes? jw

Imagine Aaron Curry, but with instincts, timing and football smarts.

He had speed, strength and attitude(like Sherman). But was also really talented.

I remember watching him when his shoulders were completely failing him, he couldn't lift his arms past a certain point, which prevented him from wrapping up his tackles, so he was almost just bulldozing the ball carriers, running through them. Still made some plays like that.

djb28

Reaction score
Boz was one of my favorites and I still wear his jersey. I don't understand why so many cringe or make fun when his name is spoken? He was a beast on the field before the "Beast"

Shaz

Reaction score
Never liked Boz, never rooted for him, never cared for him

Overhyped player that got rightfully ruined by Bo Jackson

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Shaz":o9mydh4x said:
Overhyped player that got rightfully ruined by Bo Jackson

Sorry Shaz, you're wrong on this one. Talk about over-hype, that play was over-hyped.

It was a pretty typical tackle, both players fell into the endzone at an angle. Bo didn't run directly over him. Watch the play again, Bo actually hit the ground first.

Even from the article, Wyman,
Just one problem with that retelling.

"It wasn't that bad," Wyman said. "He didn't get his helmet across Bo. This was kind of a sideways-he-lost-the-stalemate battle. He got a lot of heat for that."

dunceface

Reaction score
Claden":3eo3ar7e said:
I'd watch it. I liked him growing up. Didn't get to see much being in California. I didn't have his glasses, but I had the haircut.

Hahaha I gave myself the lines in my head on one side with my dad's electeic razor before he caught me! I was like 4 or 5 :179422:

And it would be a perfect 30 for 30