Series of explosions at Boston Marathon near finish line

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
2 bombs at Boston Marathon
Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:35 am
  • Detail just coming in, many hurt
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Re: 2 bombs at Boston Marathon
Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:42 am
  • Sounds like 3 dead so far.

WTF is wrong with this world...?
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:44 am
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:46 am
  • fucking bullshit...are the assholes responisible homegrown or overseas?
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:48 am
  • jesus christ. saw the video too. unreal
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 3m
    RT @fara1: Police officer near Boston Marathon finish line: 'There are secondary devices that have been found and are unexploded.'
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:56 am
  • jack_patera wrote:fucking bullshit...are the assholes responisible homegrown or overseas?

I've got my hunches but ill wait for more information.
    A tragic incident!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• What is inspiring people to do this? I swear, it better not be someone who didn't get the point of Four Lions.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• It's a sick world we live in. With some really broken people. :cry:
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• AbsolutNET wrote:Boston.com News ‏@BostonDotCom 3m
    RT @fara1: Police officer near Boston Marathon finish line: 'There are secondary devices that have been found and are unexploded.'

Thank god...

Hopefully maybe they can recover some sort of useful evidence from those.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• jack_patera wrote:fucking bullshit...are the assholes responisible homegrown or overseas?

So far no one has claimed responsibility. If that continues to be the case, my guess will be a single person nut job. If it was a terrorist group, either domestic or foreign, we'll get a public claim of responsibility at some point soon I'm sure.

"The world today is such a wicked place."
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• I hate when things like this happen. Praying for those poor folks.
    Image Image Tanzania¹² Image "ALERT THE LEGION!!!"
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *
    * The Producer *

• Hopefully the only deaths turn out to be the bombers themselves.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• My mountain top in Alaska cannot come soon enough! Thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families :(
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• News I just saw said police have video of a man carrying multiple backpacks to the scene and also a Saudi National is apparently in custody in a hospital. Of course the first suspects in the OKC bombing were Middle Easterns, so maybe too early to say for sure this guy did it.
    "Are we rockin' and rollin' or what?!''

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• RT @NBCNews: Officials say that Boston PD are "guarding" a wounded man at a Boston hospital as a "possible suspect" -

The guy must have figured the blast would kill him too?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• AbsolutNET wrote:The guy must have figured the blast would kill him too?

Or he has seen too many movies, and figured he'd survive an explosion as long as the flames didn't reach him. :229031_shrug:
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• So tired of hearing about this shit.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• here is a cameraman filming right as it happens:

-- Seattle coach Pete Carroll, celebrating with his coaches after the Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Jets, netting running back Leon Washington on Saturday, via Seahawks.com
    MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• I'm going to wait for an accurate report to come out but right now it sounds like a terrorist attack which makes me want to cry...I spent 5 years in a fight against terrorist groups and radicals, hoping that attacks against our country would be over. That somehow we made a difference in how these radicals will think about attacking our land.

Perhaps my actions only encouraged radicals to continue fighting or perhaps as a country we took the wrong steps in the war on terror. Either way, I feel strangely responsible for this. Like as a solider & citizen who's job was to protect this country, we didn't do a good enough job. This is so sad. As a man who's been around bombs who's purpose is to kill innocents, with no real target, I feel for those in Boston today. No person should have to go through such a hateful, crime against its fellow man, to feel that fear.

I hope we continue to come together as a country and look at what the next best steps are to keep our countrymen and women safe from acts like this.

Scouts Out
    I am Godzilla, you are Japan!
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran

• Chris Daniels ‏@ChrisDaniels5 6m
    RT @nbcnightlynews: BREAKING: Boston Police Commissioner says there are no suspects in custody
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• It seems like a terrorist would have used larger explosives. Horrible tragedy today. A lot of sick people in the world.

Some some pretty graphic photos. I hope all those injured make it through.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Yeah who knows, could be a domestic idiot or a foreign idiot. Also, might be a lone wolf like that muslim soldier who shot up the Army base on his own, but in the name of the terrorists. Could be a domestic guy, but they usually target government targets, a public marathon doesn't seem to fit, but who knows.

MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• Here is a video of the explosions. Might be disturbing for some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 46MuD1pYJg

And I apologize if this is the same video that MLO posted. For some reason the embedded videos won't display on my device.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Recon_Hawk wrote:I'm going to wait for an accurate report to come out but right now it sounds like a terrorist attack which makes me want to cry...I spent 5 years in a fight against terrorist groups and radicals, hoping that attacks against our country would be over. That somehow we made a difference in how these radicals will think about attacking our land.

Perhaps my actions only encouraged radicals to continue fighting or perhaps as a country we took the wrong steps in the war on terror. Either way, I feel strangely responsible for this. Like as a solider & citizen who's job was to protect this country, we didn't do a good enough job. This is so sad. As a man who's been around bombs who's purpose is to kill innocents, with no real target, I feel for those in Boston today. No person should have to go through such a hateful, crime against its fellow man, to feel that fear.

I hope we continue to come together as a country and look at what the next best steps are to keep our countrymen and women safe from acts like this.

Scouts Out

dont do that yourself man...it's 'cause of cats like you we got freedoms today...perservere my man...stay strong...
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• jack_patera wrote:
    Recon_Hawk wrote:I'm going to wait for an accurate report to come out but right now it sounds like a terrorist attack which makes me want to cry...I spent 5 years in a fight against terrorist groups and radicals, hoping that attacks against our country would be over. That somehow we made a difference in how these radicals will think about attacking our land.

Scouts Out

dont do that yourself man...it's 'cause of cats like you we got freedoms today...perservere my man...stay strong...

Yeah Recon, I agree with Jack on this.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• What kind of warped mind could agree to do something like this to children. Praying for the victims.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!

Follow me on Twitter at @17power
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

• This is such a stupid act of cowardice. Internal or external extremist. Hope they find the joker(s) and just punishment is delivered.

ABC News has confirmed that one of the dead in Boston is an 8 year old child. Absolutely speechless. Praying without ceasing.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Mona you may be forgetting the Atlanta Olympic bombings..

To me this feels domestic and it feels like a couple idiots, not one on his own.

Any more word on the library fire? If there are secondary devices that fire could have been meant to bring in police and firemen.

Sad, sad thing to wake up to...
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Could've been North Korea because its suppose to be the celebration of national kim jung day or something like that. Anyways, they usually do something retarded on this day.

They just threatened South Korea again today and said they would take "Action Immediately" (referring to today).
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/15/us-korea-north-idUSBRE93D0DS20130415

I personally believe it was either a muslim or a american who hates the government and just saw this N.KOrea threat as a scapegoat to get the US to point fingers at N. Korea.

My other guess is that some radical tea party member, No Taxation without representation.
    It's Tax Day and we all know God Forbid a Tea Party member has to pay their taxes.
    Last edited by Axx on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Axx
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for all you and you and brothers in arms have done for us Recon. Wishing those that made it through with their lives a speedy recovery.
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Can't help but be aware a running event with more people coming right here in a bit more than 2 weeks. First sunday in May is Bloomsday.

37,000 participants in Boston, probabley closer to 50,000 for us. Perhaps not as many spectators. Told the wife imagine 50,000 runners/walkers boxed in downtown between buildings for the hour prior to the start is a nightmare to even consider.

Its building to building, body to body, down there waiting. If this is from the middle east that's what they want to do...attack our way of life.

Seems to me there would have been way more explosive power if this was from AlQuida. Either way it truly sucks.
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I was at the marathon today, my brother was one of the runners. I spent all day today- can't believe it was today!- walking up and down the streets there. I met my brother on Boylston street right after he finished. We were sitting down when we heard the explosions booming down the street. Nobody panicked, though, because it sounded like a cannon shot, like maybe it was part of the festivities.

Then we saw police officers running in a bee line down the sidewalk. A moment later, a girl came sprinting down the sidewalk in a panic, pushing people out of her way. That's when we knew something was wrong, but no one had the faintest idea what happened.

We left to find something to eat, heading toward the train station he was going to take home. Sirens filled the air. Obviously something bad had happened, but the news wasn't traveling. I walked into a restaurant in Copley Square to see if they could seat us and the place was jamming, the TVs still showing baseball highlights. That's when I started getting texts from my ex-girlfriend ("Are you okay? I'm watching the news now!") followed by the picture of the bloody sidewalk that was only a few blocks away.

At that point my brother insisted on getting to the train, even as I asked him if it was safe to take a train. We walked past the streets as they were being closed down without any idea about what had happened. The trains out of Copley were still running so he hopped on, and I walked back outside. By that point, there were screaming ambulances everywhere and a helicopter overhead.

I walked out of Copley and toward downtown, grabbing a slice of pizza on the way, and for the first time I saw the footage on TV. My phone was blowing up at this point saying it was confirmed as a terrorist attack, that other explosives had been found, and to stay away from mailboxes and trains. It was surreal, walking through the crowded sidewalks of downtown Boston and eating a slice of pizza like everything was normal, while wondering if the city was under attack and another bomb was about to go off, or if the city was about to get locked down and I'd be stuck there for awhile.

To my relief, my train left without any issue. I wasn't a hero today, sad to say. I didn't run to the hospital to offer to give blood. I was really confused, more than anything else. I went down there today to celebrate my birthday and watch my brother cross the finish line. Hell of a birthday! I'm glad my brother didn't slack off out there today, he crossed the finish line about half an hour before the explosions.
    TripHawk
    NET Starter

• TripHawk wrote:I was at the marathon today, my brother was one of the runners. I spent all day today- can't believe it was today!- walking up and down the streets there. I met my brother on Boylston street right after he finished. We were sitting down when we heard the explosions booming down the street. Nobody panicked, though, because it sounded like a cannon shot, like maybe it was part of the festivities.

Then we saw police officers running in a bee line down the sidewalk. A moment later, a girl came sprinting down the sidewalk in a panic, pushing people out of her way. That's when we knew something was wrong, but no one had the faintest idea what happened.

We left to find something to eat, heading toward the train station he was going to take home. Sirens filled the air. Obviously something bad had happened, but the news wasn't traveling. I walked into a restaurant in Copley Square to see if they could seat us and the place was jamming, the TVs still showing baseball highlights. That's when I started getting texts from my ex-girlfriend ("Are you okay? I'm watching the news now!") followed by the picture of the bloody sidewalk that was only a few blocks away.

At that point my brother insisted on getting to the train, even as I asked him if it was safe to take a train. We walked past the streets as they were being closed down without any idea about what had happened. The trains out of Copley were still running so he hopped on, and I walked back outside. By that point, there were screaming ambulances everywhere and a helicopter overhead.

I walked out of Copley and toward downtown, grabbing a slice of pizza on the way, and for the first time I saw the footage on TV. My phone was blowing up at this point saying it was confirmed as a terrorist attack, that other explosives had been found, and to stay away from mailboxes and trains. It was surreal, walking through the crowded sidewalks of downtown Boston and eating a slice of pizza like everything was normal, while wondering if the city was under attack and another bomb was about to go off, or if the city was about to get locked down and I'd be stuck there for awhile.

To my relief, my train left without any issue. I wasn't a hero today, sad to say. I didn't run to the hospital to offer to give blood. I was really confused, more than anything else. I went down there today to celebrate my birthday and watch my brother cross the finish line. Hell of a birthday! I'm glad my brother didn't slack off out there today, he crossed the finish line about half an hour before the explosions.

Crazy. Glad you and your brother are ok.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Firstly my thoughts go out to all those affected by this. Secondly,I am hard pressed to think of a more desperate act of outright cowardice. No room on this planet for these people!

P.S. CNN was just saying that there have been several amputations due to the severity of the damage.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

• The individual(s) the committed this heinous act are the worst type of cowards that exist. The minute you TARGET innocent people is the time your "cause" or "organization" or "country" loses any credibility it may have had. I am SO PISSED right now!

All .net members, rather you like my on-line "persona" hate it or are indifferent, do me and your country a small favor, DO NOT let incidents like this make you live in fear. Be sad, be mad, have empathy for the victims and their loved ones, just dont live your lives in fear because of the actions of a very minute number of purely evil people.

Give your family extra long hugs and tell them you love them, and LIVE your lives, that is the best revenge we can have against the evil cowards that committed this heinous crime in Boston.

Peace,
    Adam

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Recon_Hawk wrote:I'm going to wait for an accurate report to come out but right now it sounds like a terrorist attack which makes me want to cry...I spent 5 years in a fight against terrorist groups and radicals, hoping that attacks against our country would be over. That somehow we made a difference in how these radicals will think about attacking our land.

Scouts Out

What you did as a serviceman was noble and honorable and your motives good. It's just too bad a corrupt and or clueless government is pulling the strings. You are not at all responsible. You served and gave selflessly; don't let politicians and politics reflect on you and your part.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:The individual(s) the committed this heinous act are the worst type of cowards that exist. The minute you TARGET innocent people is the time your "cause" or "organization" or "country" loses any credibility it may have had. I am SO PISSED right now!

All .net members, rather you like my on-line "persona" hate it or are indifferent, do me and your country a small favor, DO NOT let incidents like this make you live in fear. Be sad, be mad, have empathy for the victims and their loved ones, just dont live your lives in fear because of the actions of a very minute number of purely evil people.

Give your family extra long hugs and tell them you love them, and LIVE your lives, that is the best revenge we can have against the evil cowards that committed this heinous crime in Boston.

Peace,
    Adam

AWESOME post!!

And Recon, do not let the bastards get you down. It does not fall on your shoulders or any other man or woman that was part of the effort to stop terrorism that this or any other event happened. It falls on the cowards that do this shit and no one else. Without the efforts of you and everyone else that has been part of trying to put a lid on this, it's very likely more incidents of this nature would've occurred.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Damn....My band will be playing at the Rock N Roll marathon in San Diego on the 2nd of June, this is NOT comforting and it is disgusting that violence is so prevalent in this world.
    R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Largent80 wrote:Damn....My band will be playing at the Rock N Roll marathon in San Diego on the 2nd of June, this is NOT comforting and it is disgusting that violence is so prevalent in this world.

Rock out with your Hawk out brother, don't let the cowards take that event away from you.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Largent80 wrote:Damn....My band will be playing at the Rock N Roll marathon in San Diego on the 2nd of June, this is NOT comforting and it is disgusting that violence is so prevalent in this world.

Will pray for your safety man. Your Hawkas need your positivity this coming season and we need you here.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Wow, one report says 25-30 people lost limbs... and the bombs were pressure cookers which at this time points to either the Taliban/Al Quaeda or someone who read the terrorist bomb manual on the internet (apparently it teaches bombers how to make them with pressure cookers full of shrapnel).

MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

• MLOhawks wrote:Wow, one report says 25-30 people lost limbs... and the bombs were pressure cookers which at this time points to either the Taliban/Al Quaeda or someone who read the terrorist bomb manual on the internet (apparently it teaches bombers how to make them with pressure cookers full of shrapnel).

Sounds like a white guy is the main suspect, more than likely domestic terrorism.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Apparently whoever it was used metal ball bearings in the pressure cookers, which explains the number of lost limbs. Also makes me think that this is someone who knew what they were doing and how to do it well.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Spounge84 wrote:Apparently whoever it was used metal ball bearings in the pressure cookers, which explains the number of lost limbs. Also makes me think that this is someone who knew what they were doing and how to do it well.

Actually according to a couple of ex-military bomb experts I heard on the radio over the past few days they said they knew it was a domestic (amateur terrorist) because of the placement of the shrapnel (low). Said from their experience that if it was al-Qaeda or a Taliban type group the shrapnel wold have been placed higher to cause a higher death toll from chest and head carnage, they said the death toll could have been much higher with a different bomb configuration. Real scary shit either way!

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• OH MY GOD it's Pehawk!
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• My thoughts go out to all those affected by this terrible incident. :(
    I am an American Football Noobie... Please be gentle!! :-)
    I'M IN AND I BELIEVE!
    LyndseyG
    NET Rookie

• AbsolutNET wrote:http://www.fbi.gov/news/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston/updates-on-investigation-into-multiple-explosions-in-boston

Pictures released by the Feds of a couple guys they are interested in

If you click on to the picture page, it really makes you realize how unrealistic all those crime shows are where they digitally enhance and clear up the images to make the face clear. I know that you can't, because the pixels simply don't exist, the data isn't there and the computer has to "fill in" the missing data which causes blurry images when blown up.

I bet someone in that crowd has a clear picture of one of these guys and simply doesn't realize it yet.

MLOhawks
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information