Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Have you ever had 1 Song Imprint on You?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:27 pm 
NET Ring Of Honor

I was listening to "Carry On" by Crosby ,Stills, Nash , and Young on my way home from a concert I went to at the old Olympic boxing Auditorium in L.A. We saw Ten Years After, Steve Miller and Quicksilver Messenger Service.

My best friend and I took acid for the first time at this concert...And after it was over....Neither of us were in any condition to drive, and in fact were going to be driven home by a friend and this song came on the stereo on the way home and to this day, I can transport myself right into that car, listening to that song, at that time.

Post subject: Re: Have you ever had 1 Song Imprint on You?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:32 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*

I remember jerkin' it to the "pop that coochie" music video when i was 12

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:38 pm 
* Handsome *

I used to date Bernie Taupin.

"Your Song" my ass, that's MY song!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:39 pm 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

Portishead "Roads" is the first one to come to mind. Everything stops when that song comes on and I'm back in 97 smoking a bidi, waiting for the sun to come up and for that pager to go off hahaha.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:08 pm 
* NET Starfish *

"Billy the Mountain" By Frank Zappa.

I remember when I first started going to music college, I was all into Led Zeppelin and Jimi and Cream and Floyd and stuff like that. All pretty standard, mainstream stuff. Went round to this guy Tom's house. Excellent drummer, hell of a cool guy. We got really high, and he put in "Just another band from LA", and Billy the Mountain was the first track. I didn't even know music like this could exist. The song runs for over 27 mins, and I remembered all of it from that first listen. Started me on what has become a rather unhealthy Frank obsession.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 pm 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

I have dozens and dozens of them to be honest. Off the top of my head, and even though it's still gets hella radio play (hey, they call it classic rock for a reason) but still triggers that emotional reminiscense was Heart's "Barracuda".

Yup, cruisin' Alki beach in a 63 convertible impala and being cool like i know we were and jammin' to our local girls.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 pm 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *

"Wooden Jesus" off the Temple of the Dog album.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:37 pm 
NET Veteran

as someone already said, there are thousands of songs that bring back a specific memory for me, comfortably numb when Dave plays his solo it makes me stop whatever it is I am doing just to listen to it.

Monster Magnet - Spine of God (song/album) brings back amazing memories doing acid with friends in the deserts west of phoenix :D

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:44 am 
NET Pro Bowler

m0ng0 wrote:
as someone already said, there are thousands of songs that bring back a specific memory for me, comfortably numb when Dave plays his solo it makes me stop whatever it is I am doing just to listen to it........

Maybe cuz it's just one of the greatest solos of all-time or something like that? :th2thumbs:

Yeah many songs do this to me too. Does anyone remember the record store chain Budget Tapes & Records here in Washington in the 70s and 80s? Their slogan on their TV ads was "music makes time stand still". I always liked that because I felt it to be very true.

Here's one example of many (and this one doesn't involve acid though I have a number of those too :mrgreen: ):
Every time I hear "Driver's Seat" by Sniff -N-The Tears it takes me back to driving with my first wife on Highway 26, just west of Beaverton heading to Cannon Beach for a weekend getaway. It came on the radio and we both liked it (I had the album) and we cranked it up and she sang the lead and I did the low harmonies.

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:04 am 
* NET Radish *

A couple of years ago at the family party in Kelso they did Karaoke all day and it was great.

And then they finished with Achey Breaky Heart and I had that discusting combination of notes in my head for about 2 weeks.

Never forgave them for ruining the day. lol

:les:

In real life there are dozens but my favorite was Neil Diamond's MORNINGSIDE. Almost as haunting as Springsteen's STREETS OF PHILADELPHIA.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:28 am 
NET Veteran

The entire album "We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll" by Black Sabbath. I discovered both Black Sabbath and "The Goo" (UW strain killer green bud) on the same day. I could "see" all the gears in the bus home from school's transmission with my ears when I would close my eyes. Sometimes just hearing Iron Man or War pigs on the radio can take me right back but that AWFUL "Changes" song will ALWAYS do it.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:29 am 
NET Pro Bowler

SeAhAwKeR4life wrote:
The entire album "We Sold Our Souls For Rock And Roll" by Black Sabbath. I discovered both Black Sabbath and "The Goo" (UW strain killer green bud) on the same day. I could "see" all the gears in the bus home from school's transmission with my ears when I would close my eyes. Sometimes just hearing Iron Man or War pigs on the radio can take me right back but that AWFUL "Changes" song will ALWAYS do it.

Sabbath has a new album coming out June 11th called "13". No Bill Ward (not necessarily a bad thing) but Ozz, Tony and Geezer are together. Some folks (record company types I presume) were invited to a listening party for it last week and all of them absolutely RAVED about it after hearing it. A couple of quotes from those that heard it:

"So, you’ll be very happy. I think you will find it to be an enjoyable reprise of the original Sabbath sound you liked. You’ll hear what Iommi’s old riffs sound like played with modern production. I think everybody will probably find something to like about it."

"…it is a VERY good record, certainly belonging of a place in the Ozzy-era discography. It is not mind-expandingly original, nor would I want it to be. They didn't reinvent the wheel here, they are the wheel".

"".........after 35 years the architects of heavy metal weren't in this for the payload victory-lap. They came to kill it. They succeeded."

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:43 am 
* NET Starfish *

I have never liked Ozzy Osborne, or Black Sabbath, for that matter. I've tried many times to like them, and just can't. Same with the Doors. And the rolling Stones.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 am 
* The Producer *
* The Producer *

peachesenregalia wrote:
I have never liked Ozzy Osborne, or Black Sabbath, for that matter. I've tried many times to like them, and just can't. Same with the Doors. And the rolling Stones.

well obviously it's because you're a racist.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

Boston - More Than a Feeling. There was a time where I literally must have listened to it 15+ times per day, for a few months straight. Still love it.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 am 
NET Pro Bowler

Zebulon Dak wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

well obviously it's because you're a racist.

Well racism aside ( :laugh: ), everyone's taste is different. I think the Stones are 'good but not awesome', love Sabbath and The Doors but only think Bruce is 'OK'. I have a cousin that thinks he's God so you know, as the song says "....wouldn't it be a real drag if we were all the same".

To the barren lands

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:09 pm 
* NET Starfish *

RolandDeschain wrote:
Boston - More Than a Feeling. There was a time where I literally must have listened to it 15+ times per day, for a few months straight. Still love it.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:25 pm 
NET Veteran

hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:
as someone already said, there are thousands of songs that bring back a specific memory for me, comfortably numb when Dave plays his solo it makes me stop whatever it is I am doing just to listen to it........

Maybe cuz it's just one of the greatest solos of all-time or something like that? :th2thumbs:

I can watch this for days :D

Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm 
* NET Recluse *
* NET Recluse *

SeAhAwKeR4life wrote:
that AWFUL "Changes" song will ALWAYS do it.

Ha! That is the best, worst song ever!

Whenever someone in my group of friends broke up with their significant other,
we would sing it at the top of our lungs in our best imitation of Ozzy.

Other than that, We Sold Our Soul is an outstanding collection of songs and peaches dropped even lower on my list
of .netters I can tolerate. However, he's leaping up my shit list!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 am 
NET Veteran

Zebulon Dak wrote:
Portishead "Roads" is the first one to come to mind. Everything stops when that song comes on and I'm back in 97 smoking a bidi, waiting for the sun to come up and for that pager to go off hahaha.

Outstanding song.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:02 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

I was nine in 1982, we took a trip from WA to Greely, CO in the 1979 AMC Concord woody wagon to see relatives. Two weeks of the best arcade experiences of my life (I lived for video games back then). "Take It Away" by Paul McCartney was a big hit that month on AM radio.

I only hear that song once in a great while (not surprising, it's not that great of a song) but when I do I'm in Raiders arcade in that college town in a sitdown cabinet of Sega's Turbo enjoying a life that no longer exists.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:02 pm 
NET Pro Bowler

m0ng0 wrote:
hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
m0ng0 wrote:

I can watch this for days :D

Saw them twice on this tour, San Diego and Pasadena April of '94 (Aw shit that makes me feel old cuz it was 19 years ago.....SIGH).
Gilmour is one of my all-time favorite guitarists. His tone, phrasing and ability to create atmosphere is spectacular.

To the barren lands

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]