Kiper picks I like (for once)

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hair Boy air bag did a "play the GM" three-round mock draft for ESPN Insider, instead of his usual projection-based mock.

For the Seahawks, he picked DT Kawann Short in the 2nd and TE Gavin Escobar in the 3rd.

I could like those picks in a hurry.

kearly

Reaction score
Something tells me that Seattle wouldn't be that conventional. That said, I'd be very happy if our draft started that way.

All things being equal, Seattle wants a DT who can push the pocket. That's not Kawann Short's MO. That said, we can't just overlook Shorts' ability to shed blocks, which is IMO the best of this entire DT class. This guy is a TFL machine especially against a ZBS running game. He knows how to slip around blocks and get sacks. He's not a "component" pass rusher, he's a cleanup hitter. Maybe that's not exactly what Seattle wants, but make no mistake, Kawann Short as a Seahawk would be a playmaker on the DL. He'd be one of those guys that gets over-rated in a hurry because fans love his big plays while failing to notice the minor things he doesn't excel at. The kind of player that PFF wouldn't rate high but could still make a pro-bowl.

His ability to anchor is average at best and his effort isn't always there, and he's not a pocket pusher, but he's still a 1st round talent IMO, and a huge steal at #56 if Seattle is willing to compromise a little for a talent like Short.

Escobar ran a surprisingly horrible 40 time, but he's fast on tape and has excellent hands and body control. Watching him on tape he looks like he's very likely to become a future household name in fantasy leagues. He's not a terrible blocker by H-back standards and doesn't telegraph intentions by being out there. It would not shock me if he was our 2nd round pick, so getting him in the 3rd would be hard to complain about.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd be happy with that too. I fell like neither will be there though, and similar to what Kearly said it seems too conventinal. I could see them passing on short for a more unheralded DT. I'd really like Jesse Williams he seems like a tough SOB who would probably liek to play on the West coast as he is from Austrailia.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
kearly":2lx7y5hu said:
Something tells me that Seattle wouldn't be that conventional. That said, I'd be very happy if our draft started that way.

All things being equal, Seattle wants a DT who can push the pocket. That's not Kawann Short's MO. That said, we can't just overlook Shorts' ability to shed blocks, which is IMO the best of this entire DT class. This guy is a TFL machine especially against a ZBS running game. He knows how to slip around blocks and get sacks. He's not a "component" pass rusher, he's a cleanup hitter. Maybe that's not exactly what Seattle wants, but make no mistake, Kawann Short as a Seahawk would be a playmaker on the DL. He'd be one of those guys that gets over-rated in a hurry because fans love his big plays while failing to notice the minor things he doesn't excel at. The kind of player that PFF wouldn't rate high but could still make a pro-bowl.

His ability to anchor is average at best and his effort isn't always there, and he's not a pocket pusher, but he's still a 1st round talent IMO, and a huge steal at #56 if Seattle is willing to compromise a little for a talent like Short.

Escobar ran a surprisingly horrible 40 time, but he's fast on tape and has excellent hands and body control. Watching him on tape he looks like he's very likely to become a future household name in fantasy leagues. He's not a terrible blocker by H-back standards and doesn't telegraph intentions by being out there. It would not shock me if he was our 2nd round pick, so getting him in the 3rd would be hard to complain about.

Good stuff, kearly.