How close have you been to the NFL? (offseason time waster)

How close to the NFL are you / football experience

• (Mere mortal) Just a fan. Nothing more

Votes: 98 44.5%
  • Played High School Ball

Votes: 66 30.0%
  • Played College Ball

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • NFL player (on a roster at all - even if you never made the 53)

Votes: 8 3.6%
  • I have a friend/family member in the NFL

Votes: 33 15.0%

• Total voters

GOSeahawks

Reaction score
I helped a Seahawks defensive tackle put together part of his home recording studio. It was in the pre Hasslebeck era and I can't remember his name. He was soooo huge next to the rest of us mortals.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":35w6aeos said:
In a torrential downpour, on a field 3 inches deep with mud, he somehow was completely unaffected by the conditions. Everybody else was slogging around, barely able to take a few steps without falling on their asses, and he just sprinted and bounded around that quagmire of a field like he was a gazelle on the high plains. It was impressive... and demoralizing. :)

It's the truth, the difference between us and them is really just that. Athletic freaks of nature. It seems when ever you see old High School film of some NFL player (who doesn't even really need to be a superstar) they are completely dominating, out running and out manuevering everyone on the field from both teams. They stand out on the field visually usually in size and always in speed. It's like a 17 year old playing against 11 year old pop warner players.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
Coached YMCA basketball with Chris Kuper's (starting guard for the Broncos) dad.

Went to jr high school with Mark Schlereth.

Was a bartender at the Hi Neighbor Tavern in Spokane when Mark Rypien was in his heyday with Washington. Him and his high school buddies came in all the time.

mikeak

Reaction score
Shadyhawk182":8wzlt6k3 said:
I played little league baseball with Randall Cobb and highschool football. His parents were my parents childhood best friends so when he comes to town we hang out sometimes. Also. When Peyton was qb for Tennessee they had to do community service to be on the team and Peyton worked at the boys and girls club that my mom was the manager of. When he comes to town sometimes he invites our family to dinner....its a littlw weird though because hes a grown man but still calls my mom "miss Linda".

Next time you should lead with Peyton Manning :D -- he usually doesn't go down as the "also guy" .....

cool story

and cool stories by everyone else

I have a really really big screen TV so with HD it feels like I spend many Sundays right next to NFL players but that is as close as I get

A

Anonymous

A Mere Mortal here, but have been a diehard tackle football fan since grade school, working as a sideline manager for the BEHS Tigers all through high school. I was the guy that dried the footballs and tossed them back to the refs when it was raining, and would keep track of kicking tees and stuff. Have been the guy that was too small and even now I only weigh about 145.

I have had numerous encounters with Seahawks over the years, and the first was 1979-80 (ish) and got to meet Jim Zorn and Steve Largent and shake their hands. Cool guys. Didn't play catch with them or anything, but chatted with them for a good while among a group of about 10 kids. That's when I realized they weren't THAT big, and were normal people just like me.

As an adult, I was a multi-unit area supervisor and a general manager for a popular fast-lube company throughout the mid 90's (the one with the big green "Q" on the sign). One of our busiest shops was the 4-bay on the corner of NE 20th and 140Th NE that did over 100 oil changes a day. We changed oil on numerous Seahawks player's personal vehicles over the years, and I had the unique opportunity to speak to some of the guys for a half an hour or more while they waited.

I've shaken the hands of, had conversations with, and received autographs from: Joey Galloway, Anthony Simmons, Blair Bush (Lynnwood), Sam Adams, Brian Blades, Trent Dilfer, Ahman Green, Shawn Springs, Jacob Green, Darrell Jackson, and bunch of others. Believe it or not, there were a lot more Suburbans and pickups driven by players than Corvettes or Cadillac's. It's probably Escalades and Denali's now.

I was also a frequent patron at the Lake Union Hooters back in the day, and had the privilege of watching a Monday Night Football game about two tables away from Blades, Galloway, Springs, Simmons (and about six others). Chatted with Brian Blades for a good while. I still have a deflated Hooters rubber football with all the autographs on it.

I guess you could say I lost my "star-struckness" at an early age, and as time went by, I lost any over-excitement that prevented me from tactfully approaching and engaging players I recognized to talk with them. Having it be your job to talk to them definitely helps, but most of those guys want to stay in the weeds while they do those "normal people" tasks. The secret is to act like it's no big deal by greeting them quietly and respectfully, without asking them for anything. Just like anybody else, people open up after they get to know you're not a psycho or a stalker. Besides some of the guys that are more skittish and avoid people (like Marshawn) most players are happy to chat with somebody who respects their game and doesn't draw a crowd while they are out and about.

I've run into a few Texans players while down here. Met David Carr at a golf store, and got to meet Dunta Robinson at a bar in The Woodlands right before he left for Atlanta. Dude had a smoking hot girl with him!

impacthawk

Reaction score
I played HS ball at Kentridge during 80', 81' and 82' seasons. I started at TE and DE my Junior and Senior seasons. We went to the State Championship at the Kingdome in 1981 and lost to Richland. I went on to play two seasons at Western Washington University, until the injury bug got the best of me.

I have had a few brushes with players and coaches over the years. I have met the legendary coach of the Dallas Cowboys, Tom Landry and QB Roger Staubach. I was able to play catch with Warren Moon at a work out at Husky Stadium on a 1983 recruiting trip. My favorite story is my most recent.

My family and I were vacationing in Oahu this past January and were staying at the JW Marriott at Ko' Olina. This is the same hotel as the whole NFC team stays. My son and I had rented a two man sea Kayak for an hour out in the Lagoon in front of the property. Several players had done the same. We had rowed out the the far side of the Lagoon and were approached by two players and their wives. (Turned out to be Chad Greenway and London Fletcher). They were playing around and asked us if we wanted to race! I couldn't believe the fun. Now I'm 48 years old, but in okay shape and my son is only 9 years old. I'm In! So we start racing to the other side of the Lagoon. Maybe 200 yards.....and We Won! Great time for Logan (my son).....After we won, he yelled out Go Seahawks!...everyone laughed.

The good part is that on the way back in to shore, Russel Okung and Russel Wilson and a few of their buddies are standing on the shore watching Okung's mom and her friend trying to figure out their own kayak....these women were a crack up for sure. I helped his mom get straightened out and on her way, so when I came up on to the sand with Logan, Okung thanked me and I shook his hand and Wilson as well. We chatted for a couple of minutes.....told them about my life long fandom, and wished them well for the game. We ran past several dozen other players while we were there, but we usually don't bother others privacy, so we left them be. Good Times.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
My 1st cousin played TE for both the Bills and the Steelers.
My brother was starting LT for Purdue when Mike Alstott played there.
My son is related through his father to TJ Duckett.
The kid could not play at all. lol. Maybe my grandchildren will have "the gift".

509hawk

Reaction score
I went to high school with Doug Baldwins college roommate/fellow WR at Stanford. I am friends with his sister.

That's about as close as it gets lol.

Basis4day

Reaction score
My dad was at a political benefit in Oklahoma also attended by Steve Largent. I asked him to ask about Dilfer or Hass being the future for the Seahawks.

My Dad got his chance, in the Men's room at the urinal. Largent was a Hass fan.

Jimmy

Reaction score
Played H.S. ball...I went on an Alaska cruise in 06, it was a Seahawk cruise and I had no idea, lucked out really. Played craps with Ken Hamlin, I was wearing my UW hat and when I rolled he would say "cmon UW" it was pretty cool, funny part was when his girlfriend came up next to him and he crapped out, told her to get he hell out of there she was bad luck! I am pretty sure she was with him about 8 months earlier when he got smacked in the head ending his season.

I also played some slots next to Seneca Wallace, I did not say much but did ask him if he was going to re sign since at the time he was a free agent, he told me he had talked to Tampa but was pretty sure he would be back.

MrCarey

Reaction score
Richard Sherman, Doug Baldwin, Kam Chancellor, Bruce Irvin, and Earl Thomas have all retweeted me or responded to me. I'm kind of a big deal.

WSUhawk4life

Reaction score
I chose the option of having a friend or knowing somebody in the NFL.

A guy named David Paulson is a tight end for the Steelers, he played for the Oregon Ducks. He made the 53 man roster this last year and I cheer for him to get the ball every time I see him on the field. LOL they actually gave a heathhhhhhh chant thinking it was Heath Miller making the catch, both are white haha.
He went to my rival high school, also played a lot of baseball and soccer with him. Dude was super nice and never stuck up about his skill being above everyone else.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1qxj5nf2 said:
Played on my 9th grade team.

I did go to high school with Jason Scukanec, now a radio host here in Portland. His NFL stint was pretty short due to injuries I guess. I wouldn't say I knew him well though, we had a few classes together.
If you ever are in touch with him, tell him as a listener his distaste for the Seahawks is BLATANTLY obvious and VERY tiresome. Maybe he needs to come over to our side or at the very least hide it better.

muxpux

Reaction score
I've partied with a guy who played for the broncos when they won the Super Bowl. Wearing a donkeys SB ring felt so wrong but man that thing was sweet.

As for myself I played some in middle school, but that was it