Which players are you hoping for the most, and why?

kearly

Reaction score
You can post as many as you want, provided that you give a brief rationale for each (otherwise you're just pulling names out of a hat and that wouldn't be fun). Remember, these players should be your favorites, not necessarily players that will go super early or be drafted at all. Mine in no particular order:

WR Ryan Swope: People laugh at the Wes Welker comparisons, but Welker wasn't the force in college that Swope was. I look at Swope and see a very complete player with elite intangibles, the kind that goes on to be great and everyone claims it was obvious in hindsight.

DE/DT John Simon: Another fantastic player with elite intangibles that isn't getting a fraction of the hype he deserves.

RB Christine Michael: I'm not saying Michael isn't without his issues, but physically, his upside is AP. It's scary high. Very few RBs have looked as explosive on tape like he does, and no RB in combine history ever posted a better vertical jump. And consider that Michael did that at 220 pounds. [spacemindblow.gif]

RB/WR/KR Denard Robinson: I'm skeptical about Robinson as a WR, but I love him as a KR or RB. He has elite athleticism and will be one of the more exciting mid-late round prospects in this draft.

QB BJ Daniels: He ain't RW, but I discovered Daniels while scouting a 1st round DB. Even before I tuned into his highlights I'd already been sold on him. And I've probably never seen a better highlight package from a likely UDFA QB in my life. Watching Daniels is a lot of fun.

QB Matt Scott: I've cooled on Matt Scott slightly, but he's still among my favorites. He's physically the quickest QB in the draft, and there are moments when he's mentally quick too. I love his arm talent and ability to check reads. I kind of get a "Seneca Wallace" vibe from him though in terms of decision making. Right now- I'd probably comp him to Aaron Brooks. Keep in mind, the team that drafted Brooks was Green Bay, and they flipped him down the road for a profit.

CB Robert Alford: He has major issues in run support, but his coverage ability is so much better than I was expecting. IMO, he's the best pure coverage corner in this draft, though Dee Milliner is fantastic overall. If Seattle could coach him into run support competence, Alford would be a major coup even if they take him early.

QB Tyler Wilson: Opinion is mixed on Wilson. What I see is a classic "Matt Hasselbeck" type QB. People didn't think Hasselbeck was mobile either. If you watch him from 2002-2005, he surprised with his mobility. Hass and Tyler Wilson may not be "dual-threats", but they can get cheap first downs with their feet and are highly cerebral QBs.

LB Zaviar Gooden: Gooden has some warts on tape- namely that he over-pursues in run support, shies from contact, and isn't a great tackler. That said, Gooden looks freakishly fast on tape; had he run a 4.39 at the combine I wouldn't have called BS on it. He's that quick. I really like his upside at WILL while understanding full well that you aren't getting a sure thing if you draft him. I almost didn't include him, but something tells me Pete would get the most out of a player like Gooden.

Luke Marquardt: With Seattle essentially eliminating the need for Armonty Bryant by stockpiling defensive ends, Marquardt becomes my new small school mancrush. I was a Nate Solder doubter in 2011, and I think the lesson I learned from that episode is not to doubt a player with elite physical tools that plays with elite nastiness. Nobody in this draft comes close to the package of physical + nasty that Marquardt brings. I think it's somewhat stunning that he might end up a mid-round pick. He fits PC/JS and Cable like a glove. He's hands down my favorite tackle in this draft that is a realistic draft pick for the Seahawks.

There are MANY other players I like (Jayson Dimanche, Menelik Watson, DeAndre Hopkins, etc), but the players above would probably jolt me the most if they ended up Seahawks.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Plus, I really hope we draft Daniels so I can use this image on the blog:

1582313.jpg

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the two players I want the most are Matheiu and Chase thomas.

We can gamble a little this year and Matheui (if i spell it a bunch of ways one of them is bound to be right) is a play-maker. Plus we could use him on returns so Harvin isn't taking the extra hits.

Chase Thomas is just the sort of LB I like that is smart and can diagnose plays, maybe no the most physical dude on the field but we have an interchangeable defense to stay physical at the line and an obviously big secondary, I think we can afford rangier more cerebral LBs since so much of what they do has to do with diagnosing run/pass.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Kiko Alonso and Kyle Long. Because yes, i'm an Oregon home, but more importantly because I think both will be great professional football players.

Also either Denard Robinson (3rd or 4th round) or Ace Sanders (5th round or lower). Exciting, sudden impact football players.

Also Christine Michael, for no other reason then for what he was saying about us on Twitter the other day. Sounds like he wants to be a Seahawk, thats enough to make me want him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
There are some definite wants:

Ryan Swope. I'm right there with you. I have a flat out unabashed man crush on this dude. In terms of how he'd compete/upgrade the WR position, I'd consider the following:

1. He'd be the fastest WR on the team. Maybe on the entire team.
2. He'd be one of, if not the best blocking WR on the team.
3. He'd be one of the best pure pass catchers on the team the day he signs.
4. He'd undeniably be the best broken play/ad lib player on the entire team not named Wilson

There are a multitude of ways he improves this team. But I think #4 is far and away the most compelling. I would expect no less than 4 broken play TDs between him and Russell in his first year. This past year, it was maddening to see Tate/Rice and Baldwin generally stop their routes and clumsily try to figure out what to do when Russell did his Benny Hill thing. Swope shows the best instincts I've ever seen in terms of being able to sense when a play is going to break down, and to know where the green grass is and how to get there.

For this team, he's my best case perfect fit for Seattle at any position.

Terron Armstead. This is a weird pick for me to explain. But I'll try.

When I watch his tape, I'm not exactly sure what I'm seeing. This is a guy who really just moves fluid -- like a RB or something. I mean he doesn't kick slide. He doesn't move like an OT. And I can't tell if it's just that he doesn't practice at it. Or if he's so athletically gifted that he doesn't need to.

He is without question a World Theory guy. He has supernatural quickness in the feet. So quick that it really does appear that he authors his own personal brand of technique.

I never had a chance to look at Walter Jones tape for Florida State. So I can't compare the two. I've not see any prospect whose footwork has been so good. His feet move like that of a 200 lb back.

Here's my no particular order list:

• WR:

• Aaron Dobson. Outside of Swope and Hopkins, I think Dobson has the best receiving skills in this draft. I am a big believer in seeing receiving skills. It's not something that I believe is reliably coached up. Certainly not after a college career. Dobson has great skill at catching the balls out of the air aggressively.
  • Chris Harper. He is a lot like Dobson. Shows great consistency and ability to attack the ball. There are countless catches on tape where he just posts up/blocks out or outfights corners for the ball. He had the misfortune of playing with Collin Klein who is purely awful as a QB. But the flip side is, you can plainly see a WR who is incredibly adept at making his QB look good. That is a trait that I truly believe is the gold standard for Seattle WRs. Harper has excellent receiving skills, good size and top 10 NFL physicality right now.
  • DeAndre Hopkins. Great receiving skills. This draft is ridiculously ripe in really good skill prospects. He is just outstandingly smooth. He has a true knack for getting open and like all 4 WRs I've listed, he attacks the ball.

Each of these 4 guys really visibly treat the ball like it's the most important thing in the world. The skill level between these 4 guys is just truly outstanding. All four have more skill than any WR taken in last year's draft hands down.

• OL:
  • Jordan Mills. I am impressed with this guy. Solid feet. Plays with a bit of a Giacomini chippiness.
  • Luke Marquardt. I know Cable doesn't shy away from big guys. I would question how a tackle of his height would fare trying to execute a ZBS cut block. Still, I've liked him for awhile and he has been rising fast in the last 2 weeks.
  • Brennan Williams. Smooth tackle with good athleticism and physicality. Like him as a 4th-5th round OT alternative

• TE:
  • Justice Cunningham. I see a lot to like from this guy. I like him as a medium term replacement for Zach Miller, should his resigning/restructuring become a problem. Very good blocker. I think his receiving skills are underrated. He doesn't have the elusiveness or speed of Miller (although surprisingly, Miller ran a 4.87 at the combine compared to Cunningham's 4.94 -- so they aren't that dissimilar). Very good inline blocker who has outstanding hip flexibility and shows outstanding lateral quickness. Used frequently as a fullback to great success.
  • Kyle Juszczyk. Good flexible alternative that could be paired with Robinson in the short term, while providing long term replacement value at FB. Was a standout at the Senior Bowl which we all know Pete and John value highly as a draft tool/medium.

• RB:
  • Christine Michael. I gained a quick appreciation of his, while studying Swope. Looks like a quality prospect at a position needing eternal depth. I do think that not having a third back limits Pete. A physical prospect that has explosive talent. This is a team that needs good starter quality depth. I just don't find it at all likely that Marshawn avoids injury yet again. His style, and the carries is going to catch up with any man.

• DT:
  • Sheldon Richardson. I have to agree with Rob on this. There are very few times where prospect and need so conveniently marry. It's a shame that it won't happen barring some freakish trade. I truly believe this is a guy that completes the defense from a very good to elite defense into an elite for all time (90s Cowboys, 00s Bucs) kind of defense.

• LB:
  • Trevardo Williams. Listed as DE, but played hybrid 2 and 3 point stances. Guy was incredibly productive and he displays significant desire and effort. You see it visibly that he doesn't just get blocked and stay blocked. He works and counters and doesn't quit. Productive. Competitive. Measurables. Sounds Seahawkish to me.
  • John Simon. Looking at him as a competitor to KJ Wright. I like Wright, but Simon improves the speed and strength. Further, Wright comes up for extension the same year as Sherman (and Carpenter). What happens if Carpenter has an injury free year and just completely dominates at LG? This is a team that is going to have to plow under some good fan favorites and Wright is one of those guys. Simon works for that purpose.

That said, I know Pete's declared Bruce Irvin his ideal LEO. But in my mind, Simon is that guy. He is a classic tweener. Good size and his physicality belies his smaller stature. He plays bigger than he is.

He simultaneously has the ability to be faster than he is -- particularly in his ability to close space and angles on the edge. He closes the deal. In explosive fashion. There are very few guys where the notion of 'forget the numbers' applies. For Simon, I believe they do.

If the LEO has to be physical enough to take on the point of attack on a run, and quick enough to maintain the outside shoulder free and have good enough pass rush skills to be able to attack a 1 v 1 blocker both on the edge and on the inside shoulder -- then I don't see a better fit than Simon.

I see Simon as being multi dimensional and being able to compete at more than one position. Guy is an incredibly productive football player and has all manner of *it* about him.
  • Philip Steward. I can't get this guy out of my head. In particular, I'm truly amazed at his ability to cover and to diagnose pass plays. He has a true gift for that. This is a particularly topical liability for this team -- because we were flat out bad at covering the middle third of the field.

These are three guys, who in particular stood out to me in game footage. Of course, take that with a grain of salt, because I didn't see Bobby Wagner in the same way as Seattle did. I felt Kendricks was a significantly better prospect. I had to go back to tape when we drafted him and thought he was good -- in the same class as Demario Davis who I really liked last year. More fluid and natural, but not as physical and punishing.

• FS:
  • Tyrann Mathieu. I should be clear. I'm totally ok with us not taking him. I don't really want him on this team. I've been a consistent critic of his and don't believe for a second he's a first round pick if only for the dope. But I do see qualities in his play that leave me to think he'd be a very good depth player to compete/replace Chris Maragos. He possesses a lot of skills that Earl does and does play best reacting to plays in front of him.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
In no particular order:

Marcus Lattimore, RB, So Carolina
DJ Swearinger, FS, So Carolina
Justin Pugh, OT, Syracuse
Darius Slay, CB, Miss St
Marcus Davis, WR, Va Tech

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":oiahga0z said:
Plus, I really hope we draft Daniels so I can use this image on the blog:

1582313.jpg

Speaking of QB Glamour shots ....

At least he has his shirt on. But seriously that looks like a cover for a Harlequin novel.

Bill Assumpcao

Reaction score
Brandon Williams, DT, Missouri Southern State
Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama
Gee.....
I think that I sense a pattern...
;)
BillA

Killa Kam

Reaction score
Da'Rick Rogers, He is an elite talent with some character concerns but if we can get him in the 3rd, I say the risk is worth it. Physical receiver with great size, something our receivers lack.

Sac

Reaction score
Swope: I'm with you on this for pretty much every reason you listed.

Zaviar Gooden: He's exactly the kind of speed freak PC loves, and could be a force if coached up.

Brandon Williams: something tells me he is going to develop into a monster at the next level. I'd live tip see what Quinn could do with him.

SDHawk

Reaction score
WR: Ryan Swope

Extremely quick and I think the best route runner in college football

OLB: Jayson DiManche or Michael Clay

Just look at the tape... well rounded and very undervalued. I would take DiManche over most of the early round LBs. I think Clay is great middle round value. Size is the negative but we all know from first hand experience that conventional thinking can be turned on its head.

DT: Brandon Williams and Bennie Logan

I think Williams perfect for depth behind Mebane and Logan could be our 3-tech of the future

DE/LEO: David Bass or Rufus Johnson

Maybe its the level of competition but these guys look like absolute beasts on tape

OT: David Quessenberry

I was higher on Brennan Williams, Long and Armstead at one point but then I saw the Senior Bowl practice footage. He was rock solid, only Sylvester Williams beat him on a spin move.

SS: Cooper Taylor, Duke Williams, Ray Polk

LOB material

TE: Kyle Juszczyk

Gronkowski with a moral compass. This guy has one of the best highlight videos on youtube. Jayson DiManche and Matt Elam might be the only ones with better.

CB: Brice Butler and Mark Harrison

Sherman and BB v2.0

RB: Latavius Murray or Knile Davis

I actually prefer Christine Michael but believe these two present better values and are more versatile.

KR/WR/RB: Sam McGuffie

Game-breaking talent for late round value

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Zach Ertz and Dustin Hopkins (I know it's odd rooting for a kicker I just think Hopkins could be a great one for years)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I really like Patton from La Tech. Reminds me of Greg Jennings. I would be down with Swope too.

I am hearing chatter now about Jason Dimanche from some respected sources, I hope we get him.

I know I am probably wrong, but I think Malaciah Goodman can play a pass rush 3 tech. I love what he does to guards with those long arms.

I want Stefan Charles too. I hope his measurables can translate to the field.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Nice work Atylla.

You know I've been on this site for six years and part of this community for 7 or 8 years, and this is the first time I've seen bullet points here. I didn't even know bullet points were possible in this format. That made my day.

Scottemojo":1zneeubp said:
I really like Patton from La Tech. Reminds me of Greg Jennings. I would be down with Swope too.

I am hearing chatter now about Jason Dimanche from some respected sources, I hope we get him.

I know I am probably wrong, but I think Malaciah Goodman can play a pass rush 3 tech. I love what he does to guards with those long arms.

I want Stefan Charles too. I hope his measurables can translate to the field.

I should probably take another look at Patton. Him and Dobson are the most vanilla WRs in this draft. I remember when I first heard about Patton and he was a projected 6th rounder at the time. I saw his tape and thought "yup, looks like a 6th rounder. A good 6th rounder." I was very impressed by Patton's interview that Rob linked on the blog though.

I with you on Demanche and Charles (I left them off the list because I knew you would mention them). Charles moves like Jason Jones despite being almost 30 pounds heavier. And Jason Jones was a 2nd round pick. I'm "okay" with Goodman as a Jason Jones project, but I prefer John Simon, Joe Kruger, and Lavar Edwards for that particular experiment.

Hasselbeck":1zneeubp said:
Zach Ertz and Dustin Hopkins (I know it's odd rooting for a kicker I just think Hopkins could be a great one for years)

I actually had Dustin Hopkins on the list but I thought my opening post was too long so he was one of the guys I trimmed off it. I certainly wouldn't mind getting Zach Ertz either, though I have cooled on him some.

Attyla the Hawk":1zneeubp said:
At least he has his shirt on. But seriously that looks like a cover for a Harlequin novel.

That's because it is.

Sac

Reaction score
The more i think about the more I'm convinced we'll take Brandon Williams or a player like him.

Yeah, i know, 3tech 3tech 3tech, but really, what depth do we have behind Bane? Nobody. That's who.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3n8hm6hi said:
The more i think about the more I'm convinced we'll take Brandon Williams or a player like him.

Yeah, i know, 3tech 3tech 3tech, but really, what depth do we have behind Bane? Nobody. That's who.

McDonald is actually really solid depth IMO. I don't think we take a big pudgy guy. Length seems to be what the hawks want.

Sac

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3ghs0xwx said:
SacHawk2.0":3ghs0xwx said:

McDonald is actually really solid depth IMO. I don't think we take a big pudgy guy. Length seems to be what the hawks want.

He's hardly a big pudgy guy and McDonald is not a nose tackle.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1noyjctk said:
Coug_Hawk08":1noyjctk said:
SacHawk2.0":1noyjctk said:

He is our depth behind bane whether you consider him a NT or not. . . If he was any better he wouldn't be depth anymore, he would be a starter somewhere.

I consider 6'1 335 to be big and pudgy.

Sac

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3d6r0k5u said:
SacHawk2.0":3d6r0k5u said:
Coug_Hawk08":3d6r0k5u said:
SacHawk2.0 said:

He is our depth behind bane whether you consider him a NT or not. . . If he was any better he wouldn't be depth anymore, he would be a starter somewhere.

I consider 6'1 335 to be big and pudgy.

This guy as is ripped as one could get being that heavy. I found a video of him a while back walking on his hands. Dude is a freak.

Latest posts