NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subzero717

Reaction score
No he did. He said we have no intentions of even coming close to matching. We are selling a wish and a dream and hope they buy it.

Looking at the playoff seeding (especially eastern conference) if expansion is our only hope I'm disappointed.

pinksheets

Reaction score
I think the things they'll be considering from here on out are: just approving the Seattle deal or figuring out which side gets expansion (I'd guess Sacramento, as it's a down the line conditional promise rather than the straight up signed, sealed, delivered promise it'd have to be for Seattle.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Man, I don't want to wait 1-2 more years for an expansion. It would definitely be better than nothing, but I am tired of waiting.

Throwdown

Reaction score
The Outfield":2dcaocwo said:
Man, I don't want to wait 1-2 more years for an expansion. It would definitely be better than nothing, but I am tired of waiting.

I'm gonna be pisstified if we gotta wait for expansion.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Throwdown":si9prar6 said:
The Outfield":si9prar6 said:

I'm gonna be pisstified if we gotta wait for expansion.
If they follow that up with "but here come the Coyotes next season!" I can deal.

I really don't think it makes sense to promise expansion to Seattle and let the Sacramento be without anything binding from that city or ownership group as of yet, from a business perspective. Sac will have no incentive to move briskly if their last real threat of relocation is gone.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Interesting comments today by Calabro over on 710 ESPN today. For those who might have missed it, he said he believes expansion is an option here. He could envision a scenario where Seattle gets the Kings and Sacramento gets the promise of an expansion team in 2 years (if they get their ducks all in a row) ... BUT he believes it's also quite possible the Kings stay in Sacramento and Seattle gets the promise of an expansion franchise within 2 years. Here is the link so you can listen for yourself ...

http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9954950&p=1013&n=Afternoons with the Go 2 Guy

JSeahawks

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where Paul Allen votes on this.

As the Blazers owner and the Seahawks owner it seems like it would make smart business sense to keep another franchise out of the northwest so he wouldnt have to fight for the sports fans dollar, or for the sponsorship money. But then as a Seattle native, obviously he would probably want an NBA team there. Is my recollection correct that he and Cuban were the only 2 that voted against Seattle leaving? Will he show the same loyalty to the fans of Sacramento as he did to the fans of Seattle? Or loyalty to his city, even though it will be in direct competition against two of his ownership entitites?

My gut is that he'll vote to move the Kings to Seattle. But it will be interesting to see.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Yes, Allen voted against the Sonics relocation. I agree, should be interesting. My bets are that he'd still vote for moving the Kings to Seattle.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Allen would be a fool to vote against Seattle getting the kings, the Seattle market won't accept the Blazers into their homes.

But he, through the Seahawks organization already showed support for Chris Hansen's efforts on the arena side, so I think we can count on Allen to vote for the right side and move the kings here.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sac's bid is in...

But as a committee of NBA team owners met here today to sort out the tug-of-war between the two cities, a source close to the situation described Sacramento's bid as a "non-binding term sheet."

Niiiiiiiiice :th2thumbs:

This source, who wasn't authorized to speak publicly, said Sacramento's bid would require the Maloof family, which controls the team, to terminate its deal with Seattle investor Chris Hansen even before the Sacramento group negotiates a final, binding offer. Under such a scenario, the NBA Board of Governors wouldn't even vote on the Hansen deal. The source added that, unlike Hansen, the Sacramento group's offer doesn't include a deposit.

Nice little touch one screwing yourself over already with the non-binding, then you ask the Maloofs to drop their leverage? How did these clowns become wealthy???

I hope the Kings players are looking for apartments in Seattle, this thing is OVER!

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2013/04/17/534911 ... #storylink#storylink=cpy

Throwdown

Reaction score
And now on Chris Daniels twitter, the offer isn't matching, on top of non binding, did they just mail it in? Or were ever serious? There's some 'splaining to be done to the Sacramento fans if this is true. They got bamboozled to the fullest extent of bamboozlement.

Sac

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ggrs2iw said:
And now on Chris Daniels twitter, the offer isn't matching, on top of non binding, did they just mail it in? Or were ever serious? There's some 'splaining to be done to the Sacramento fans if this is true. They got bamboozled to the fullest extent of bamboozlement.

Honestly Throw, it's really not surprising. An exNBA player that's mayor needs to at least "try" to keep the team in town...sigh...

Throwdown

Reaction score
I feel bad if its true that he was putting on a show based off trying to further his public service aspirations. That's not fair to the people that put him in that position.

But these are just sources, so we won't really know til we truly know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 3,928

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1od5ruez said:
It will be interesting to see where Paul Allen votes on this.

As the Blazers owner and the Seahawks owner it seems like it would make smart business sense to keep another franchise out of the northwest so he wouldnt have to fight for the sports fans dollar, or for the sponsorship money. But then as a Seattle native, obviously he would probably want an NBA team there. Is my recollection correct that he and Cuban were the only 2 that voted against Seattle leaving? Will he show the same loyalty to the fans of Sacramento as he did to the fans of Seattle? Or loyalty to his city, even though it will be in direct competition against two of his ownership entitites?

My gut is that he'll vote to move the Kings to Seattle. But it will be interesting to see.
Paul Allen grew up loving the Sonics - he tried to buy them but they were not available at the time - Paul Allen will vote WITH ENTHUSIASM to move the Kings to Seattle.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I'm confused, but I'll layout one potential reason for Sac's offer: Could they know that they have 8 votes to hold up the Seattle sale and by asking the Maloofs to back out before the vote they, Maloofs, could still get a decent amount of dough when they could get nothing when/if they the BOG denies the Seattle sale. I want to positive and happy, but until that vote happens and we have our Sonics back, thoughts like this will continue to run through my head.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
THe NBA has only voted no on a team sale once in their history, and that was because the money was hinkey - these guys are team owners who want to be able to sell their teams and make money.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":2swje4po said:
I'm confused, but I'll layout one potential reason for Sac's offer: Could they know that they have 8 votes to hold up the Seattle sale and by asking the Maloofs to back out before the vote they, Maloofs, could still get a decent amount of dough when they could get nothing when/if they the BOG denies the Seattle sale. I want to positive and happy, but until that vote happens and we have our Sonics back, thoughts like this will continue to run through my head.

If they knew they had 8 votes, then why ask for the Maloofs to drop the deal with Hansen?

They have the back up offer there if he's denied.

They don't have 8 votes and they weren't serious to begin with is how I'm seeing it.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":vpptswbs said:
Blitzer88":vpptswbs said:

If they knew they had 8 votes, then why ask for the Maloofs to drop the deal with Hansen?

So they wouldn't have to go through the process or save them from embarrassment? :229031_shrug:

Throwdown

Reaction score
There's no embarressment with the Maloofs, they literally are the definition of "no shame in my game".

Lol I don't get you, Blitzer, were you hurt as a child and just expect disappointment out of everything? I bet you're a riot to watch sports with.

Status
Not open for further replies.